Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 12:01 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times

Advertisements

Science. That's why. Everything in science is being debated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 07:30 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I think you see that on both extremes. I mean they say we need to be significantly off fossil fuels by 2030 and when I point out that we will and show them the proof they do not want to look it it.
Yeah, right, you've got "proof" that we will be off fossil fuels by 2030. And you talk about other people being at extremes.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:19 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,459,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
What I see is graph that had some great gains for few years but then almost flatlines for a few decades and then has a precipitous drop in 2009 when China starts dumping product on the market.

This graph only accounts for the cost of the panels themselves, since they can rely on fossil fuel as base power when the sun isn't shining we don't have to account for what would be huge expenses for storage. Suppose you had storage, how much are you are going to build? 1 days worth? A week? The more you build the more $$$ and you need to be able to meet demand if the sun doesn't shine for weeks. Even natural gas may face this issue because the infrastructure is not in place to meet this growing demand. You can pile coal to the moon next to a coal plant but there is only X amount of gas available to the market at any given moment. It's just like your house, you can have a small pipe if you are just running the stove but if you are running your heat and hot water a little pipe is not going to cut it. It's the same issue natioanally.
Actually by 2035 thanks to solar we will have near free energy. And if your worried about how will we sore the energy don't be. Batteries are getting better to and a good example of this is how Telsa is going to build a multi billion dollar batter plant.

I understand right now solar only is about 1%-2% of our energy needs so people dismiss it. That will change once the 2020's gets here. All the models show that and why i am no longer worried about climate change as we will be off fossil fuels.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yeah, right, you've got "proof" that we will be off fossil fuels by 2030.
Yes I am proof. All the models show that. So on one hand you can't say all the models show climate change is real then dismiss all the models that show we will be significantly off fossil fuels and on solar by 2030. You either believe in science or you don't not just science that you want to believe in.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:26 PM

I happen to run across this book which talks about all the things I have tried to say about why I am not worried about climate change so I decided to post it here . If I get a chance I will buy it and read it.

The industrial age of energy and transportation will be over by 2030. Maybe before. Exponentially improving technologies such as solar, electric vehicles, and autonomous (self-driving) cars will disrupt and sweep away the energy and transportation industries as we know it. The Stone Age did not end because we ran out of rocks. It ended because a disruptive technology ushered in the Bronze Age. The era of centralized, command-and-control, extraction-resource-based energy sources (oil, gas, coal and nuclear) will not end because we run out of petroleum, natural gas, coal, or uranium. It will end because these energy sources, the business models they employ, and the products that sustain them will be disrupted by superior technologies, product architectures, and business models. The same Silicon Valley ecosystem that created bit-based technologies that have disrupted atom-based industries is now creating bit- and electron-based technologies that will disrupt atom-based energy industries. This is a technology-based disruption reminiscent of how the cell phone, Internet, and personal computer swept away industries such as landline telephony, publishing, and mainframe computers. Just like those technology disruptions flipped the architecture of information and brought abundant, cheap and participatory information, the clean disruption will flip the architecture of energy and bring abundant, cheap and participatory energy. Just like those previous technology disruptions, the clean disruption is inevitable and will be swift. The industrial age of energy and transportation is already giving way to an information technology and knowledge-based energy and transportation era.

The link: Clean Disruption of Energy and Transportation: How Silicon Valley Will Make Oil, Nuclear, Natural Gas, Coal, Electric Utilities and Conventional Cars Obsolete by 2030: Tony Seba: 9780692210536: Amazon.com: Books

Old 06-20-2014, 04:26 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Because it just theory much like the ice age one in the 70's. Even then it not a lot they can do about it in reality if true. Follow the money has always.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology