Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 07:25 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times

Advertisements

Why is it that people keep predicting we'll look like aliens in the future? If technology will allow us to look however we want, won't we all look like supermodels or movie stars instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 07:40 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
I need more than a youtube video, give me peer reviewed articles that say our intelligence is advancing exponentially. Obviously based on IQ scores people today seem more intelligent than say 20-40 years ago, but to say it's increasing exponentially is a stretch.
This is more then a YouTube video. It was from a documentary on the History Channel called the history of the world in 2 hours and they have a good reputation.

This is a review from the NY Times: http://tv.nytimes.com/2011/10/06/art...view.html?_r=0

Old 06-14-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Why is it that people keep predicting we'll look like aliens in the future? If technology will allow us to look however we want, won't we all look like supermodels or movie stars instead?
So true.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:29 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times
No, because the portion of the human population driving technological advancements is being extincted. The rest of us will stagnate, and then regress.

Then again, since they are also the guardians of the Environment, once they're gone, the giant corporations will be free to rape the planet with impunity. Dead Planet = No Future Humans.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
No, because the portion of the human population driving technological advancements is being extincted. The rest of us will stagnate, and then regress.

Then again, since they are also the guardians of the Environment, once they're gone, the giant corporations will be free to rape the planet with impunity. Dead Planet = No Future Humans.
Technology is actually doing the opposite. First it's bringing up the standard of living for everyone and second it's saving the planet.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:21 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,821,978 times
Those large eyes are scary looking. I prefer the way we look now to any of those!

Old 06-17-2013, 09:24 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
I've been seeing this "This is how Humans will Look in 100,000 years" thing on the Internet several times lately, and it's completely stupid on several levels.

The guy had initially claimed that we would all look like this due to evolution in 100,000 years. It was quickly pointed out that 100,000 years is nowhere near long enough for changes like these to happen, so he backpedaled by saying, "No, wait, I meant we'll all look like this 100,000 years because of gene therapy and body mods!"

Apparently this includes having giant pupils to see in the dark because flashlight technology apparently doesn't exist in the future.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:35 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,599,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
I've been seeing this "This is how Humans will Look in 100,000 years" thing on the Internet several times lately, and it's completely stupid on several levels.

The guy had initially claimed that we would all look like this due to evolution in 100,000 years. It was quickly pointed out that 100,000 years is nowhere near long enough for changes like these to happen, so he backpedaled by saying, "No, wait, I meant we'll all look like this 100,000 years because of gene therapy and body mods!"

Apparently this includes having giant pupils to see in the dark because flashlight technology apparently doesn't exist in the future.
True

Old 06-24-2013, 01:43 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post

Yeah I thought this as well. There are many roads and many other possibilities that could eventually change our make up. From space travel to events on earth.

First, initially I'd assume the people would be a lot darker, because we would mix more.

Our eyes would get more narrow if China and India continue to take over.

And if we were to eventually travel into space for an extended period of time without gravity, our bone structure would change as well.

Our eyes would not get bigger, in fact if we were around ultra bright labs and spaceships, our eyes would get even smaller.

---

This "story" just seems like a fluff "what if" hidden under the guise of a scientific extrapolation.

It would have been a lot more interesting with multiple perspectives and multiple artists renditions.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:04 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
Yeah I thought this as well. There are many roads and many other possibilities that could eventually change our make up. From space travel to events on earth.

First, initially I'd assume the people would be a lot darker, because we would mix more.

Our eyes would get more narrow if China and India continue to take over.

And if we were to eventually travel into space for an extended period of time without gravity, our bone structure would change as well.

Our eyes would not get bigger, in fact if we were around ultra bright labs and spaceships, our eyes would get even smaller.

---

This "story" just seems like a fluff "what if" hidden under the guise of a scientific extrapolation.

It would have been a lot more interesting with multiple perspectives and multiple artists renditions.
I agree. The illustrations mainly show big anime type eyes. As cites grew and more artificial light came about and the ozone layer thins it's more light, Not less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology