Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 05:47 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times

Advertisements

Most of the grocery stores these days have do it yourself checking now. But I've been avoiding them like the plaque because I don't know how to work them. I just see myself going up to one for the first time, acting idiotic, like a clueless caveman. For instance, what's the first thing you do to start the check out? And how in the world do you put in the price for something that didn't come with a bar code like a plastic bag you put in some fresh green peppers or a bunch of bananas?

It would be nice to learn the tricks of the trade on this because it seems many times all the checkouts manned with clerks are busy and backed up while there's always a self checkout available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 06:09 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,983,881 times
They are all self explanatory with instructions about what to do directly on their touch screen (which you touch to enter commands) - and the system will talk to you as well. It tells you when to scan your next item and you scan it via the bar code on it... then you place the item in the bag (it tells you to do this as well) Seriously it is that easy. Don't be afraid, give it a shot. If you are like me you'll find that you can check out much faster using the self-checkouts.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:42 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,645,567 times
i frequently do self-check out but NEVER with bananas!

Old 12-03-2007, 10:14 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Things like a bag of fruit there is typically a key on the touch screen that says produce you set the item on the scanner so it can weigh the bag and you hit the produce key and then you will have menu of various fruits til you find the one you are buying and you click that then it will ask quanity.
As above poster mention it will tell you to move the item off the scanner and bag it.
It will ask if you have any coupons etc.

For your first time buy something simple to just try it out like candy bar and soda.
And do not take my Pookie with you shopping they always screw the system up. I know they are just trying to be helpful but they move an item before the system register it or the monitor picks up there movement and thinks I am trying to by pass the scanner and ask me to rescan a item that has already been scan or it will say wait for cashier assistance.. oooo sorry I am using this thread to vent lol.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:23 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,577,641 times
They are easy, give it a try. I prefer them so I can bag my groceries like I want the bagged..... and the lines are usually shorter. For fruits and veggies they have "look up item" and you can pick from using the PLU number or look through the pictures in alphbetical order.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:43 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,920 times
I make it a point not to use them. I figure that if I'm paying for an item, part of what I'm paying goes toward paying the cashier. That is what they are there for. By using the self checkout, I'm taking away someone's job. Most people in that business don't make a lot to begin with, and can't really afford to lose their job, so I make it a point to use the line with the cashier. If the line's too long, then I don't have enough time, and I go back when I do.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:21 PM

153 posts, read 637,472 times
Actually, those checkers make a pretty good living. Here in L.A., they make anywhere from $15-30/ hr sometimes more, depending on seniority. And they get good benefits.

Oh, and on topic, those self-check things are super easy. I got my mom to finally use one. She freaked out a little because she left her store club card thingy at home, but I told her to enter her phone # on the screen (just like it told her to) and she calmed down. Nothing like feeling technoligically superior to mom.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:38 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
I agree about cashiers' wages! They are not underpaid by any means.

If you use the self-checkout, ensure there is a store employee close at hand since many times the system may get hung up and you'll need assistance.

I like the self-checkout since I can bag the way I want (as OPs have already mentioned) and it's just more convenient for me.

It is NOT taking away anyone's job!

Old 12-04-2007, 05:53 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
Go during a slow time.... get different items, and just try it out. The attendants there are usually very helpful. Also, if the person behind you doesn't look too busy, just ask them. And as others have said, its very user friendly. The only problems I've run into sometimes is if you have a very light item... and sometimes the belts and scanners just don't agree and it keeps backing it up. It'll eventually ask you to find an attendant.

As for cashiers' jobs - I don't think it has made a big difference. The number of registers that are manned by people are less by 4-5 due to conversion to the self-checkouts. But how many registers are actually open at any one time? Only on one occasion have I seen more than 3/4 of the registers open (that was after a snow storm and ALL of them were open with lines to the very back of the store). In essence, I don't see a bit difference in the number of registers being manned (2 or so when not busy, and 4-5 when it is)... but now you have at least 3-4 open no matter what.

And most of the larger chains are run by unions. So I think they're making the same money - but probably doing something else.

Besides, economics will always win out eventually. If a store owner thought the same way and decided to NOT have auto-checkouts... he'll end up losing business. In he long run, he may have to let someone go anyways. Just my .02.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:29 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,645,567 times
once i chose the spanish option just for the fun of it and to make it more challenging since i dont speak spanish. i still made it through with no problems (since i didnt have any bananas)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology