Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2013, 04:00 PM

774 posts, read 1,693,588 times

Advertisements

Somewhere between fascinating and scary imho...

Quote:
Disruptions: As New Targets for Hackers, Your Car and Your House

Imagine driving on the freeway at 60 miles per hour and your car suddenly screeches to a halt, causing a pileup that injures dozens of people. Now imagine you had absolutely nothing to do with the accident because your car was taken over by hackers.

Charlie Miller, a security researcher at Twitter, and Chris Valasek, director of security intelligence at IOActive, a security research company, recently demonstrated car hacks at the DefCon computer security conferences in Las Vegas. The researchers completely disabled a driver’s ability to control a vehicle. No brakes. Distorted steering. All with a click of a button. While the demos were with hybrid cars, researchers warn that dozens of modern vehicles could be susceptible...

“Right now, there aren’t a lot of ways for hackers to remotely attack cars: Bluetooth, wireless tire sensors, telematics units,” he added. “But as cars get Internet connections, things will get easier for the attacker.”

But the demonstrations by security experts and hackers weren’t a peek at what’s to come. The researchers hacked a Toyota Prius and Ford Escape, two hybrid cars that are already on the road...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 04:17 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,021 times
A lot of truth here. Technicians working on the car can control all those components hooked up to the ECM with one cable - and this has been a capability for a while. With wireless signals, telematics, internet, and services like OnStar having access to the ECM nowadays, it is very much possible to gain control if it remotely. If it isn't already happening, it is coming very very soon.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 954 times
These posts where a few months ago but I need advise. I received a message through my car speakers that said "system has recieved virus update"....... Sonic - onstar confirmed it was not them, nor sat radio. took to dealership and they said my computer was not communicating w/the car and they didn't know how it was even starting. Today I picked car up they gave it an "Update" and said its fixed but they couldn't say what caused it and couldn't assure me that it wouldn't happen again & couldn't tell me where the message came from except that it was not GM Motors........How concerned should I be with this... Oh and the paper work telling me what the update was is actually an update for a car that has remote start and produces this code after a remote start.... I don't have remote start!!!!! Any one else seen this problem..... I can't find anything on it but I don't like recieving any message w/the words "virus update" on anything...exspecially the car my child rides in everyday

Old 04-15-2014, 12:49 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
Somewhere between fascinating and scary imho...
Hackers have always been able to do that really but it didn't take as much skill in past.The thing was there has to be a motive to do it.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:42 PM
Zot

468 posts, read 681,450 times
Anything digital with any sort of communication capability is subject to hacking. Sadly car makers won't understand the danger they are putting consumers in until they lose a few billion in litigation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology