Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 12:55 AM

2,343 posts, read 1,739,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Just like some people enjoy thunderstorms and others roll their eyes when you bring it up because they are too busy with their interesting gossip. To each their own. 2.5 years later and here we are. Feels like it went by in a couple of days.
This will be my first totality. My wife and I are driving 800 miles north to west Idaho for it. I can't wait!

stockwiz, have you seen other TSEs? If so, which one(s)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 08:17 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,535,626 times
Question. I don't really want to watch this eclipse, but might accidentally see it while driving. I don't have proper eyewear for it, but my question is , how can this be more damaging than accidentally looking at the sun w/o sunglasses for a split second while driving on a normal day. I always pull the shade visor from my car down when i drive during the day. Do i need to wear eclipse sunglasses when i drive then? If so, i guess i better buy some.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:34 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
...Do i need to wear eclipse sunglasses when i drive then? If so, i guess i better buy some.
If you wear eclipse viewing glasses while you drive you won't be able to see anything.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:01 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
If you wear eclipse viewing glasses while you drive you won't be able to see anything.
so i guess it is safe to say i will be safer not wearing them while driving...lol

Old 08-20-2017, 10:10 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
so i guess it is safe to say i will be safer not wearing them while driving...lol
One thing I recommend: Stand under a leafy tree during the eclipse and observe the hundreds of small crescents projected onto the ground. It's fascinating. Just don't stare at the sun without proper eye protection.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:58 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,954,922 times
don't know what is going on with me - I am totally disinterested in the Eclipse..... I'll be sitting at my desk working while everyone else is outside staring at the sun.... just don't care.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:43 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
don't know what is going on with me - I am totally disinterested in the Eclipse..... I'll be sitting at my desk working while everyone else is outside staring at the sun.... just don't care.
I don't care either.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:46 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,258,832 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I don't care either.
If you're not somewhere that's within the path of totality, or right next to it where you can see the "diamond ring" effect, it's interesting, but it's still really bright and things don't look all that different.

But if you are within the totality, please go out and look at it. It's really spectacular, with the solar corona extending much farther from the sun that it looks in photographs. And it's just a couple of minutes long.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:51 AM
SFX

1,636 posts, read 892,171 times
Just looked at the start of it, using official glasses. It's exciting.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:09 PM

24,405 posts, read 23,061,247 times
Quote:
>>>. I was listening to the idiot of the year being interviewed on Fox as he was talking about peoples reactions to the Eclipse and the trips they made to see it. He praised the desire for people to witness a scientific marvel and to embrace nature and the world around them. BS. People just want to be part of something and to be entertained and go along with whatever the crowds do and what they're told they should be doing. They'd line up to see a volcano erupt and to see a tidal wave and not think twice about the science involved. Its all hype, one big circus.
Still, nature puts on quite a show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology