Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 12:25 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,030,601 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure they're not out there.

• If they were out there, they would have visited us, by now.
  • They haven't killed us.
  • They haven't made contact.

What do you think they're waiting for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 12:25 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Why is it thought that anything Tyson says has any relevance? Did nobody ever raise this question before he did?

Why does this man get so much exposure? He is not intelligent,he is not articulate, he is not entertaining. Is it because he is . . . Never mind.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:32 PM

2,531 posts, read 3,096,958 times
I have always hoped that superior alien beings are "out there." Their existence(s) would throw theology into a tail spin.
That would be fun to witness! (no pun intended.)

Old 03-26-2015, 12:50 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
I'm pretty sure they're not out there.

• If they were out there, they would have visited us, by now.
  • They haven't killed us.
  • They haven't made contact.

What do you think they're waiting for?
How do you know they haven't visited? There's a tremendous amount of evidence that some technologically superior race capable of defying the laws of inertia are visiting us even now ...... it's just that almost all the evidence, including what I've seen, is anecdotal and therefore very weak in terms of scientific credibility.

As for contact ....... maybe they're just not interested in it.

I think that any civilization capable of breaking the lightspeed barrier might very well have limitless energy at their disposal, perhaps from some sort of zero point energy, maybe by easy fusion of limitless interstellar hydrogen to helium ...... who knows? And if they have limitless energy, they could manufacture any element they choose, and if they can do that, they could synthesize any sort of resource they might want. They wouldn't need to conquer any place for its resources.

All they might want is to satisfy curiosity or go sightseeing.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:30 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Anyone remember the movie Contact with Jodie Foster?

The first reconstituted video from another civilization, what it was?

The first image is a swastika and the video is Hitlers speech opening the Olympic Games...

Maybe other civilizations wouldn't want to get involved with what (to them) would appear to be a warlike planet full of people who enjoy butchering each other...

Neil DeGrasse Tyson opines about extraterrestrial aliens-screen-shot-2015-03-27-3.31.20

Last edited by plwhit; 03-27-2015 at 04:39 AM..

Old 03-27-2015, 07:34 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
How do you know they haven't visited? There's a tremendous amount of evidence that some technologically superior race capable of defying the laws of inertia are visiting us even now ...... it's just that almost all the evidence, including what I've seen, is anecdotal and therefore very weak in terms of scientific credibility.

As for contact ....... maybe they're just not interested in it.

I think that any civilization capable of breaking the lightspeed barrier might very well have limitless energy at their disposal, perhaps from some sort of zero point energy, maybe by easy fusion of limitless interstellar hydrogen to helium ...... who knows? And if they have limitless energy, they could manufacture any element they choose, and if they can do that, they could synthesize any sort of resource they might want. They wouldn't need to conquer any place for its resources.

All they might want is to satisfy curiosity or go sightseeing.
How can evidence, especially a "tremendous amount" also be anecdotal? It's either evidence or it's not. What real, beyond a shadow of a doubt, evidence do we humans have that proves the existence of aliens? And why do we automatically assume said aliens are going to be so much more advanced than we are?

I'm not trying to turn this into a religion vs science argument at all - because I know it's against the forum rules. I just don't understand how some scientific minds will argue against the existence of a deity, yet be completely open-minded to the existence of aliens - lifeforms that they have not seen with their own eyes nor have any hard evidence? I understand the fascination with the concept of aliens. In scientific terms, to discover a new intelligent species from some other planet - regardless the nature of said species, is a cool thought. Discovering that there is a deity that is controlling everything is probably not as cool of thought, because that means none of us have control over life and the events that happen on our planet. I just wonder, sometimes, do some scientists truly think in only scientific terms, or do they allow some aspect of their belief system to effect their work?

Old 03-28-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
How can evidence, especially a "tremendous amount" also be anecdotal? It's either evidence or it's not. What real, beyond a shadow of a doubt, evidence do we humans have that proves the existence of aliens? And why do we automatically assume said aliens are going to be so much more advanced than we are?

It's not entirely anecdotal, there have been radar records etc, but yes anecdotes are evidence if there are lots of them. It's just that they're a start for scientists like other observations, that lead to investigation and possibly new discoveries. For example, people kept seeing that when they dropped things, they went down toward the ground rather than up toward the sky or in some other directions. Newton noticed that it seemed to be universal judging by anecdotes, and started wondering about it and doing little experiments. After a while, we got the first version of the Law of Gravitation.

Evidence is not the same thing as proof.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:44 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,724,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Anyone remember the movie Contact with Jodie Foster?

The first reconstituted video from another civilization, what it was?

The first image is a swastika and the video is Hitlers speech opening the Olympic Games...

Maybe other civilizations wouldn't want to get involved with what (to them) would appear to be a warlike planet full of people who enjoy butchering each other...

Attachment 146892

Isn't that because it is widely believed this was the first tv signal we sent into space ? The 1936 olympics.
Yac.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:29 AM

1,868 posts, read 3,066,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
Isn't that because it is widely believed this was the first tv signal we sent into space ? The 1936 olympics.
Yac.
That's how it was explained in the movie, yes. Though I don't know if that's actually true or not.

The book the film was based on was written by Carl Sagan though so he probably knew his facts.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:29 PM

I think any civilization in its earliest stages would have been warlike ...... it's that competition for dominance and valuable resources that drove us to become more civilized, so I suppose the same would be for almost any conceivable large civilization. They would understand.

But we're growing more peaceful than our ancestors in many parts of the world (yes, despite the Islamic glitch).

However, it might be that any civilization that can build computers with artificial intelligence, truly sentient hyper-intelligent ones, might have been completely replaced by them ......... and would be completely inscrutable in terms of motives. Maybe they would study us with a "prime directive", maybe they would consider us as we think of cockroaches, to be exterminated ...... maybe they'd just disregard us entirely and land if they wanted something, and just ignore us if we tried to attack them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology