Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 11:56 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,511,320 times

Advertisements

I love Star Trek and I love the idea of holograms or holodecks or virtual reality technology. I would like to know when will we ever have the possibilities of doing this sort of stuff in real life? Is this even possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 12:26 AM

12,259 posts, read 24,371,377 times
A true holodeck like in Star Trek would be hard and we are not where near that kind of technology. However we are closing in on virtual reality and should have that in about 10 years. We are getting basic VR today.

This is what Ray Kurzweil says about it:

3-D Virtual Reality projected in retina
VR haptics

The link: h+ Magazine | Your life is going to change faster than ever before - h+ Magazine

Old 08-15-2014, 01:57 PM

23,534 posts, read 69,968,609 times
Cave has been around for years, as have LINK trainers for pilots. If you want to play like a ghost, where there is no tactile feedback, then holodeck style VR already exists on a small scale.

Old 08-15-2014, 03:33 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,514,684 times
I'm never going to find it again, but I read on the net recently that one of the phone manufacturers is supposedly (grain of salt here) going to add a chip that will give 3D projections on their phones.

I'll wait....

Old 08-15-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I'm never going to find it again, but I read on the net recently that one of the phone manufacturers is supposedly (grain of salt here) going to add a chip that will give 3D projections on their phones.

I'll wait....
I found a article that talks about it:

New technology may make smartphones project 3D hologram by Christmas 2015

The link: New technology may make smartphones project 3D hologram by Christmas 2015 : PERSONAL TECH : Tech Times

Old 08-15-2014, 06:10 PM

5,463 posts, read 9,598,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I found a article that talks about it:

New technology may make smartphones project 3D hologram by Christmas 2015

The link: New technology may make smartphones project 3D hologram by Christmas 2015 : PERSONAL TECH : Tech Times
Apparently China has already released one, or at least that's what they're calling it. It looks like it might be sort of 3D-ish, but I'm not sure holographic is quite the word that comes to mind. A shell with 4 cameras can be attached to the phone to track the user's finger movements to allow controls in the air. No more fingerprint smudges on the screen. It's still on a flat screen though unlike that of Star Wars fame.
"Help me Obi-wan Kenobi. You're my only hope!"

Holographic smart phone released in Beijing - CCTV News - CCTV.com English

Old 08-15-2014, 06:18 PM

I would love to have one but I do not think the I Phone 6 will. Maybe the 7.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:41 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,514,684 times
5000ppi Hologram Projection Phones To Arrive Next Year | TechBeat

Quote:
The hologram is created using six projectors, which layer light to create an image floating in the air, much like a real and solid object. The discovery came from fusing an image processor with a thin layer of micro LEDs to create the Quantum Photonic Imager. The result is quite remarkable; a projector that is approximately the size of a TicTac candy. The projector is powered by the chip that controls the colour, brightness and angle of each individual beam of light.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:08 PM

18,487 posts, read 15,447,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
I love Star Trek and I love the idea of holograms or holodecks or virtual reality technology. I would like to know when will we ever have the possibilities of doing this sort of stuff in real life? Is this even possible?
Strictly speaking, an LED array is not a true hologram, and it isn't "projected" as many other posters have said. "Projection" means light from a central source is radiated in a pattern to make a display on a wall, screen, or other object which does not emit its own light.

LED's, by definition, *do* emit their own light.

A true hologram is a light baffle that creates the impression of a 3 dimensional object by utilizing diffraction to re-create light waves as they would be coming from the real object.

A truly holographic animation would likely require an array of electro-optic samples, each a few microns on a side at most, that could be independently controlled by external electronics.

Furthermore, quality holograms require laser illumination. Thus a fully holographic animation, in order to avoid colored-smearing or aliasing effects, would need three separate arrays and some system of optics set up to direct each light to its screen: Red, Green, and Blue.

The electro-optic array is the tough part, everything else is standard optics. I figure a modified circuit board could do the trick potentially, although to my knowledge no one has actually bothered to build any.

A 3-d animation in mid-air can be done, however, it is monochromatic just like old-school movies:

3D Animations in Mid-Air Using Plasma Balls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology