Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2014, 12:31 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

"I would venture to say that most of my colleagues here today say it is improbable that in the limitless vastness of the universe we humans stand alone," said Charles Bolden.

Read more: NASA says it's close to finding alien life, Earth's twin - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 02:29 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Oh great, another planet full of us.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:48 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,790,366 times
How would they know they were close? Did they find footprints? Still warm campfires? A couple of old rusted out trucks up on blocks?

Hey, in a universe as large as the one we know, of course I believe there is life out there. Lots of it all over the place.

But to say we are "close" to finding it is nonsense.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:23 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,710,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
How would they know they were close? Did they find footprints? Still warm campfires? A couple of old rusted out trucks up on blocks?

Hey, in a universe as large as the one we know, of course I believe there is life out there. Lots of it all over the place.

But to say we are "close" to finding it is nonsense.
They probably found it decades ago, they're just conditioning the population for the news. Despite claims to the contrary, this discover will have a profound impact on humanity. There is still a large population in the world that is stuck in the 12th century. How do you think they'll hand this news?

Old 07-16-2014, 06:24 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
It's all a matter of faith. Believing something to be so without any verifiable evidence.

I think that life may exist on other planets. Seems reasonable. However, if we don't find life on other planets that fact would be profound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
. How do you think they'll hand this news?
I think we would hand it just fine.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:28 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,093,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Oh great, another planet full of us.
Ugh, Can you even imagine? A whole other species, exactly like us. You land a space craft on an alien world, open the door, and first thing you see is a little green guy with a book asking if you've found Jesus.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:44 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,982,960 times
Quote:
... and first thing you see is a little green guy with a book asking if you've found Jesus.
You've experienced it then!

I have this view that life is not just possible or probable but it's inevitable. It is out there all over the place. But to say that they are about to find it? That just doesn't make sense. Are they saying they are confident they are about to find it? I'm confident they will eventually find it too. I'm confident life is out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology