Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 08:43 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist of Lime View Post
Not simply different, but the circumnavigating clock had measured slightly less time to a degree specifically predicted by Relativity.
That depended on whether it travelled east bound or west bound, and it was only within error bound, not the value specifically predicted by both gravitational and kinematic time dilations, however an aircraft flying at any altitude isn't an inertial frame so...

IIRC West bound was faster by 200-300 ns and east bound was slower by 50-100ns might be wrong but close enough for government work.

Meanwhile this is an interesting discussion and all...

But it's not pertinent to the thread.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:47 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,021,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I personally do not believe in time travel. I also do not agree that a worm hole is a time travel portal nor would bending space, even if feasible, and being able to travel from point A to point B in matter of seconds, can be considered "time travel".
To me, it is, simply traveling extremely fast but time is still moving forward in a leaner format.
Further more, going back in time is and will never be feasible because that time has already passed and there is not way to alter that.

Time travel, in a mortal and physical sense, is impossible for humans but it has been for a long while back where I came from...

But time travel into the future is plausible. All you need is a fast enough ship to leave and come back to Earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 09:04 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piyf View Post
But time travel into the future is plausible. All you need is a fast enough ship to leave and come back to Earth.
Time travel to the future is not just plausible it's impossible to avoid, every second of every minute, of every hour, of every day (you get the picture) we're translating along the time axis.

Relativistic time dilation could be used to "skip" over many years, but, why would you want to when it's a one way trip? Time travel seems like its cool and all, but when you consider that in real terms (barring the many universe theory being right) it may be a one way trip (at worst a death sentence with no real means to accurately determine whether those sent live or die), it becomes less cool, especially if you don't know what the situation at the other end might be (i.e. heading off into the future).

Old 07-30-2013, 09:10 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist of Lime View Post
Not simply different, but the circumnavigating clock had measured slightly less time to a degree specifically predicted by Relativity.
That's true, which was demonstrated, as I said. When the clock on the flight returned, there was a difference between it and the clock on the ground. Both were set identical before the flight. I'm pretty sure the one on the ground was used as the standard for the sake of comparison. However, as I also said, it doesn't really matter which clock was considered as 'official'. They were both official. Sometimes it helps wording things in easier ways to understand. I still have no idea what the poster meant about 'manipulation' though when there was no manipulation involved at all.

I agree with your point that "there is no official time", although you gave no helpful examples as to why. There are loads of different ways to measure time. For example, Irwin Shapiro first noticed the time delay in 1964, and used the MIT Haystack radar antenna in 1966 abd 1967 to bounce signals off Mercury and Venus to test the gravitational time delay as they began to pass behind the Sun relative to our line of sight. The result confirmed that the gravitational field of the Sun could warp space and time. This effect is known as the Shapiro Delay or Shapiro Time Delay. The Shapiro Delay has been demonstrated many times since then with much more precise equipment.

Shapiro delay - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shapiro delay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shapiro Time Delay Animation

Q & A: How does Shapiro delay work? | Department of Physics | University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Old 07-30-2013, 10:45 PM

588 posts, read 795,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Relativistic time dilation could be used to "skip" over many years, but, why would you want to when it's a one way trip?
Even as a one-way trip, I there would still be volunteers. I might volunteer if I was nearing the final years of my life and I could either take someone most close to me or if those closest to me had already died. It would be quite amazing to see the world how it will be in a thousand years. If it is a miserable place, I still haven't thrown my life's happiness away.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:09 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,832 times
Time is a concept not a thing or an object that can be altered through techonology.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:09 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
1. Is time travel possible?

Many people smarter than me seem to think so. I have no basis in this, but I think it is.

2. If time travel is possible, would you go backward in time or forward?

Back. Because I wouldn't want to risk running into the end of Earth.

a. Which specific period or era would you travel to and why?

Probably the age of dinosaurs. I'd have to be careful not to sneeze, though.

b. If you go backward in time, would you change pieces of human history?

No, even stopping Hitler could make events possible that are even worse.

c. If you go forward in time, what do you hopefully expect to see?

3. Would it be moral for humans to travel through space as they choose?

That's a tough one, I think. It would definitely not be moral to go back in time to change things for selfish reasons (saving a family member, for instance). But, simply the act of travelling would change things so one could say it isn't moral.

4. Is it healthy for the human mind to travel back in time due to a longing sense of nostalgia?

No idea.

5. Would we be destroying the laws of physics and nature if we could manipulate time to our choosing?

No idea.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:13 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,051,546 times
if the universe is inside a computer then one could create a second computer and start it with the state the previous one had at some point in the past. A sort of pseudo-time travel.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:12 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindTheCure
2. If time travel is possible, would you go backward in time or forward?

[i] a. Which specific period or era would you travel to and why?
I would goto 1984 and buy 100s of dollars worth of plain m&ms!! (i miss them so much (They were changed in 2000 to using skim milk and taste like garbage now))

I would goto Mcdonalds and get a BIG MAC!!! (They were so good before the sauce was changed to crap)

I would buy many boxs of GOLDEN GRAIN "MACARONI AND CHEDDER" (Ahhhhhhhh my favourite mac and cheese ever)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

Old 08-12-2013, 09:32 PM

167 posts, read 377,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I would goto 1984 and buy 100s of dollars worth of plain m&ms!! (i miss them so much (They were changed in 2000 to using skim milk and taste like garbage now))

I would goto Mcdonalds and get a BIG MAC!!! (They were so good before the sauce was changed to crap)

I would buy many boxs of GOLDEN GRAIN "MACARONI AND CHEDDER" (Ahhhhhhhh my favourite mac and cheese ever)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!
Nice to see someone love food as much as me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology