Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 08:47 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times

Advertisements

"No" to question #1, which makes the rest of them inapplicable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 01:07 PM

588 posts, read 795,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
So where are they? Why have we NEVER seen them? Crowds of them, even if i's just the guys who want to see some v. special World Series game? Or the International World of Amateur Curling championships from 1986?
Reminds me of the time-travel party that Stephen Hawking hosted a few years ago and nobody showed up.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:25 PM

588 posts, read 795,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindTheCure View Post
1. Is time travel possible?

2. If time travel is possible, would you go backward in time or forward?

a. Which specific period or era would you travel to and why?

b. If you go backward in time, would you change pieces of human history?

c. If you go forward in time, what do you hopefully expect to see?

3. Would it be moral for humans to travel through space as they choose?

4. Is it healthy for the human mind to travel back in time due to a longing sense of nostalgia?

5. Would we be destroying the laws of physics and nature if we could manipulate time to our choosing?
1. If it is, it may likely be impossible for any civilization to achieve the conditions or to acquire the amount of energy necessary.
2. I would go backwards to buy stocks.
c. Forward in time, I would hope to finally see jet packs.
3. I think you meant "travel through time as they choose". Yes, it would certainly cause some moral issues to resolve.
4. Healthy? Probably not. The movie "Butterfly Effect" should have already reminded us why.
5. No, we would not be destroying the laws of physics. Instead we would still depend on them for time travel.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:43 PM

167 posts, read 377,640 times
Sorry, all and thanks for Data1000 for pointing it out.

For Question 3, I meant to ask if it's moral to travel through time.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:25 PM

3,464 posts, read 4,834,647 times
Time travel as the OP is describing is not possible. Once it has happened it has happened. You can't skip ahead years...they haven't happened yet. The only way you could possibly believe this type of time travel is possible would be if you believe in "intelligent design" nonsense and you could manipulate the "grand plan." From a scientific perspective, that is complete garbage.

The actual time travel that technically and scientifically would be possible given the technology was developed would be traveling at speeds much greater than the speed of light to get how many ever days/weeks/months/years ahead of the light you wanted to be, then stop, set up a telescope powerful enough to look back at earth and see the event take place. Of course if it was inside or not visible from space at the time, you aren't going to be able to see the event. You wouldn't be able to interact in the event because obviously it has already happened and if you yelled, sent a message back or whatever, it would have already happened earlier in time. Other than that, time travel is just science fiction.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:15 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,451,005 times
I think time travel could be away that we will be able to bring back our loved ones. My theory is this. If we can somehow get their body right before they die and leave a "fake" body in its place then the people at the time of death will not be any wiser and we will have the real person. Then we can wake them up and cure them and life goes on.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:52 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,308,065 times
I do believe in "time travel", we have not seen visitors from the "future" because they find out fast that more than a few millisec time shift causes a major time paradox like in the movie Sound of Thunder.

Think about it ... You go back to a turning point in your life and "change" things ... How could you go back and change things?

Would I go back and change anything? NO, because I realize that most likely everything after that point would change too and unless you are dying or on death row you could make things much worse.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:15 PM

125 posts, read 132,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I'd say time travel does not exist, and that time is more a mental perception than anything.. it exists because we believe it to exist.. when we look into the stars we can say we are looking 'back in time' because light travels at 186,200 miles per second, but it's all a mind game... whether time slows as we speed up is a matter for debate, but could we go back in time if we exceeded the speed of light? We simply don't have the technological means to achieve this yet even if proven to be true.... if time slows so we spend 20 years going half the speed of light that means when we get back earth would have aged 40 years? That's not what I would call time travel per say... our bodies still age.. could we go back in time and 'meet ourselves' .. unlikely.... but who knows... personally I can think of better ways of spending my time. : )
No. Time dilation has been experimentally demonstrated many times. The most famous of these demonstrations was the Hafele-Keating Experiment, in which atomic clocks were synchonized and one group was placed on airliners that circled the globe multiple times. The circumnavigating clocks marked time at slightly slower rates compared to the control clocks, those rates predicted by relativity.

And clocks aboard the GPS satellites are corrected so that they are in sync with earthbound clocks. Essentially, these clocks are set to mark time slightly faster than relatively stationary clocks; the time-dilation due to their orbital velocities then slow their time-marking rate down to where they match clocks on Earth.

So, time travel forward is possible (at even faster speeds than normal, as we are continually travelling forward thru time). The trick is gaining sufficient velocity to make it matter. Bit of a problem, that.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:13 AM

3,464 posts, read 4,834,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist of Lime View Post
No. Time dilation has been experimentally demonstrated many times. The most famous of these demonstrations was the Hafele-Keating Experiment, in which atomic clocks were synchonized and one group was placed on airliners that circled the globe multiple times. The circumnavigating clocks marked time at slightly slower rates compared to the control clocks, those rates predicted by relativity.

And clocks aboard the GPS satellites are corrected so that they are in sync with earthbound clocks. Essentially, these clocks are set to mark time slightly faster than relatively stationary clocks; the time-dilation due to their orbital velocities then slow their time-marking rate down to where they match clocks on Earth.

So, time travel forward is possible (at even faster speeds than normal, as we are continually travelling forward thru time). The trick is gaining sufficient velocity to make it matter. Bit of a problem, that.
But the advance in time is only relative to your particular clock, when you return to earth, the earth bound clocks are in real time earth. You haven't accomplished anything other than tricking the clock you were traveling with. Earth time is really only relative anyway and is based on the Earth and the Sun so regardless of how you manipulate a clock, time on Earth is still advancing at the same rate. If you could travel fast enough and advance an atomic clock 50 years and then came back to Earth, guess what would happen......your clock would just be 50 years ahead of real Earth time and everyone would be laughing at you when you thought you were 50 years in the future.

Have any of you that buy into some of these nonsensical science fiction theories ever actually taken a Quantum Physics course? Probably not or you would see that all you are doing is manipulating clocks but not actual time. What you are doing is essentially the same as installing a higher voltage battery in a battery operated clock which makes the oscillator run at a higher rate and speed up the clocks time.....like the atomic clock experiment, you still aren't going into the future.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:39 PM

125 posts, read 132,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
But the advance in time is only relative to your particular clock, when you return to earth, the earth bound clocks are in real time earth. You haven't accomplished anything other than tricking the clock you were traveling with. Earth time is really only relative anyway and is based on the Earth and the Sun so regardless of how you manipulate a clock, time on Earth is still advancing at the same rate. If you could travel fast enough and advance an atomic clock 50 years and then came back to Earth, guess what would happen......your clock would just be 50 years ahead of real Earth time and everyone would be laughing at you when you thought you were 50 years in the future.

Have any of you that buy into some of these nonsensical science fiction theories ever actually taken a Quantum Physics course? Probably not or you would see that all you are doing is manipulating clocks but not actual time. What you are doing is essentially the same as installing a higher voltage battery in a battery operated clock which makes the oscillator run at a higher rate and speed up the clocks time.....like the atomic clock experiment, you still aren't going into the future.
You clearly don't understand time dilation.

Clocks are not 'tricked'. They measure the passage of time. When time dilation occurs, time moves slower relative to a locale against which one is moving at a high velocity. The clocks only measures the time. The Hafele-Keating Experiement showed that time passed faster on Earth than it did on the circumnavigating airliners. The clocks only measured this.

You are very confused. And amusingly arrogant in your confusion.

I'll let the University of Wisconsin Physics Department explain it for you (though something tells me you think the physicists at UW are people who believe 'nonsensical science fiction theories' and have 'never taken a quantum physics course', and that you know better).
http://uw.physics.wisc.edu/~himpsel/...y107Lect17.pdf

Or Carl Sagan can explain it to you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Jc4OgBCKmV8

Last edited by Twist of Lime; 07-26-2013 at 04:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology