Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 11:59 AM

746 posts, read 866,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Why would anyone trust a human to drive a automoblie at 70 miles.
Lol good one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 12:11 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,211,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MynameisnotPeter View Post
Lol good one!
Uh, better a HUMAN do this, than a mindless, reflex-less, piece of silicon-equipped POS! So DID you get help for your anti-driving issues "my name is not peter"??

Old 04-28-2014, 12:18 PM

746 posts, read 866,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Uh, better a HUMAN do this, than a mindless, reflex-less, piece of silicon-equipped POS! So DID you get help for your anti-driving issues "my name is not peter"??
Computers can respond faster than humans!

Last edited by MynameisnotPeter; 04-28-2014 at 12:34 PM..

Old 04-28-2014, 12:19 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
reflex-less, piece of silicon-equipped POS!
That's not an argument, the speed at which the human mind operates and the physical limitations could never compete against a computer and the speed of electricity. They have been using fly by wire in planes since about the sixties, it's the same thing. Planes like the B2 or something like the f-117 would be very dangerous or even unflyable without it. The latest tech in the F-22 will correct for anything the pilot gets themselves into by taking their hands off the stick, it's only the speed at which the computer can operate that makes that possible Those systems are constantly making corrections based on the pilots input. There is even similar tech in cars now, ABS systems hit the brakes 10 to 100 times per second.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:25 PM

[quote=MynameisnotPeter;34564662]Computers canted pond faster than humans! "Canted pond"?? I think you're avoiding my question, as well as pushing your woe is me I can't drive thing you have going on? Cars today, don't run very well as it is, with all the crap they have installed in them much less trying to drive themselves with human lives involved! IF you can't handle driving a vehicle then that's YOUR thing, not anyone elses.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That's not an argument, the speed at which the human mind operates and the physical limitations could never compete against a computer and the speed of electricity. They have been using fly by wire in planes since about the sixties, it's the same thing. Planes like the B2 or something like the f-117 would be very dangerous or even unflyable without it. The latest tech in the F-22 will correct for anything the pilot gets themselves into by taking their hands off the stick, it's only the speed at which the computer can operate that makes that possible Those systems are constantly making corrections based on the pilots input. There is even similar tech in cars now, ABS systems hit the brakes 10 to 100 times per second.
While these statements might be true, WHO gets to accept the consequences when someone dies in a self driven vehicle?? I can hear the programmers now, Oops my bad, must have been a failed microprocessor .... I rest WELL knowing I will NEVER drive one of those toyboxes.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:52 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
While these statements might be true, WHO gets to accept the consequences when someone dies in a self driven vehicle?? I can hear the programmers now, Oops my bad, must have been a failed microprocessor .... I rest WELL knowing I will NEVER drive one of those toyboxes.
I'm sure accidents would still happen especially at first but I would suggest that overall accidents would decrease significantly. It's a trade off, you reduce many human induced accidents for perhaps a few computer caused ones as the bugs get worked out.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm sure accidents would still happen especially at first but I would suggest that overall accidents would decrease significantly. It's a trade off, you reduce many human induced accidents for perhaps a few computer caused ones as the bugs get worked out.
Doubtful. I'm a techie, to a point. but I draw the line on vehicles and will always stick with my old dinosaur (no computers) classic pick up truck since it's been robust enough to service brand spanking new cars which failed to start or gotten stuck in past winters.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:30 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times
Ready or not its here. Its just a matter of time before we see them on the road. Best estimates are by 2020.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:15 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,937,891 times
It's going to be more suitable for highways than city traffic. Similar to how you wouldn't use autopilot to land a plane, even though it's *technically* doable.

I can imagine a park-and-ride service on urban highways that operates like a HOV carpool lot and a personal rapid transit (PRT) system on dedicated express/HOV lanes. It would have to be flexible enough that you can "call up" a car if none are parked there at the moment. Within the city you're going to want a mass transit system to connect to this, that too should be computerized and automated (e.g., Vancouver Skytrain). Or have it only go to high demand centralized locations that would likely need dedicated ramp connections (e.g., airports, employment centers, downtown garages).

However, I don't believe all driving will be automated any more than I believe we'll all have flying cars. By the way, IF automated cars ever became the standard, we will have squeezed the middle class out of car ownership...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology