Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 10:17 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,575,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
If there is a more racist thread than this one anywhere on this board, I certainly have not seen it.
Facts that doesn't please you are racist? You sound ignorant!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 10:21 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,053 times
Quote:
I would rather be a troll than a racist.
You have nothing of value to contribute. All you can do is bleat on about racism like a trained monkey.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:32 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,575,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
You have nothing of value to contribute. All you can do is bleat on about racism like a trained monkey.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:47 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,767,469 times
A fun thing about biology is this: Biology don't give a **** what you WANT to be true. Biology is what it is... protest all you like it doesn't matter.

I think human evolution has been far more complex than we were taught as kids. If there's one thing that's consistent about humans... it's that we'll **** ANYTHING. To my mind it's ridiculous to think that we WOULDN'T have interbred with every human-like critter out there. OF COURSE we have genes from multiple archaic humanoids, and OF COURSE those will very depending on what part of the world you originated in.

Why is this so difficult to accept?

Old 03-07-2015, 11:21 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
If there is a more racist thread than this one anywhere on this board, I certainly have not seen it.
I have, most were deleted or closed. With a few exceptions earlier in the thread, the bulk of this thread is simply anthropology. I'm not sure how science can be racist, but I could see how it is blasphemy if you're religious though.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:28 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
A fun thing about biology is this: Biology don't give a **** what you WANT to be true. Biology is what it is... protest all you like it doesn't matter.

I think human evolution has been far more complex than we were taught as kids. If there's one thing that's consistent about humans... it's that we'll **** ANYTHING. To my mind it's ridiculous to think that we WOULDN'T have interbred with every human-like critter out there. OF COURSE we have genes from multiple archaic humanoids, and OF COURSE those will very depending on what part of the world you originated in.

Why is this so difficult to accept?
The implications of this knowledge leads to the understanding that human beings are not all the same. And if we are all different then we can't be equal. That is what frightens people and some don't even want to consider these facts, because they don't like where these facts will lead them.

And there is a large and vocal group out there that wants nothing more than to silence anyone who would dare speak about our differences. No one is immune from their shrill tactics. Dr. James Watson, the Nobel Prize winning discover of DNA, was forced out of his job and had his career ruined because he spoke about our differences in intelligence. He had to sell his Nobel Prize just to feed himself. And no one proved him wrong. All they did was scream about racism. His unspeakable crime was just breaking the social taboo about discussing racial differences.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:32 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,607,659 times
Quote:
The implications of this knowledge leads to the understanding that human beings are not all the same. And if we are all different then we can't be equal. That is what frightens people and some don't even want to consider these facts, because they don't like where these facts will lead them.

And there is a large and vocal group out there that wants nothing more than to silence anyone who would dare speak about our differences. No one is immune from their shrill tactics. Dr. James Watson, the Nobel Prize winning discover of DNA, was forced out of his job and had his career ruined because he spoke about our differences in intelligence. He had to sell his Nobel Prize just to feed himself. And no one proved him wrong. All they did was scream about racism. His unspeakable crime was just breaking the social taboo about discussing racial differences.
And Spartacus can rest her case.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:39 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,759,513 times
Quote:

I agree with this, but I question the fundamental premise. Why are differences in intelligence conflated with "equality"? Every classroom, crowded bus, even family has people who vary in intelligence, and that single factor has very little bearing on their character, value, or humanity. Everyone knows that blacks are better athletes and musicians than whites, on average. And Asians excel at math. So what? That diversity just strengthens society as a whole, and does not equate to any person's fundamental value.

In my view, the Truth and Reconciliation Commission and the forgiveness championed by Nelson Mandela was one of the pinnacles of human development. I don't know the man's IQ, but he showed a degree of character that is a light to all. So, I don't see where this fear about IQ differences comes from. If it is reality, which all evidence keeps demonstrating, fighting against it is to be a modern day flat earther.

I am not sure what the OP's agenda was, but I do think pondering and discussing human origins is fascinating. I certainly don't intend to put anyone down with it. But the notion that there are no races, or biological differences, strikes me as whitewashing human history to match with current political orthodoxy. That is not right. My passion is ancient hominids (Ebu gogo, Orang Pendek, Gigantopithecus, and the folklore references to wildmen, sasquatch, yowies, hobbits, etc.)and whether and for how long those other species walked among us. We are learning that the human "tree" was more like a bush, with many branches the moves upward together, of which we are the last survivor. If they interbred with us along the way, it is would be a fascinating dimension to human genetic history. That is not racist at all. Just curiosity.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:16 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I agree with this, but I question the fundamental premise. Why are differences in intelligence conflated with "equality"? Every classroom, crowded bus, even family has people who vary in intelligence, and that single factor has very little bearing on their character, value, or humanity. Everyone knows that blacks are better athletes and musicians than whites, on average. And Asians excel at math. So what? That diversity just strengthens society as a whole, and does not equate to any person's fundamental value.

In my view, the Truth and Reconciliation Commission and the forgiveness championed by Nelson Mandela was one of the pinnacles of human development. I don't know the man's IQ, but he showed a degree of character that is a light to all. So, I don't see where this fear about IQ differences comes from. If it is reality, which all evidence keeps demonstrating, fighting against it is to be a modern day flat earther.

I am not sure what the OP's agenda was, but I do think pondering and discussing human origins is fascinating. I certainly don't intend to put anyone down with it. But the notion that there are no races, or biological differences, strikes me as whitewashing human history to match with current political orthodoxy. That is not right. My passion is ancient hominids (Ebu gogo, Orang Pendek, Gigantopithecus, and the folklore references to wildmen, sasquatch, yowies, hobbits, etc.)and whether and for how long those other species walked among us. We are learning that the human "tree" was more like a bush, with many branches the moves upward together, of which we are the last survivor. If they interbred with us along the way, it is would be a fascinating dimension to human genetic history. That is not racist at all. Just curiosity.
I have always enjoyed dicussing our human origins. I started reading about ancient man when I was in elementary school in the 60's and back then Neanderthals were pictured as dumb brutes, hunched over, dark and hairy. About the only thing right was being hairy. Homo floresensis existed up to 12,000 years ago and resembles homo erectus so much, that it may be homo erectus and not a new species, which would mean that up to 30,000 years ago we had Neandrethal, Cromagnon man, Floresensis, possibly Denisovan and modern man all at the same time. Then there is the mitochondrial eve that we all are descended from that goes back 100,000 to 200,000 years ago when something happened to amost wipe out the human species, yet we have Y chromosomes that go back over 500,000 years. It is interesting that the genes from our mothers go back up to 200,000 years ago, but genes from our fathers, so to speak, go back over 500,000 years ago. That gives plenty of room for modern humans to have absorbed many different genes from the different humans that have occupied this planet. I would find it very interesting to find out not just what my background from my historical line, but what prior human species I might be part of. I think I am part Neanderthal, on my dads side I am German, Dutch and Irish with Cherokee from a great grandmother, my moms side is all Portuguese. The German, Dutch, Portugues and Irish have a strong possibility of having Neanderthal and Cro-Magnon . I am not short or tall, but have a barrel chest, large heavy skeleton and long arms and sink when I am in the water, I also have a high cold tolerance and red hair and am very strong. Oh, and I am hairy, my hair on my head grows 14 inches a year, same with my beard. As in Jean M. Auels book series The Earth Children series. I am what Ayla called a hybrid. I am cool with that.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:52 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,759,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
I have always enjoyed dicussing our human origins. I started reading about ancient man when I was in elementary school in the 60's and back then Neanderthals were pictured as dumb brutes, hunched over, dark and hairy. About the only thing right was being hairy. Homo floresensis existed up to 12,000 years ago and resembles homo erectus so much, that it may be homo erectus and not a new species, which would mean that up to 30,000 years ago we had Neandrethal, Cromagnon man, Floresensis, possibly Denisovan and modern man all at the same time. Then there is the mitochondrial eve that we all are descended from that goes back 100,000 to 200,000 years ago when something happened to amost wipe out the human species, yet we have Y chromosomes that go back over 500,000 years. It is interesting that the genes from our mothers go back up to 200,000 years ago, but genes from our fathers, so to speak, go back over 500,000 years ago. That gives plenty of room for modern humans to have absorbed many different genes from the different humans that have occupied this planet. I would find it very interesting to find out not just what my background from my historical line, but what prior human species I might be part of. I think I am part Neanderthal, on my dads side I am German, Dutch and Irish with Cherokee from a great grandmother, my moms side is all Portuguese. The German, Dutch, Portugues and Irish have a strong possibility of having Neanderthal and Cro-Magnon . I am not short or tall, but have a barrel chest, large heavy skeleton and long arms and sink when I am in the water, I also have a high cold tolerance and red hair and am very strong. Oh, and I am hairy, my hair on my head grows 14 inches a year, same with my beard. As in Jean M. Auels book series The Earth Children series. I am what Ayla called a hybrid. I am cool with that.
Haha! Sounds like you are carrying some ancient hominid into the next generation. I read somewhere that some NW Europeans (Irish, Scottish, Norwegian) near the fringes of the continent carry some upper Paleolithic genes that are a bit less diluted by the genes expanding out from the Mediterranean. A lot of massive, large-framed people out that way. That is supposedly one of the reasons folks from that area are more vulnerable to alcoholism, than, say ,Italians. Like Native Americans, and Native Australians, they were at the edge of the Neolithic party, and had less time for alcohol (or grains in general) to have a selective effect. And all this is just within pure human pool. Who knows how much ancient stuff remains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology