U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 12:09 PM

2,778 posts, read 1,697,054 times

Advertisements

In some ways, I can understand the appeal of seeing the moon relatively close up, looking back at the Earth, seeing the stars without light pollution, then proceeding through that on to Mars, and the thrill of touching down... and I suppose Olympus Mons would be a pretty spectacular site.

This is of course assuming they'll even make it that far and the whole thing doesn't blow up on the launch pad.

But the reason I wouldn't do it is even if they DO make it and everything goes smoothly, they're stuck in an ugly, dirty lifeless desert for the rest of their short lives... losing bone density and wondering what's going to kill them first.

Seeing the moon, stars and Earth could potentially be doable on a modest budget if Branson can keep at it... so I would rather wait for that then sign up for this. It might even be doable before they launch.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 12:17 PM

12,603 posts, read 6,740,833 times
I kind of see it as something that's gonna have to be done. Just like explorers of the past that pointed their bows towards the horizon and sailed off, not knowing if it was a one way trip or not, but it was just part of it, a chance you took.

Certainly with todays technology, they can be set up for a better chance of success, but nothing is guaranteed.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:45 PM

2,778 posts, read 1,697,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
I kind of see it as something that's gonna have to be done. Just like explorers of the past that pointed their bows towards the horizon and sailed off, not knowing if it was a one way trip or not, but it was just part of it, a chance you took.

Certainly with todays technology, they can be set up for a better chance of success, but nothing is guaranteed.
If they would just wait a few decades, it might be more like the moon landings... you know, where people took off, walked around on the moon, got back in their spaceship and flew back to Earth. They took chances then too-- the difference is that they were smart enough to make sure they would probably come back and be received as heroes instead of fame-hungry idiots.

Space travel to Mars will be perfected when there is demand for it... not as a result of people going on a suicide mission that probably won't even succeed. Like the moon landing, this is mostly just a race to get there first and nothing more... but while the cold war version was motivated by nationalism and ideological rivalry, this one is motivated by fame and YOLO... oh, and leftover propaganda from the Cold War.

The US flew to the moon, planted a flag, realized there wasn't any money to be made and no legitimate reason for anyone to live there, so they did absolutely nothing for the next 40+ years. Now people are going to try to live on Mars? I can't understand why people are going to try to live on Mars before they try to live on the Moon, which is pretty much the same deal, only it's not red, it doesn't have the tallest mountain in the solar system, and you can come home every now and then.

If they don't die from something going wrong (which they will), it's probably going to end in suicide. These pioneers are permanently migrating to an environment that is incapable of supporting life more complex than amoeba.

This entire operation seems like extreme naivete in action.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:26 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,528,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post

Why limit such a mission to just one-way trips? Why not consider round-trip missions? If someone on Mars doesn't want to take the next flight back to Earth, fine. But I think having that option would be reasonable, especially if someone has second thoughts. We need to develop better spacecraft propulsion systems that can make the journey in a shorter amount of time and do so economically. We're not quite there with that yet. But until we can, I'd say leave it to the bots and limited round-trip manned missions.

Mars One
Nuclear Fusion Could Power Rocket to Mars
.... Previous estimates have found that a roundtrip manned mission to Mars would require about 500 days of space travel. Slough, who is president of MSNW, and his colleagues calculated that a rocket powered by fusion would make 30- and 90-day expeditions to Mars possible. The project is funded in part through NASA's Innovative Advanced Concepts Program and received a second round of funding under the program in March....... "We hope we can interest the world with the fact that fusion isn't always 40 years away and doesn't always cost $2 billion," Slough said in a statement.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:22 AM

183 posts, read 278,553 times
I believe going on to this one way trip is the most craziest thing these 100 people doing. Why law enforcement institutions are even going to help NASA to conduct these operations and willingly helping people going on suicide mission. This is the same thing pharma companies do with under developed countries and poor people. These companies test medicines on poor people for some dollars and then launch them on market. Now in this case they just sending people on one way ticket to another planet which can be observed by their machines and robots.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:10 AM

5,473 posts, read 9,222,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
Nuclear Fusion Could Power Rocket to Mars
.... Previous estimates have found that a roundtrip manned mission to Mars would require about 500 days of space travel. Slough, who is president of MSNW, and his colleagues calculated that a rocket powered by fusion would make 30- and 90-day expeditions to Mars possible. The project is funded in part through NASA's Innovative Advanced Concepts Program and received a second round of funding under the program in March....... "We hope we can interest the world with the fact that fusion isn't always 40 years away and doesn't always cost $2 billion," Slough said in a statement.
That would be great, but right now it's just a proposed scenario. We aren't there yet with such a working nuclear fusion propulsion system. NASA's first proposed manned mission to Mars is looking at about 2035 or so with a much slower spacecraft. The Mars One proposal is looking at 2018 for its first unmanned mission, and 2024 for a manned launch date with the landing on Mars in 2025. The big difference between the Mars One project and NASA's project is that NASA's plan would include returning the astronauts to Earth.

Human mission to Mars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Roadmap - Mission - Mars One

Old 02-27-2015, 05:18 AM

5,473 posts, read 9,222,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furqanarshad View Post
I believe going on to this one way trip is the most craziest thing these 100 people doing. Why law enforcement institutions are even going to help NASA to conduct these operations and willingly helping people going on suicide mission. This is the same thing pharma companies do with under developed countries and poor people. These companies test medicines on poor people for some dollars and then launch them on market. Now in this case they just sending people on one way ticket to another planet which can be observed by their machines and robots.
I agree that it seems pretty crazy. The proposed one-way trip to the red planet is a private mission by Mars One. It isn't a NASA project.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:23 AM

35,316 posts, read 49,451,936 times
Sounds like a great idea for those who would welcome the challenge, i'd go for it but i have a problem with claustrophobia, gonna have to wait for much bigger ships.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:42 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,130,226 times
We're all gonna die someday, right?

Old 03-02-2015, 12:25 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,528,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
That would be great, but right now it's just a proposed scenario. We aren't there yet with such a working nuclear fusion propulsion system. NASA's first proposed manned mission to Mars is looking at about 2035 or so with a much slower spacecraft. The Mars One proposal is looking at 2018 for its first unmanned mission, and 2024 for a manned launch date with the landing on Mars in 2025. The big difference between the Mars One project and NASA's project is that NASA's plan would include returning the astronauts to Earth.

Human mission to Mars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Roadmap - Mission - Mars One
In an earlier article about this, the university estimated having a working rocket by 2020 (sooner if NASA gave them more money) if that really does happen then I assume things will change in regards to NASA's plans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology