Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2012, 10:18 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times

Advertisements

Unbelievable.... And here I thought their warehouses were robot heavens.....

I learned a new phrase too: ‘chaotic storage’ (don't laugh)

Forget Santa's Workshop! Inside an Amazon Warehouse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 10:24 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
How long would it take to defrag that storage?

Old 12-28-2012, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
How long would it take to defrag that storage?
What I'd like to know is that article says they have numerous global storage area's like that...

Old 12-28-2012, 02:27 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
What I'd like to know is that article says they have numerous global storage area's like that...
They're building one in NJ as we speak. Currently only north Jersey has same-day delivery and they want to extend it to all of NJ. I'm sure it takes quite a bit of creativity to have an online store that can get items to you as quickly as you can pick them up at Walmart.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:44 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
With the present day capability of computers keeping track of *addresses* or *locations*, who cares where items are stored ?
All it takes is one huge database of items versus location, then parse the list and you can find things immediately.
Actually a very simple solution, and they have proven that it works.

I once visited a huge warehouse in Phoenix and the difference was that the items were all kind of big, compared to items Amazon may sell, which could be as small as a pack of cigarettes.
When the daily order was *picked* and loaded into the delivery trucks, I did not see one *person* picking stuff. It was all mechanical, and the computer decided also how to load the trucks, so that *first in*, would then be *last out*, on their computer decided driving route.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
With the present day capability of computers keeping track of *addresses* or *locations*, who cares where items are stored ?

All it takes is one huge database of items versus location, then parse the list and you can find things immediately.
Actually a very simple solution, and they have proven that it works.

I once visited a huge warehouse in Phoenix and the difference was that the items were all kind of big, compared to items Amazon may sell, which could be as small as a pack of cigarettes.
When the daily order was *picked* and loaded into the delivery trucks, I did not see one *person* picking stuff. It was all mechanical, and the computer decided also how to load the trucks, so that *first in*, would then be *last out*, on their computer decided driving route.
Obviously you failed to understand the concept of chaotic storage.....

Old 12-28-2012, 04:17 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Obviously you failed to understand the concept of chaotic storage.....
I definitively understand the principle.

All I am saying is that they are not alone in doing this.
As I stated, what I saw in Phoenix years ago was also everything anywhere where there was an *opening*. Thus not by part number or part name.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Default Santa's workshop

That place looks like my 'spare' room on steroids. You know the place where stuff goes to disappear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology