Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2014, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 1,889 times

Advertisements

When my land line receives cell calls, does the network switch know what city the call originated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 02:15 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
They would not get 'city' as such, no.

They would get the originating carrier, though. If your carrier were a small company that only covered one city, then they would get that. When we moved here, our carrier was a small company that only covered a few small towns, for example.

All cell phones today are digital.

Just like data transmitted over the WWW, all digital data is broken into small packets. Every packet has header-data; which includes origination and destination, along with other stuff. Together these headers are what is now called 'Meta-Data'. In digital cellphones this Meta-Data' will include the GPS coordinates of the originating cellphone.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:44 PM

2 posts, read 1,889 times
Thanks Submariner! I appreciate your info. Can the switch read the meta data? Here is the application. I was thinking about using a toll free number to start a business. For illustration purposes, What if a potential customer calls the toll free number from a cell phone in Los Angeles to my location near Chicago. Could the switch read the meta data and route the call to a Los Angeles partner instead of me?

I would guess that the switch would need some programing for the correct routing. Can this be done through Virtual PBX's or some other type of software? thanks loads for the info, it means a lot.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:45 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendel71 View Post
Thanks Submariner! I appreciate your info. Can the switch read the meta data? Here is the application. I was thinking about using a toll free number to start a business. For illustration purposes, What if a potential customer calls the toll free number from a cell phone in Los Angeles to my location near Chicago. Could the switch read the meta data and route the call to a Los Angeles partner instead of me?
Should be able to do that, no problem.

Your phone company should have a department that focuses on small business applications. They should be able to hook you right up.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:51 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,798,610 times
Quote:

I would guess that the switch would need some programing for the correct routing. Can this be done through Virtual PBX's or some other type of software? thanks loads for the info, it means a lot.
We had aVoIP outsourced solution that would route call based on source AREA CODE.

What if someone had a LA cell phone number, but they are now in Chicago, would you want the call to go to Chicago or LA?

Old 02-17-2014, 09:16 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
What if a potential customer calls the toll free number from a cell phone in Los Angeles to my location near Chicago. Could the switch read the meta data and route the call to a Los Angeles partner instead of me?

I would guess that the switch would need some programing for the correct routing. Can this be done through Virtual PBX's or some other type of software?
PBX in a Flash

You can do what you want with it, but building, securing, setting up and maintaining a PBX requires some amount of technical skill and dedication - don't know what your situation is in that department.

Connecting two Asterisk systems in a "branch office" type of configuration (if that's what you're thinking of doing) can be done, but it's not simple.

You can always go with grasshopper or some other virtual pbx solution. I don't know how flexible those services are, or how granular you can get with the call routing, but it's probably worth looking into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology