Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 12:12 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,021,495 times

Advertisements

Anyone have and of the fitness bracelets that are out there -- FitBit, Flex, or others.

Do they work? How have you found them to use? easy? not worth it?

So you HAVE to have it sync'd with an app o your smart phone or computer to use it?

I'm looking for something to track all my fitness info -- but I'm NOT tech savvy.

Thanks....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 12:51 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
I think it whispers "Inhale . . . exhale . . ." for people who are too trendy to remember. Or it smells chocolate and says "uh-uh-uh --don't eat that Payday bar."

Old 06-10-2014, 01:04 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,869,626 times
I have a fitbit one, it saves your data till you sync it with your phone or computer (wireless or with USB). I don't use it much, mostly cause I don't really care about the data it saves. We bought it when we went to NY to see how much we walked and how many stairs we took etc. It was pretty great for that. Normal day to day life....I don't have a use for that data.

You set it up initially, then just put it on somewhere and that's it. If you have your phone with you, it'll automatically sync while it's in proximity. It updates your fitbit page for you too.

Pretty much a no-brainer device. The sleep pattern thing is kind of cool but I don't really use it.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:07 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,021,495 times
I was looking at the "Basic" -- it's watch style and has a big display.
Anyone have this.

I want a tracker I can just read the info on -- and NOT have to sync to another device to read the data.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:22 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,869,626 times
Basis — health and heart rate monitor for wellness and fitness

If that's the one you're talking about, yeah it'll show you that kind of stuff but you lose a lot of functionality by not syncing it. You have to charge it anyway, it's a one-click thing to sync it up...

Old 12-28-2014, 05:05 PM

44,353 posts, read 20,056,503 times
I'm considering purchasing a FitBit, but am overwhelmed by all of the choices and information I've found online. Like the OP, I'm not very tech savvy. I want something that's simple to use that will track my steps. Something a little better than just a pedometer. I don't care about all the FitBit features I've seen advertised, such as sleep tracking, and Caller ID. (What the heck do phone calls have to do with FitBit? I don't get that at all.)

I don't have a smart phone, so would use the device with my PC. I've been doing some online research but so far haven't found any simple explanations of how to work a fitness tracking device. It looks as though you're supposed to wear it 24/7/365. What happens if you remove it for a day?

I'm presently using a pedometer and shoot for at least 10K steps 6 days a week. Is a fancy device really worth the cost?

I'm corn-fused and would appreciate input from anyone out there who has one.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:27 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,426,854 times
When my coworkers started wearing them to work I looked into it. One coworker was running marathon and was using it for training, others had em out of fad. One person was using them to track his sleeping patterns.

There is a pedometer build in to my smart phone, I use it to check that walk 10k steps a day on the days I don't get to a gym.

My attitude is that I don't have much use for them.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:29 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
all of these devices are pointless unless there continuously monitoring your heart rate.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:12 PM

44,353 posts, read 20,056,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
When my coworkers started wearing them to work I looked into it. One coworker was running marathon and was using it for training, others had em out of fad. One person was using them to track his sleeping patterns.

There is a pedometer build in to my smart phone, I use it to check that walk 10k steps a day on the days I don't get to a gym.

My attitude is that I don't have much use for them.
That's pretty much how I feel about them. The more I learn, the more I think they are way too sophisticated for my needs. I just want to keep an accurate record of my steps. Perhaps I should stick with my pedometer. Only problems I have with that are: (1) occasionally, I accidentally press the reset button and lose all my steps to that point; and (2) if it's not hanging perfectly horizontal on my waistband, it fails to accurately click off my steps. But I don't think it's worth $100 or more to get a fancy-schmancy device.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:33 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Mrs. Bo has one. She uses it to count/track her steps and hours of sleep. She seems to like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology