Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 10:08 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
The best example I can think of is a college degree today. Sure you can get by without one but in the competitive job market its much easier to find a job and the unemployment rate is lower for people who have them. Especially graduate degrees. So I think that after 2030 merging with computers will be the equivalent of a college degree today.
So you're thinking the "singularity" will occur only in the United States? How will AI and the singularity affect, say, Bangladesh during the monsoon season?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 01:17 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There are plenty of people in the world today who are surviving without any real exposure to even the 20th century. and have no access to electricity, motorized transport, or treated water. Are you saying that within 16 years, the entire planet will be subject to a single authoritarian system, from which nobody will have escaped? And the standard of living in Yemen and Burkina Faso will be exactly the same as in Switzerland and Singapore? Will AI robots wander every corner of the earth, capturing people and implanting chips into them by force?

Unless by "we", you mean people like yourself, who have the economic resources to opt into such a profitable system of elite self-interest, and coerce all your suburban neighbors to join in, and then continue on your present pace of excluding all the rest of the world from the largesse and leaving them to just die so you and your kind can have all the wealth, because the normal paradigm of slavery or bonded servitude will be obsolete. If you do, you will have the rest of us to deal with, and I hope you have a strong stomach for that. Because you have the choice to be on one side or the other.
The AI doesnt really have to do much to destroy our way of life if it just starts doing what it wants to do rather than what we want it to do, It also wont be an individual entity it would be a conglomerate/mother brain of every piece of technology we use,it would be in control of what any piece of computer based technology does, we will have no input..We are so reliant on technology to prop up our society that we will descend into caveman status very quickly without technology doing our bidding.
Another disturbing trend is the ease people have to let computers do everything for them, their total addiction to technology particularly in the areas of communication,entertainment and more and more in the field of jobs, its only a matter of time before a computer to human brain interface is perfected and with a small implant everything we now do on the computer can be done in your head with a mere thought,at some point the mere act of getting out of bed in the morning will become irrelevant as the computer/technology will take care of everything for you...
All Science Fiction at this point but fun to speculate on potential future scenarios.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:32 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
That didn't exactly answer the question. Okay, so then it's just about jobs?
Yes I was referring to jobs.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Who is "we". and against whom are "we" competitive? Who are the losers, and what is their place in your future? Are the losers the ones who do not enjoy the privilege of having a central universal AI implanted into their minds and souls? I don't think you have though this through very well.
When I said "we" I was referring to humans in general.

Its not going to be a "privilege" anymore then owning a smart phone is a "privilege" today. Sure cell phones were expensive but like all technology they go down in price and faster today then ever before. For example last year if someone bought a 55 inch OLED curved 3D tv by Samsung it was about $10,000. This week I bought one for about $2,000. The price dropped 8 grand in a year. This will happen even faster by 2030 so it will be possible for everyone to merge with the technology if they choose too. Now I understand that not everyone will want to merge with the technology but honestly I think it will be increasingly hard for people who choose not too.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:44 AM

Quote:
So you're thinking the "singularity" will occur only in the United States? How will AI and the singularity affect, say, Bangladesh during the monsoon season?
It will occur world wide and weather will not impact it at all from snow to rain to heat.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:58 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,256,648 times
They always told me that a computer is no smarter than the person who put the information in. Al is a computer. I want to be the person who put the information in.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:48 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
They always told me that a computer is no smarter than the person who put the information in. Al is a computer. I want to be the person who put the information in.
AI is going to be thinking for itself no further human input will be needed, it may start off with some defined directives but when it thinks its course of action is superior to its original programming is where it starts getting interesting..

Old 05-07-2014, 07:36 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
When I said "we" I was referring to humans in general.

Its not going to be a "privilege" anymore then owning a smart phone is a "privilege" today. Sure cell phones were expensive but like all technology they go down in price and faster today then ever before. For example last year if someone bought a 55 inch OLED curved 3D tv by Samsung it was about $10,000. This week I bought one for about $2,000. The price dropped 8 grand in a year. This will happen even faster by 2030 so it will be possible for everyone to merge with the technology if they choose too. Now I understand that not everyone will want to merge with the technology but honestly I think it will be increasingly hard for people who choose not too.
55-inch Samsungs are easy to efficiently mass-produced -- they do not exhaust raw materials to any significant degree, although you might wish to explore where the cheap gold and platinum are going to come from for the circuitry in several billion of them. Your singularity might seem a little more elusive when faced with the task of producing "cheap" wholesome food and safe shelter for eight billion people and transporting those finished resources to them.

There are so many gaping holes in your theory. Your own example destroys you argument and shows convincingly why it is impossible. The reason there is economy of scale reducing the cost of your Samsung, is because there is a willing and capable marketplace lining up to pay for them. If no corporate profit was to be realized by making two billion of them and selling them, why would Samsung shareholders tolerate their manufacture? What is the incentive to drive your singularity to completion, if not profits on the part of the few who invest their wealth in it?

There is absolutely no evidence at all that in a mere 16 years, there will be a sudden reversal in the profit motive that has driven every inch of our industrial and technological development of several centuries. And without that shift, you have nothing but same-old-same-old, corporate shareholders investing in only that which will yield a handsome profit for the few who own the capital. How do you see all that wealth magically being arrayed in uniform distribution within the reach of everyone, without either a profit motive or an autocracy to drive it? Not 55-inch Samsungs, but food and shelter and transport and education.

What exactly is the motive for the already-rich to create a singularity in which everyone else will be rich, instead of themselves? And if a promise of wealth and power does not drive capital to this end, what will? Most importantly, if all this is to come about 16 years, what is your own personal goal, since there will be no "have-nots", and therefore no "have" status to compete for. How will competition work 16 years from now? What do you have to do to be a winner, if everybody is a winner? A medal for every child doesn't work anymore when they are grownups.

By they way, sorry you got sucked in on that overpriced $2K Samsung. By this time next year, they will be about $400. The coming singularity marches on.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-07-2014 at 07:54 AM..

Old 05-07-2014, 10:05 AM

^

I can give you many examples where information technology is dropping in price as its the rule not the exception. That will not only continue but accelerate in the next decade.

I know my TV will not only drop on price but be obsolete in a short time. That will accelerate as well with new technologies coming out in the next 10 years.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:20 AM

850 posts, read 1,026,680 times
IMHO humanity is not evolving upward - the gene pool is weakening. Computing advances (evolution + revolution) so very fast.
I could see AI entities programmed to "optimize" deciding that the vast majority of humans do not contribute more than they produce and dot dot dot.

I could see :-) consumer grade digital cameras surpassing human vision in the next 20 years.
I could see most human software programmers and non-fiction writers being replaced by AI in the next 20 years.
(most business degree types before that :-) not sure when the artsy types get purged)
I wonder what/if/when AI can be "creative" - when that happens we will have been superseded.

And as Tina Turner sang "What's love got to do with it..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology