Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 11:16 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,064,550 times

Advertisements

One million times the energy density as gasoline.

Cold fusion reactor verified by third-party researchers, seems to have 1 million times the energy density of gasoline | ExtremeTech
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 11:58 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times
Wonderful! I can hardly wait!

However, even if I am NOT from Missouri, I STILL expect you to show me!

Old 10-11-2014, 12:22 PM

4,709 posts, read 5,064,550 times
I will not show you Missouri. Some good piccies on the net though.

Old 10-11-2014, 12:24 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
I will not show you Missouri. Some good piccies on the net though.
Ha ha

Old 10-12-2014, 07:38 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
I'll wait a day or two before I organize the parade, but damn. If this one really does pan out, that noise you just heard was the sound of the world changing!

Quote:
“Several labs have blown up studying LENR and windows have melted,” says NASA scientist Dennis Bushnell, proving that “when the conditions are ‘right’ prodigious amounts of energy can be produced and released.”
Of course, there are still a couple of bugs to be worked out, evidently...

Old 10-13-2014, 04:57 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
No, it's not. The sound you just heard is oil companies buying up the technology and squashing it.

Squuuuuuaaaaassssshhhhh.

Gone.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:02 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
It has not been verified, as the article erroneously states. At the very best all they can claim is that the reaction was "observed" by third-party researchers.

These third-party researchers did not build the LENR device, nor did they prepare the fuel. Rossi manufactured the fuel and Industrial Heat, LLC (the company Rossi sold all of his E-Cat secrets and potential patent rights) built the LENR device.

When independent researchers are allowed to actually construct the fuel from scratch, build their own device, and are able produce the same results, then it can be claimed that it has been independently verified, but not until then.

However, as long as Rossi and Industrial Heat, LLC provide both the fuel and the LENR device, then they can only say it was independently observed, but not verified.

There are apparently many questions about the fuel being used. The third-party researchers were provided with just one gram of fuel before being used labeled "New," and one gram of fuel after being used labeled "Old." The fuel presented to the researchers did not come from the 32-day test in Switzerland, but rather another test that was performed (without being observed by independent researchers) for 6 months at Industrial Heat's facilities.

So the tests conducted on the fuel cannot be construed as being "independently verified" because the fuel that was tested was never created or used by an independent third party.

Quote:
Analysis of the new powder revealed only carbon, oxygen, and nickel to be present. It is also important to understand that this method of testing cannot detect hydrogen or Lithium – both of which were found in the Oct. 8th paper. So these elements may, or may not, be present. The sample was prepared for analysis by placing it on a piece of tape which contained the elements carbon, hydrogen, and, according to the authors, possibly oxygen. This means it is possible that some percentage of the carbon and oxygen detected in the sample may be from the tape. The old powder, however, shows a wider variety of elements present, including the elements C, O, Mg, Si, P, Ca Fe, Cu, and Ni.

Various particles of the old powder contain different percentages of these elements. The report speculates that certain of these elements may be contaminates or from material used in the soldering of the reactor. Another important fact is that the testing method only determines the composition of the particles near their surface. The different composition of the old powder from the new powder could possibly be partly due to elements present deep in the particles.

Source: Leaked Second Paper With High Magnification of Rossi's Nickel Particles Brings Replication Closer

Old 10-14-2014, 08:16 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
No, it's not. The sound you just heard is oil companies buying up the technology and squashing it.

Squuuuuuaaaaassssshhhhh.

Gone.
I appreciate that you're a cynic, but this just doesn't make any sense.

Oil companies don't exist to extract oil from the ground--they exist to make money. Extracting oil is the way they've found to do that best, but in reality it's expensive, time-consuming, dangerous, and uncertain. If an oil company thought they could make more money selling owl origami instead of petroleum they'd definitely start doing that, instead. Why would they spend billions exploring dangerous parts of the world if they could just buy an invention that saved them all the trouble? And imagine if a company did have this technology and had a patent on it? They could quickly become a trillion dollar company that consists partly of selling energy and partly of enforcing their trillion dollar IP.

I'll believe this when it's published in something like PRL. Of course they don't need me to believe this, if they have a way of making energy they can just sell the energy.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:55 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,015 times
Rossi has been around a while, and he has never managed to deliver anything when faced with an independent test.
Energy Catalyzer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-16-2014, 12:30 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,514,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
Rossi has been around a while, and he has never managed to deliver anything when faced with an independent test.
Energy Catalyzer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It is pretty cool to break the news to City Data forums that cold fusion is here, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology