Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 07:02 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,509,742 times

Advertisements

I would like to know: How advanced do you think human civilization could ever get? Is there a limit to our technological advancements or could we discover new and better inventions that could improve our daily lives and make us all live better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 07:21 PM

12,259 posts, read 24,350,175 times
No limit. The kind of advancements we will see till 2045 will be amazing then after. Well no one really knows for sure because all the models break down. However my personal goal is to explore the solar system then the galaxy then the universe then the multi verses etc. There is so much to see and explore it will take me forever to do it and the good news is I expect to live forever.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:59 PM

23,510 posts, read 69,890,838 times
There is a lot of legitimate speculation that as a whole, humanity is getting dumber and less creative. People who have spent time with aboriginal cultures come away astounded as to how much knowledge and information the hunters and shamans keep in their heads. They know which varieties of plants can be used for various purposes, what is poisonous and what is not, game habits, and all sorts of things that are vital to their staying alive.

Compare that to the average citizen in the U.S., who has all sorts of safety built into everyday life and hardly has to think to exist.

In all candor, I suspect that, again as a whole, humanity is heading down the tubes. There are all sorts of civilizations that died out or regressed into barbarism and cultural mysticism. They were often isolated, so their demise was not a world-wide disaster. In our brilliance, we have eliminated the varieties of cultures and turned all into a McDonalds Kentucky Fried mish-mash, connected it all together world-wide so that one major hot pandemic can spread throughout in hours and installed leaders who care more about their own life after politics in the private sector than making good decisions.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:27 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,192,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
There is a lot of legitimate speculation that as a whole, humanity is getting dumber and less creative. People who have spent time with aboriginal cultures come away astounded as to how much knowledge and information the hunters and shamans keep in their heads. They know which varieties of plants can be used for various purposes, what is poisonous and what is not, game habits, and all sorts of things that are vital to their staying alive.

Compare that to the average citizen in the U.S., who has all sorts of safety built into everyday life and hardly has to think to exist.

In all candor, I suspect that, again as a whole, humanity is heading down the tubes. There are all sorts of civilizations that died out or regressed into barbarism and cultural mysticism. They were often isolated, so their demise was not a world-wide disaster. In our brilliance, we have eliminated the varieties of cultures and turned all into a McDonalds Kentucky Fried mish-mash, connected it all together world-wide so that one major hot pandemic can spread throughout in hours and installed leaders who care more about their own life after politics in the private sector than making good decisions.
I never get why people bring this up. Who needs to know this. Memorization is easy anyways.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:44 PM

I think you just made my point.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:18 PM

Today its less about memorization and more on how to apply it. I mean I can look anything up on my I phone in seconds yet the question is do I know how to apply the information. The answer is yes as a whole society is much better today then it was and is getting better all the time.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:12 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
I would like to know: How advanced do you think human civilization could ever get? Is there a limit to our technological advancements or could we discover new and better inventions that could improve our daily lives and make us all live better?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
No limit. The kind of advancements we will see till 2045 will be amazing then after. Well no one really knows for sure because all the models break down. However my personal goal is to explore the solar system then the galaxy then the universe then the multi verses etc. There is so much to see and explore it will take me forever to do it and the good news is I expect to live forever.
The question wasn't how technologically advanced humans may become rather how advance can our civilization become. Those are two very different questions. Personally, short of some cataclysmic event that forces us to totally rethink our relationship to one another, how we use and allocate resources... I'm frankly not all that optimistic.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:38 PM

124 posts, read 152,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
So I hear that after 2045 we are in some sort of hive-minded machine, right? That's the only interpretation I've known so far.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:14 PM

ovcatto touches on something important - technology may seem like an ultimate answer but civilizations fall and are defeated by less technologically advanced ones on a regular basis. History has shown us that time and time again. Technology can actually work against a civilization, especially if the skills that led up to it are neglected and forgotten or it becomes so complex that only a few have any clue as to how it works.

A simple example of that last statement is the current fuss over the heartbleed mess. ONE person made a flawed bit of code. That code became an underpinning for a massive overstructure. In a worst case scenario, had there been a group able and willing to exploit it on a large scale, it could have crashed the economic engine for a while. Technology builds upon previous technology, just like you can make multi-story houses of cards. If each level isn't properly and thoroughly vetted, eventually the flaws will become major problems.

Here is something to chew on: When asked, the major makers of processed foods - like that frozen pizza you cooked and ate tonight - refused to answer where they sourced their meat. In reality, they likely do not know because the contracts will go to bidders based upon price, and then the meat from those sources get mixed. Now consider that meat processors commonly recall huge lots of meat due to contamination. Now consider prion diseases that do not seem to be affected by simple pasteurization. What if... A new prion type of disease crops up in a farm that is a supplier to major food processors? Thousands and thousands of food products could contain random amounts of the contaminant prion diseased meat. People across the country could then get the disease and become carriers. Within a generation or two, the population of an entire country could be decimated or worse.

It isn't just food. A backdoor in computer chips made in China could create an opening in a large percentage of computers connected to the internet. An un-noticed flaw in pet food manufacture could kill thousands of pets - oh wait, that already happened. The vertical integration of humanity is a concept that is doomed to fail. The only variable is WHEN. In previous times, isolated cultures were humanity's "back-up drive," ready to reboot civilization if it crashed.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gousa14 View Post
So I hear that after 2045 we are in some sort of hive-minded machine, right? That's the only interpretation I've known so far.
Lol no. It will not be like the Borg in Star Trek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology