U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 05:36 AM

6,725 posts, read 4,120,040 times

Advertisements

I definitely think Elon is very smart, no doubt and also a showman, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I can see how that might rub some people the wrong way. I liken Elon to Steve Jobs, in that Steve was the "idea guy" and not in the trenches, so to speak, designing every intricacy in every circuit board and writing millions and millions and millions line of code.

Jobs was smart enough to know to hire not only other smart, brilliant people that were experts in their field, but also ones who shared his vision, which is key. I see that in both Tesla and SpaceX.

As for the whole PayPal thing and Musk, if you delve into the history and what went down, it was Max Levchin, Peter Thiel, and Luke Nosek who started a company called Confinity, a company that developed security software for handheld devices, and after no success in that business model they moved toward the digital wallet and launched what would be the first PayPal system in 1999. Musk, who started the online bank X.com back in 1999, merged with Confinity in March of 2000 to become what is now PayPal.

I'm not saying Musk "lucked out", but it was Levchin, Thiel and Nosek who designed the software and had the digital wallet idea before Musk joined the group. Was Musk in the right place at the right time with X.com when Confinity came along, maybe, it definitely made him extremely wealthy, no arguing that!

Last edited by cjseliga; Today at 05:49 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 02:18 PM

9,835 posts, read 7,231,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I definitely think Elon is very smart, no doubt and also a showman, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I can see how that might rub some people the wrong way. I liken Elon to Steve Jobs, in that Steve was the "idea guy" and not in the trenches, so to speak, designing every intricacy in every circuit board and writing millions and millions and millions line of code.

Jobs was smart enough to know to hire not only other smart, brilliant people that were experts in their field, but also ones who shared his vision, which is key. I see that in both Tesla and SpaceX.

As for the whole PayPal thing and Musk, if you delve into the history and what went down, it was Max Levchin, Peter Thiel, and Luke Nosek who started a company called Confinity, a company that developed security software for handheld devices, and after no success in that business model they moved toward the digital wallet and launched what would be the first PayPal system in 1999. Musk, who started the online bank X.com back in 1999, merged with Confinity in March of 2000 to become what is now PayPal.

I'm not saying Musk "lucked out", but it was Levchin, Thiel and Nosek who designed the software and had the digital wallet idea before Musk joined the group. Was Musk in the right place at the right time with X.com when Confinity came along, maybe, it definitely made him extremely wealthy, no arguing that!
True, but Elon is very much in the trenches. He has designed many of the parts of the SpaceX equipment and has complete knowledge of every component down to each bolt

Old Today, 02:53 PM

35,699 posts, read 18,413,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
True, but Elon is very much in the trenches. He has designed many of the parts of the SpaceX equipment and has complete knowledge of every component down to each bolt
That's not exactly what I've been told, but he is highly detail-oriented and he made some decisions early on, then stuck with them longer than most would have. The Falcon and Falcon Heavy separation systems, for instance. Most everyone else uses explosive bolts - which means it's off-the-shelf, well tested, and as such already engineered to very high standards of reliability & safety. But they add safety protocols,, shock loads, and they can't be tested nondestructively. So SpaceX decided early on - on Musk's insistence - to use pneumatic systems that can be tested and retested anywhere and are comparatively gentle. A higher up-front development cost offset by operational savings, and clearly the right decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology