Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 12:19 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,515,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
You forgot the replicator.

That might actually come true in the next 10 to 20 years time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 12:52 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,652,406 times
They are called airplanes

Old 06-27-2014, 07:27 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,199,215 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A4ut_4fG6A

Old 06-28-2014, 01:51 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,413,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
That might actually come true in the next 10 to 20 years time.
More then likely they will as 3D printers keep advancing exponentially.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:42 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,038,481 times
Fortunately, it appears we'll get self-driving cars before we get the flying kind.

Many drivers have trouble operating a vehicle in 2 dimensions. When you add a third dimension, I expect the percentage of bad drivers would go up astronomically. It'll be best to have computers drive the flying cars.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:19 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,161,239 times
Quote:
So I would like to know, its 2014 why is it that we are still not driving flying cars, wearing jetpacks, eating food pills, living on the moon, and underwater, where is my wrist watch TV, my nuclear powered vacuum cleaner, my virtual reality headset, my holodeck and holograms? I thought we were supposed to be in the future by now. Oh well, I guess I will have to make do with computers, iPhones and video games.

Much of your list = too expensive, impractical and not commercially needed at this point, although the tv/computer watch has been available for a while/
Popular Digital Tv Wristwatch-Buy Popular Digital Tv Wristwatch lots from China Digital Tv Wristwatch suppliers on Aliexpress.com

Old 07-06-2014, 09:24 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,042,971 times
Quote:
So I would like to know, its 2014 why is it that we are still not driving flying cars, wearing jetpacks, eating food pills, living on the moon, and underwater, where is my wrist watch TV, my nuclear powered vacuum cleaner, my virtual reality headset, my holodeck and holograms? I thought we were supposed to be in the future by now. Oh well, I guess I will have to make do with computers, iPhones and video games.
We have jetpacks but they don't stay in the air too long for any one to want it.

We tried flying cars using ducted-fan and tiltrotor vehicles but they suffered from problems and lose stability and have difficulty travelling and crashe a lot.

They even tried to make a flying UFO and the same thing stability problem and difficulty travelling and crashes.

So none of this makes it past the R&D.

Going in space is too costly so you will never see a moon base ,mars base or space mining to the cost of getting in space goes down.

We have smart watch coming out this year.Why would you want a nuclear powered vacuum cleaner? People don't like any thing nuclear.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:13 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,042,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post

It looks very erratic and engine struggling a lot. Some fins and better engine may give better results of true hover craft car.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:51 PM

18,533 posts, read 15,514,456 times
Quote:
Who ever talked about "food pills"? You'd need a heck of a lot of pills to meet your nutritive needs and it'd take as long to swallow all of them as just to eat a regular meal, so why bother?

Old 07-21-2014, 02:04 AM

34,274 posts, read 19,316,264 times
Quote:
Cars people have replied to already. as for the rest...

Jetpacks DO exist, they are cost prohibitive at the moment.

Food pills? hmmm...Im not sure those will ever be possible.

Living on the moon, we've failed at due to a failure of vision in our leadership. When Next Gingrich mentioned it during the primaries in 2012 he was widely mocked. It was probably one of the few things he said that made me consider voting for him. I suspect China will beat us to it.

Wrist watch TV, we've had them actually. Turns out people like bigger screens, thus I watch netflix on my iphone.

Virtual reality headset? I have one, go buy one. Occulus rift makes them, and they arent that expensive.

holodecks, working on it

Holograms, some have been made. Varying degrees of success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology