Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2013, 08:20 AM

377 posts, read 575,550 times

Advertisements

The family of Ed Martin has just notified us former employees. It will be in the Washington Post.
This is a huge part of my own existence. It really all began at Western Electric with John Robinson Pierce. I'll never forget in 1970 when I first started using the words "Earth Station". It was the Andover Antenna. I felt I was living in sci-fi. I said to myself, Moses climbed a mountain, I can climb higher to speak to "god". I thought "god" then but now I KNOW it's even a greater concept, YHWH. That was the beginning of the 21st Century for me. It's seamless as far as universal honesty is concerned. The triumph of the human mind for all the Planet Earth.

COMSAT History Project

John R. Pierce - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is really, it turns out, the story that Joe White told me about J.R.Pierce that wonderful long distance telephone conversation which I then verified. I also wrote to him about a decade later at Stanford to thank him. I told him I thought he might have been hurt by the feds taking over his project. He sent me a post card saying he was "hurt". But he admired the people who appreciated it all afterward.
I was taking music in retirement at that time and had discovered that he was involved in computerized music at that time that I wrote him and also taking electronic composition. I didn't mention that though.
Another funny coincidence at the time after the telephone call to Joe White. I don't recall who it was, at COMSAT, but someone whispered to me in the midst of my own work that the Library was getting rid of books and I might like to look them over because they were going to be trashed. I found the Monologue of J.R. Pierce about the first International hookup by satellite that he participated in (and other data that is in this article) and it was so exciting to read this. Under the auspices of AT&T at Western Electric. What an exciting book.
This is what I might label proto-international satellite communications history.

This is what I read in his published monologue. I've been wanting this to be available to every one.
http://historyday.crf-usa.org/2709/d...rce_memoir.pdf

Last edited by Yac; 01-14-2013 at 02:21 AM.. Reason: 3 posts in a row merged
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology