Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you plan on getting cryogenically preserved?
Yes 4 14.29%
Maybe 2 7.14%
No 22 78.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 08:28 PM

9,093 posts, read 6,314,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
No way would I want to be brought back. For what? It would be like Rip Van Winkle awakening to an unfamiliar world, where everyone you knew is dead and gone. One earthly life is enough, and I look forward to my spiritual life once this body bites the dust.
Plus future America could be similar to what was featured in the movie Idiocracy. I will pass up that opportunity thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 12:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,150 times
I voted no. Humanly speaking, death means separation of body from soul. Therefore, if soul separate in body it might have no chance in returning. Since our body is designed like dust so eventually it will become rotten. So, preserving it is just absurd.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:48 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,042 times
Anyone thinking of getting frozen should check out "Cold Lazaras" Cold Lazarus (TV Mini-Series 1996) - IMDb

Old 12-16-2020, 04:03 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,794,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Plus future America could be similar to what was featured in the movie Idiocracy. I will pass up that opportunity thank you very much.
Or we could raise IQs so that literally everyone will be smarter than Albert Einstein or John von Neumann were.

Old 12-16-2020, 04:04 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,794,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You wanna bet a thousand years of life at hard labor on that?

Every system ever devised tends to flow gradually toward oligarchy. In your future, exactly how are laws and administrative procedures going to be made, and how will you ensure that there will never be a movement against the status quo, and would you want to live in a time when dissent is impossible?

It will never be possible for human iife to exist without two things: An administrative system, and people who are discontent that the administrative system does not serve their needs. Either or both of those leaves the door open for oppression.
Well, there would always be the option of committing suicide if cryogenic preservation and a successful revival won't work out for you, no?

Old 12-17-2020, 03:07 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,431,077 times
My final answer has to be No.

What if they enslave the iced people. Or do random scientific experiments with them? What if aliens kill everybody and enslave the iced ones?

Besides, unless you plan on dying when you're 20, why would you want them to preserve your old, wrinkled body? You're still gonna be old when they wake you.

Old 12-17-2020, 03:08 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,431,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Well, there would always be the option of committing suicide if cryogenic preservation and a successful revival won't work out for you, no?
Suicide is not allowed and therefore impossible to do under the new laws, is what they will tell you.

Old 12-20-2020, 06:37 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Once is enough! I would rather have my money go to the people I know than a company I don't know.

I can picture people being frozen for a very long time and the moment they are unfrozen that cataclysmic asteroid hits the Earth! At least it helped take away their chills!

By the way, you are officially dead when they freeze you, correct? If your were not they would be guilty of murder? If you are officially dead, how long after your death do the turn you into a block of ice? Does it happen immediately?

Old 02-02-2021, 07:53 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,130,500 times
I'd say no but others with a zest for life whom have a terminal illness, should give it a go. What an incredible experience it would be to see the future, since you were going to die anyway, you could always bump yourself later in the future if it sucked too much. The key would be to buy stocks or small collectable items that will appreciate in value, stored in a vault or on your person while you chill in the cryo pod.

This brings a thought, when the freezing/thawing cryo process is finally perfected and they can do it to anybody for 10k or something, with the technology proven to work, would there be lots of people whom might want to give up a lifetime of work and live in the future as a millionare? Even now, you could find investment firms which specialize in diversified stocks from all over the world, it's a pretty safe bet that over 50 or 100 years, a meager investment could easily pay off big, given the nature of compounded interest and diversified investing. There would be firms that specialize in that sort of thing. So in a cryo proven world, this might sound very attractive to someone 20 years old in a tough economy, to just wait it out in the cryo chamber. Forget the star trek stuff, money will be relevant until the second coming, there will always be rich and poor, workers and elites, now and 100 years from now.

Historians and the public would be curious about you, I don't think it would be that hard to make new friends and ham it up about how you did things 80 years ago, you might be in demand for speaking engagements and become famous and popular. Men looking for an "old fashioned girl" might be willing to sweep such a lady off her feet, or women looking for a masculine man of the oil age, show her your stuff, ask her to get you a cold beer out of the fridge and pinch her butt, she will be happy to please because you would be a stud compared to men of the future.

I want the technology to be proven (the unthawing part) before I try it...... but heck yeah, when that happens, sign me up ! They will probably be caps on how many people they would allow to cryo at any one time in history, to prevent labor shortages and cope with storing too many people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology