Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 10:06 AM

2,761 posts, read 3,427,433 times

Advertisements

I was watching Hell on Wheels on netflix this weekend and was curious about progression of human IQ. The stuff I found online does not sound right:

All I was trying to figure out was the average IQ of people living in the 1800 v now )

This second chart does not sound right to me either: I have met East Asians that thought they were smarter then every-one, but I can't say that Asians are smarter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 10:37 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I sometimes think we are less educated in what it takes to survive in this modern world. overall. One needs to use brain to survive first and foremost ;is my thought.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:38 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
IQ itself is a skewed measurement, but speaking in generalities problem solving skills decline through atrophy if not exercised regularly. Hunter gatherers have to problem solve constantly to survive. Someone with a repetitive job and safe sources of shelter and food does not.

Racial comparisons are polarizing and less than useful in general.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:39 AM

781 posts, read 736,771 times
We're all devo....

Old 07-06-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
IQ itself is a skewed measurement, but speaking in generalities problem solving skills decline through atrophy if not exercised regularly. Hunter gatherers have to problem solve constantly to survive. Someone with a repetitive job and safe sources of shelter and food does not.

Racial comparisons are polarizing and less than useful in general.
I think that the way we measure IQ might be a problem.
1. You are problem solving in your daily life, only the problems are different since hunter gathering.
2. We have internet and computers that place facts at our fingertips. We can research anything fast.

The chart is saying that average IQ in 1950 was higher then now. 1940 was WW2, it was devastating to Europe. How is it possible that IQ is higher 1950 then now ?

Russia, China, US, EU, Canada all have literacy rates over 95%. I mean global literacy has increased in 100 years, so how is it possible that we are dumber?

All I was trying to find out, is the difference in eras. What was average intelligence during civil war, Ancient Rome, middle ages, Egypt etc...

Old 07-06-2015, 02:09 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
I don't think you will find your answer. If they tested for iq during those times their baseline was likely different so the results are going to be skewed.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:50 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,004 times
You're wise to have a healthy skepticism for things you find online. You should trust a source in relation to how well it has been vetted. Random websites generally indicate only that the writer has access to a computer. For one, IQ isn't a great measure of changes with time as it is supposed to be normalized. If you look a little harder you can find people who say intelligence is going up:

http://www.apa.org/monitor/2013/03/smarter.aspx
Are Humans Getting Smarter or Dumber? | Intelligence & IQ

They take current IQ tests and older IQ tests and have the same group of people take both. Invariably the old tests give higher IQs than the new ones, suggesting that people are getting smarter. There's even a Wikipedia entry on this, so it must be true ;-)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flynn_effect

As for the "race" and IQ graph, I'd be highly suspicious of both the data and any conclusions one might want to draw.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:01 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
If you want to know how "dumb" folks are these days, ask the following questions...

1) About how long does it take the Earth to rotate on its axis?
2) About how long does it take the moon to revolve around the Earth?
3) About how long does it take for the Earth to revolve around the sun?
4) Is it always dark on the far side of the moon?

Old 07-07-2015, 12:36 PM

21,122 posts, read 19,707,707 times
What are we measuring?:
  1. The capacity of the human mind to think
  2. The amount of knowledge that the general population has
  3. The ability of people to thrive in their daily lives
  4. The quality of schooling
  5. The ability to get high scores on a random IQ test
  6. Etc.?
I'd say that people today are dumber about traditional knowledge topics (astronomy, mathematics, etc.), but damn, they can tell you all you ever wanted to know about Hollywood celebrities, TV shows, movies, etc.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
What are we measuring?:
  1. The capacity of the human mind to think
  2. The amount of knowledge that the general population has
  3. The ability of people to thrive in their daily lives
  4. The quality of schooling
  5. The ability to get high scores on a random IQ test
  6. Etc.?
I'd say that people today are dumber about traditional knowledge topics (astronomy, mathematics, etc.), but damn, they can tell you all you ever wanted to know about Hollywood celebrities, TV shows, movies, etc.
Younger generations are better with technology then older people. You have helped your grandma setup her VCR and your kid will help you setup you cellphone

But you have good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology