Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2014, 08:21 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,780 times

Advertisements

Maybe this should be in another thread but, as it deals with military technology, I didn't know where else to post it.

Tanks-to-troops modernization
Quote:
Elite Russian troops are displaying a new arsenal of body armor, individual weapons, armor-piercing ammunition and collar radios — a menu of essential gear that gives them a big tactical advantage against a lesser-equipped Ukrainian army.

If President Vladimir Putin orders an invasion, the new-generation body armor, in particular, would provide exceptional protection against small arms if Russian troops go street by street to capture Kiev and other cities.
Read more: Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear - Washington Times

I originally found this at War News Updates blog where the editor said this:

I concur with this analysis. I have been studying the videos of Russian special forces in operation in Crimea .... the professionalism and the new equipment that they have is impressive. It is almost as if they took the best of what they saw in what U.S. and British special forces were (and are) doing, and improved on it.

I have to agree with him/her [I never know which]. These guys are ready for anything and I have a hunch our own special forces would love to have similar equipment. So, why don't they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 02:05 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Russia has been attempting to modernize ever since Putin took over.

Unfortunately their funds to modernize, train, maintenance overhauls and dismantlement tasks are insufficient...

Their nuclear strike submarines would be the first targets for Americans, after they were removed Russia would only have their TU-160 and TU-95 bombers left.

Russia for all it's posturing is only a threat to the EU, not America.

Russia Submarine Capabilities | Articles | NTI Analysis | NTI

http://defensetech.org/2010/12/10/ru...-naval-revamp/

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/08/bu...-war.html?_r=0

What they can do with their new technology is sell it to foreign countries....

Old 04-21-2014, 05:13 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Are Russia's announcements of new weaponry creditable?

Russia's New T-50 Stealth Fighter on Show | Military.com

Old 04-21-2014, 05:45 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
These guys are ready for anything and I have a hunch our own special forces would love to have similar equipment. So, why don't they?
Even with all the tech the primary asset of the US military is experience, you can't easily replace that with technology. It's a well oiled machine whether it's someone on the front line or some guy pushing papers at the Pentagon.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:33 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Even with all the tech the primary asset of the US military is experience, you can't easily replace that with technology. It's a well oiled machine whether it's someone on the front line or some guy pushing papers at the Pentagon.
True, we've subjected our military to a decade of war. Beat that, Putin!

Old 04-24-2014, 10:37 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
True, we've subjected our military to a decade of war. Beat that, Putin!
And with the massive draw down our Bumbler-in-Chief wants, there will be tens of thousands of combat vets lining up for private "security" firms - read mercenaries.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:58 AM
Zot

468 posts, read 681,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
If these guys are so good, why were Olympic athletes bathing in sewage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology