U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2015, 03:38 AM

290 posts, read 242,179 times

Advertisements

Chernobyl. What will become of the sarcophagus above Reactor 4?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCM6o0AluEY

The best scientific work on Chernobyl in my opinion is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherno...he_Environment

I expect that this thread will suffer disinteredonium poisoning; nobody else seems to be as interested in Chernobyl as I am
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 03:55 AM

Or a more recent take on reactor 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRdlAzLiPC0

Old 05-27-2015, 01:37 PM

15,919 posts, read 19,443,228 times
I expect that this thread will suffer disinteredonium poisoning; nobody else seems to be as interested in Chernobyl as I am

You're right...

Old 05-29-2015, 06:12 PM

2,753 posts, read 2,992,131 times
The crazy thing is that not many people know what Chernobyl is. It's not being taught at all. One of my co-workers is from the Ukraine and remembers when this happened. She lived in Kiev for many years and she brought fish from the market all the time. Once the reactor exploded and caused widespread radiation issues many fish got sick and died. Fisherman weren't not as educated and they should be but many of them caught and sold fish at that market and many customers got sick. Unfortunately some of them got deathly sick because of it.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:15 PM

509 posts, read 549,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silent hypnotist View Post
Chernobyl. What will become of the sarcophagus above Reactor 4?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCM6o0AluEY

The best scientific work on Chernobyl in my opinion is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherno...he_Environment

I'm absolutely fascinated with Chernobyl. I even visited the city on a day trip through a company called Solo East. The sarcophagus needed to be rebuilt or else it would've been a disaster for Europe. The reactor was actively leaking.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:38 PM

It is hard to know what is fact and what is parochial propaganda.

There is that story of the three Russian soldiers who had to leap into a radioactive pool to shut off a valve. Two of them died of radioactivity. Had they not shut the valve then Chernobyl would have blown its other reactors and made Europe into Fallout 3.

That channel bionerd23 is incredible. She goes into the buildings, sometimes in a suit. The one that got to me the most was when she pointed out the clothing of firefighters that is still there. There are many things that are still not known. Russia in 1989 passed a law that has kept the number of "liquidators" - people who went in to the plant in suicidal missions - a classified secret.

In 1986 I was a primary school kid here in Australia. I did a school project on Chernobyl about 2 weeks after it occurred.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:10 PM

20,058 posts, read 17,320,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silent hypnotist View Post
It is hard to know what is fact and what is parochial propaganda.

There is that story of the three Russian soldiers who had to leap into a radioactive pool to shut off a valve. Two of them died of radioactivity. Had they not shut the valve then Chernobyl would have blown its other reactors and made Europe into Fallout 3.

That channel bionerd23 is incredible. She goes into the buildings, sometimes in a suit. The one that got to me the most was when she pointed out the clothing of firefighters that is still there. There are many things that are still not known. Russia in 1989 passed a law that has kept the number of "liquidators" - people who went in to the plant in suicidal missions - a classified secret.

In 1986 I was a primary school kid here in Australia. I did a school project on Chernobyl about 2 weeks after it occurred.

OP, don't feel bad. It's the same for Hanford, Three Mile, and Fukushima. Not many people are interested...WHY?!

Think this (idiom): burying one's head in the sand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology