Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 11:23 PM

11,020 posts, read 5,982,960 times

Advertisements

I didn't mean a 100 watt equivalent but a 100 watt power consumption lamp. One can test this by comparing 20 watt energy savers to 20 watt incandescents (because they are available). My experience (and I haven't made a study of them) is that the tubes get hotter than the bases but that is with 20 watt lamps. A 100 watt lamp would have the same size base but with more power so you could be right about that. I was thinking that the energy savers are more energy efficient so might produce less heat with more light for equal power consumption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 03:43 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I was thinking that the energy savers are more energy efficient so might produce less heat with more light for equal power consumption.
That would be true. You cannot get more than 3,412 BTU's per kWh. An incandescent bulb, hair dryer, cheap electric heater or expensive electric heater all produce about 3,412 BTU's per kWh. AFAIK same thing applies to CFL's, in any event it would not exceed 3,412 BTU's per kWh.

A 100 watt incandescent is going to make about 341 BTU's an hour, a 30 watt CFL is going to be around 100.

Again my point is the heat generating components of the CFL are in the base of the bulb which may present an issue with it going into the fixture.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:55 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,277,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
An "equivalent" 100 watt CFL might only be using 30 watts or whatever it is and will produce less overall heat. My point was the heat generating parts are in the base of the CFL bulb. That is going to more easily transfer into the fixture. If it's some cheesy fixture or enclosed that may present a problem with a larger wattage CFL. Also note if it is enclosed fixture and/or can type lighting that can more easily trap heat CFL's don't last long in that environment to begin with becsue of the excessive heat.

That is roughly what I noticed with the LED bulb I tried. Tons of heat in the base, glass bulb was very moderate temp. Glass broke off right where it met the base, just like the trick for cutting off the bottom of a glass bottle with a torch and some wet string. I bet this would be less of a problem with a well ventilated fixture (which mine was not).

My understanding is that CFL's actually do ok in hallways and barns if they are left on all the time - it's the power cycling that does them in far before their rated life. There goes any energy savings

I like some of these new bulbs, they are pretty cool. But I can't say as I approve of the whole government mandate to use them. Often such things just cost us more, do not have the intended effect, and turn out to have been a sweetheart deal with the new tech manufacturers. Dumb idea all around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology