Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 04:40 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times

Advertisements

Since there is so much advancement in 3D printers I thought it deserved it own thread. Honestly I can't remember a technology moving this fast this early in its development. This is something I know I will have its only a matter of "when" not "if" and it looks like that "when" will be sooner then I had thought.

This is from MIT:

Nanoscribe, a spin-off from the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology in Germany, has developed a tabletop 3-D microprinter that can create complicated microstructures 100 times faster than is possible today. “If something took one hour to make, it now takes less than one minute,” says Michael Thiel, chief scientific officer at Nanoscribe. While 3-D printing of toys, iPhone covers, and jewelry continues to grab headlines (see “The Difference Between Makers and Manufacturers”), much of 3-D printing’s impact could be at a much smaller scale. Micrometer-scale printing has shown promise for making medical and electronic devices. Thiel says it should be possible to speed up his company’s microprinting technique even more in the future. Nanoscribe plans to start selling its machine in the second half of this year.

The link: Nanoscribe Will Sell a Micro 3-D Printer That Creates Tiny Structures in Seconds | MIT Technology Review
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 07:05 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
An entire sub-forum for a printer?

You gotta be kidding......

It's a promising technology but like so many promising technologies, lets wait to see what the government, big business and the general population says about it first....

What appeals to me is the promise of printing my own guns.....

3D-print your own real gun at home (video)

http://americablog.com/2013/02/3d-print-gun.html

Old 03-05-2013, 07:08 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
Where does he say sub forum ? I see thread ...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Old 03-06-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
An entire sub-forum for a printer?

You gotta be kidding......

It's a promising technology but like so many promising technologies, lets wait to see what the government, big business and the general population says about it first....

What appeals to me is the promise of printing my own guns.....

Not a sub forum just a thread.

This is the beginning of a replicator like you see on Star Trek. In theory all the replicator does it take molecules and uses energy to make them in to what ever the person wants. Given how fast this technology is moving we should be able to do that in a decade or two.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:06 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Not a sub forum just a thread.

This is the beginning of a replicator like you see on Star Trek. In theory all the replicator does it take molecules and uses energy to make them in to what ever the person wants. Given how fast this technology is moving we should be able to do that in a decade or two.
Sorry, my bad.... I assumed since this had already been discussed you meant forum......

Printing nukes with a 3D printer

Old 03-06-2013, 05:05 PM

I did not see that thread that is why I made this one.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:07 PM

Default Researchers developing 3D printer, 'bio-ink' to create human organs

As I have posted this field is moving very fast. Now they are working on 3D pronters that can print entire organs.

This is from PHYS.ORG

Experts agree that rising Chinese labor costs and improving U.S. technology will gradually cause significant manufacturing activity to return to the United States. When it does, a new interdisciplinary manufacturing venture called the Advanced Manufacturing Technology (AMTecH) group at the University of Iowa College of Engineering's Center for Computer Aided Design (CCAD) will likely help lead the charge.

The link: Researchers developing 3D printer, 'bio-ink' to create human organs (w/ video)

The video:

This is out of KGAN 2 in Cedar Rapids Iowa

Old 03-11-2013, 04:11 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
I have seen video of how these printers work, And it is amazing! The lab in the video replicated a wrench, A fully working wrench down to every detail.

They are looking very far ahead, But one firm is envisioning using this type of tech to create habitable structures on the Moon and mars.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:14 PM

Im not sure its as far as you might think. 25 - 50 years maybe?

Old 03-11-2013, 08:59 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
[b]Since there is so much advancement in 3D printers I thought it deserved it own thread. Honestly I can't remember a technology moving this fast this early in its development.
"so early in its development"

I saw a 3-D printer at the San Diego Supercomputer Center back in the year 2000, back when there were only a few of them in the world. In those days, the center was letting other institutions print on its printer, since they didn't have one of their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology