Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worried, scared, know more, like to?
Worried and scared 2 25.00%
I dont care 4 50.00%
I know more and write it 1 12.50%
I like to know more 1 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 10:30 AM

23,534 posts, read 69,968,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Najt View Post
Okidoki I'll check it again cause of our dream-house there, but avoid timewasters in Climatechange also, such as if anyone uneducated living on fossil fuels, dispute well known scientists.
<shrug> I don't particularly see a point in sites like climatechange, to me they whole issue is similar to the problems of farting by elephants as discussed by ants. It doesn't much matter how intently the ants discuss the matter it is either going to happen or not.

My intent in disputing media "science" is simply one of leveling the playing field. When liars get away with lies, truthful people get hurt and their offspring grow up being forced into idiocy by contradictory enforced beliefs. There are tons of lies and agendas that get passed off as science. In the old days we relied on science teachers to sort it out for kids. That no longer happens.

I did not intend to encourage your construction along a coastline by my statements. I find the building upon the ocean/land interface to be highly offensive and destructive, as well as often just plain stupid - like the homes on barrier islands that get regularly destroyed.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:31 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,352,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Najt View Post
They warn of new ones in Med and a warning system are planned, cause they do get small ones from African quakes where 2 tectonic plates meet.
A new large one outside Lisboa/Cadiz is predicted as may drown several.

And a major quake in Istanbul.
I am not sure how useful DART buoys would be in the Mediterranean. Tsunamis move so fast they would only have a couple hours warning at best. The distance between Gilbratar and Cyprus is ~2,163 miles, which means that a tsunami can cross that distance in about four hours.

With the African continent still moving north into Europe, the Mediterranean is really just a smaller version of the Pacific Rim of Fire. The Mediterranean is littered with active volcanoes and earthquake faults, which makes tsunamis a very real possibility.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:24 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,514,684 times
To answer the OPs question, March 15th of one of the next 4 years. 2015, 16, 17, or 18.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:08 PM

15,913 posts, read 20,125,686 times
My vote? Don't care...

I'm more inclined to think the super volcano under Yellowstone National Park will erupt before La Palma Cumbre Vieja slides into the Atlantic ocean...

Old 10-19-2014, 03:18 AM

10,904 posts, read 5,876,598 times
A Yellowstone super volcano eruption would be devastating for the US. In my parts we have super volcano too - Taupo. Not quite as big as Yellowstone but it makes up a bigger proportion of our land mass.

Our major city (Auckland) and several others are low lying on the eastern seaboard where we would be hit by tsunamis generated in the Pacific. We get the tsunamis from the northern hemisphere but those require super accurate instrumentation to detect. A big one from Peru could hurt us though.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:07 AM

245 posts, read 317,463 times
Yes Yellowstone may hurt us all and CV can kill some millions, but I dont compare Ebola and Malaria that much, since there is a lot to read about CV to begin with and make conclusions. Comprende?

Old 10-19-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
A Yellowstone super volcano eruption would be devastating for the US. In my parts we have super volcano too - Taupo. Not quite as big as Yellowstone but it makes up a bigger proportion of our land mass.

Our major city (Auckland) and several others are low lying on the eastern seaboard where we would be hit by tsunamis generated in the Pacific. We get the tsunamis from the northern hemisphere but those require super accurate instrumentation to detect. A big one from Peru could hurt us though.
But u got a good time to move on?

Isnt major Bush-fires a worry there as in Oz, u have other worries?

Old 10-19-2014, 07:57 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,352,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post

The scenery in New Zealand is almost as gorgeous as Alaska (), but it is not in a great location. It is literally surrounded by areas where the largest quakes occur. The world's largest earthquakes have been in Chile, Ecuador, Alaska, Japan, Indonesia, and Sumatra, which puts New Zealand in the middle.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:07 AM

And Australia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology