Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 04:02 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,132 times

Advertisements

I'm stopping this fight before it breaks out. It would be great if everybody would calm down and focus on discussing the actual topic of the thread.
Yac.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:47 AM

486 posts, read 863,071 times
Just watched the entire video (yes some people want to see information in its entirety). Couple of
thoughts 1. If China is aware of this, they're probably "freaking out" or planning & preparing on
how much less they can pay their people and exploit them.
2. What happens when the power goes out?
3. I wonder if it's possible to have computers & technology inspect our food? Since funding for
that is being cut (plus we never really have enough employees for this), I think "robots"
would help with inspections to catch anything harmful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 10:04 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key4lp View Post
Just watched the entire video (yes some people want to see information in its entirety).

Couple of thoughts

1. If China is aware of this, they're probably "freaking out" or planning & preparing on
how much less they can pay their people and exploit them.
They might be then again maybe not, at least now. I mean its not like many people in the U.S. understand this at this point either. Plus its not like this is the new normal and if China could change the rates to this they would be ok. This is just the start of computers/ robots taking jobs away and it will impact every job sector. I can even envision students starting college for a degree that looks good then by the time they graduate already be obsolete. That has never happened in the history of society and the impact is going to effect everyone. Another example is I own a fast food restaurant and in time I think it will cheaper for me to have robots do the work then pay the employees and health insurance.

I want to add that while I sound like a pessimistic person I am actually very optimistic about the future, it will just be different. The problem I think society will face is getting from point A to point B, and what will point b be, especially in the job market. In my opinion it will require major economic changes and I wonder how we are going to accomplish that in the short time we will have to do it in, in less then 10 maybe 20 years at most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by key4lp View Post
2. What happens when the power goes out?

I don't understand this question.

3. I wonder if it's possible to have computers & technology inspect our food? Since funding for
that is being cut (plus we never really have enough employees for this), I think "robots"
would help with inspections to catch anything harmful.
Yes and they will do a better job.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:30 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
I'm stopping this fight before it breaks out. It would be great if everybody would calm down and focus on discussing the actual topic of the thread.
Yac.
That would be nice. Thank you.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:36 AM

391 posts, read 840,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
So you're the op, wooohoooo.......... BFD

Is that supposed to mean something?

You want exponential technological advancement?

Need big wars for that and none are on the horizon....

Want technology advancement? Here ya go:

My gun is bigger then yours

What's funny about technical unemployment is how quickly the rich want to be broke themselves. If everyone is broke, no one is going to buy anything.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:09 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kremit View Post

What's funny about technical unemployment is how quickly the rich want to be broke themselves. If everyone is broke, no one is going to buy anything.
This is not being driven by the rich but by computer innovation. This will impact everyone including the rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology