Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 11:58 PM

20 posts, read 54,793 times

Advertisements

* I just updated Safari and now managing my bookmarks is a nightmare. No more easy drag and drop, editing them used to be so easy.

* They changed the format of Google Maps on the internet and it is now harder to use and find things where it used to be so intuitive and simple.

* iOS7 on my iPhone is a DISASTER. I don't even know where to begin. They wanted to get artsy with the design so functionality and usability were severely sacrificed in so many ways.

It is a constant source of aggravation to have software change when there was nothing wrong with the old version and the "improvements" often make things worse.

I guess there are people at these various companies who have to justify their existence somehow so they spend their days improving things that are working fine. They have to fix what isn't broken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 04:53 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times
My opinions about those:

Safari: Don't use it.
Google Maps: A much needed improvement. The old interface felt like it was 1995 and wasted so much screen space.
iOS7: IMO, the usability has significantly improved (although it was already good) on all but really old iphones.

Apple is secretive about their research, but I can only imagine that they listen to what they learn. You can learn quite a bit about Google's research by going to conferences and reading their publishings. Google is quite open about how they design their products and where they are going with them.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:14 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
I like the new Google maps, took a little bit of getting used to but what doesn't.

I do understand your point though, the issue is walking a fine line between adding functionality and keeping it simple to use. They don't necessarily mesh well.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:20 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,158,777 times
For me it is about Windows and Word. Every year they fiddle with these. IMO making them worse. Reason? If they didn't, they wouldn't have anything to sell you.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:35 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,408,439 times
i always keep the less offensive version of software

updated is not always better, most of the time its to fix specific bug(s) that may/may not affect you but the developers seem to like to mess with other stuff

---

youtube 2.0 sucks too

Old 03-09-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I assume (because I believe the new versions suck and are error prone) you are talking about Windows and Word. Every year they fiddle with these. IMO making them worse. Reason? If they didn't, they wouldn't have anything to sell you.
If you actually read the OP, you would see that they were not talking about Windows and Word.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:10 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,158,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If you actually read the OP, you would see that they were not talking about Windows and Word.
Yes, I acknowledged that, my edit misfired.

But anyway, I read the op. He was speaking of software in general and used several examples. I was talking about Windows and Word. Why is it so important to you to make a distinction? Does it really matter?

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 03-09-2014 at 12:39 PM..

Old 03-09-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Why is it so important to you to make a distinction? Does it really matter?
I just find it odd that you assume something about the OP when there is nothing to base that assumption off of. I was wondering what made you think that the OP was talking specifically about Word and Windows? The way I see it, there is nothing.

Old 03-09-2014, 02:38 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,521,263 times
New google maps blows. Dialogue boxes that you can't close, remove the huge dialogue box for the address you searched for, and guess what, the pointer to that address goes away also.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:13 PM

701 posts, read 1,690,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
New google maps blows. Dialogue boxes that you can't close, remove the huge dialogue box for the address you searched for, and guess what, the pointer to that address goes away also.
I used to use Google Maps every day before I left work to check traffic. The new graphics for traffic are much harder to read than the old ones. They're not as prominent within the rest of the interface as they used to be, thus they're much less useful. I'm pretty unhappy with it. Might have to check out "Bing" and see if it's any better now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology