Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 09:58 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
I liked the tractor feed on my dot matrix ... The biiiz buzz bizz buzz would drive me nuts so I set it to print and left.

At a previous job they would print out reports for archiving that would take up whole boxes of paper, THAT printer was in a "sound proof" encloser in another room.
We still use faxes and dot matrix printers in our ( otherwise modern) hospital.
How we supposed to print triplicates on regular printers? I some instances we do need triplicates, and not 3 exact same documents printed separately.
There is a stuff we do enter into computer, and there is paperwork that has to be printed and filled out per hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 10:06 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I'd rather FAX personal information than email it. If you've ever seen the output of a packet sniffer, you know that email is not secure at all.
Well, faxes are not secure either. We have faxes scattered everywhere, some go to the wrong department, some end in paper-baskets, or get misfiled, sometimes people use the blank backside to write notes.
I know a doctor who would make his office workers collect all the faxes they received during the day and use the blank site to fax out documents the next day. This was his idea of saving on paper...

Old 07-23-2013, 05:31 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,307 times
I will take my coffee percolator any day. We have tried all kinds of drip coffeemakers, and they don't let the flavor come through like the percolator does. And the house smells like a coffee shop. So nice. Wristwatches are great, and while I was working, I always wore one. When I retired, I could care less about the time.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:48 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Well, faxes are not secure either. We have faxes scattered everywhere, some go to the wrong department, some end in paper-baskets, or get misfiled, sometimes people use the blank backside to write notes.
I know a doctor who would make his office workers collect all the faxes they received during the day and use the blank site to fax out documents the next day. This was his idea of saving on paper...
I routinely get efaxes from a lender with confidential client information.
I have never met the lender; they are not my clients; and the lender has yet to fix the fax number.

Insecure FAX/Email Hybrid!!!

Old 07-23-2013, 07:16 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Whatever.
You don't think a fax can be intercepted and reconstructed?
Ask the NSA about that.
The VoIP service I use with my FAX machine encases SIP traffic in a VPN tunnel. It's not the NSA I'm worried about, but I'm satisfied that any identity thieves who get in the middle of that path aren't going to get anything useful out of my faxes.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:21 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Quote:
That would be a liability issue on the receiver's end. If identity thieves get my information in the receiver's facility, I can sue the receiver, because I've done everything I can possibly do to get the information to the recipient in a secure fashion.

I can't be bothered to worry about what happens on a site I can't control.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:32 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatocoenosis View Post
Many students, doing field work, happily display their current accelerometer enabled apps on their cell phones... and they are cool, but...

Field work being what it is(12 of the last 48 hours raining... miles away from any electric source other than the vehicle whose alternator gave out putting you in this position), you rely on your trusty pocket transit and gather the needed data.
Not to mention, the calibration on lots of measurement apps is wretched. Certainly not good enough for real-life usage.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:33 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I think the Google glasses will overtake them.
Not! I (for one) paid big bucks for LASIK so I wouldn't have to wear glasses.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:43 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
True.

And no one ever sends email to the wrong person so they are definitely way better for security.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:42 AM

2,757 posts, read 4,000,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Whatever.
You don't think a fax can be intercepted and reconstructed?
Ask the NSA about that.
You're right.

Someone once faxed a patient's medical results to my job. Thing was, this wasn't our client/patient. This confidential info was faxed to the wrong place(us). Besides, we were a completely different industry.

I shredded the info; faxed the cover sheet back to the other place - and noted (for their sake and ours)that they had the wrong place, and that we shredded their patient's info.

So, faxing isn't "safe", either. Really, nothing is ... Oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology