Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 06:47 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times

Advertisements

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weathe...re-fo/13452801

INSANE footage inside of a violent tornado with TIV2 - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 07:19 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
The tornado that hit Moore, OK brought this to light more than any other in recent memory. There are now a lot of people asking why schools and other public locations are not required to have them.
...Or require that all new construction have a basement or at least a storm cellar.

I'm calling BS on the excuse that the soil in OK makes basements too expensive. I guess these pundits have never been to the east coast with its high water tables - where almost every home and building has a basement.

The price of doing things on the cheap.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:57 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
...Or require that all new construction have a basement or at least a storm cellar.

I'm calling BS on the excuse that the soil in OK makes basements too expensive. I guess these pundits have never been to the east coast with its high water tables - where almost every home and building has a basement.

The price of doing things on the cheap.
I think you hit it on the head.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:03 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,845,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I hate to use movies as examples but in Star Trek they have weather nets that disperse the tornado as it begins to form. The kind of technology that would be required to acomplish that is currently way beyond us so we need to deal with them the best we can by being as prepared as we can be.
Did the path of the Moore tornado stop at that huge lake?? Some tornados seem to stop at the water.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:22 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Did the path of the Moore tornado stop at that huge lake?? Some tornados seem to stop at the water.
Honestly I don't know but if it goes on water its called a water spout.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:35 AM

15 posts, read 40,151 times
It is not impossible to disrupt tornados but everything on this planet is a part of large eco system. We have already disturbed it and paying a huge price (damaged ozone layer and many other environmental problems). I don't think it would be beneficial in any way to disrupt tornados. However, we can take measures to decrease/eliminate human life and property loss. Better construction style and improved forecasting systems can help us in this regard.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyday10 View Post
It is not impossible to disrupt tornados but everything on this planet is a part of large eco system. We have already disturbed it and paying a huge price (damaged ozone layer and many other environmental problems). I don't think it would be beneficial in any way to disrupt tornados. However, we can take measures to decrease/eliminate human life and property loss. Better construction style and improved forecasting systems can help us in this regard.
We've damaged the ozone layer? How did we do that, cow farting?

Old 05-31-2013, 01:20 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
You didn't know the ozone layer was damaged? Where have you been for the last decade?

Old 05-31-2013, 01:47 PM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Default "Ground Control to Major Kong..."

Dr. Strangelove: Major Kong Rides The Bomb 1080p - YouTube

Old 05-31-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
You didn't know the ozone layer was damaged? Where have you been for the last decade?
Um, yeah.
Time-series (1996 to 2012) of total polar ozone mean values over the months of September, October and November as measured by GOME, SCIAMACHY and GOME-2 flown on ERS-2, Envisat and MetOp-A, respectively. Smaller ozone holes are evident

(Phys.org)—Satellites show that the recent ozone hole over Antarctica was the smallest seen in the past decade. Long-term observations also reveal that Earth's ozone has been strengthening following international agreements to protect this vital layer of the atmosphere.

Read more at: Is the ozone layer on the road to recovery?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology