Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 12:49 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I love this modern age and the people who live in it.

It's not good enough that they keep their dislikes to themselves, they have to broadcast it to the world under the guise of a simple sounding statement...

Then little by little out it comes "why your desires?" "I am unhappy" Telling everyone their limited knowledge and ignorance of the technology they refuse to use because it was better "in the good old days when things were simpler"

They bring up their dislikes and personal feelings to strangers who really don't give a hoot one way or the other.

Threads like this one make more sense in this forum:

//www.city-data.com/forum/mental-health/
I disagree. It comes more under the shopping and consumer product header, as much of the complaining is about increasingly obtuse systems (from companies that refuse to let you stop services, to software updates that obfuscate, to rules and regulations and laws that are often at best ridiculous).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 01:14 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,428,390 times
Tamara,

To me it sounds like you are way overthinking this.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Skype is free. Install it for the conference and then uninstall it after if it bothers you to have it on your pc.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:31 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
In another thread, I've been asking about cell phones for my limited needs....but looking at my limited needs, I see that I don't do them that often. The other day as part of an office project, I, among all, was asked to participate in the future in a Skype discussion (well during my off time but that's something else). I declined because I don't have the away from work resources (Razr phone, don't have Skype on my laptop).

But the question is there. Should I have Skype on my laptop? I think not because the only people who I have come across who have asked about Skype at home are those who have wanted to get very intimate with me and that's the kind of thing I turn down flat. If not for the reason of them, then who else in the blazes would I be talking to?

Should I have a smart phone? Again, the question is why? The Razr does what I need it for and "everything" else is handled through other means.

Now, in part, these questions are asked by the counter personalty of a shopaholic. Ie, those counter questions from "Why do you want to go to the grocery store for that special meal when you have all that food at home you can cook up?" to "Why do you want to spend the hundreds for another 1911 when you already have all that stuff in the vault?".

So, is there a reason?
Yes, no, and maybe.

There is no universal answer. It all depends on the individual and the situation. You say you don't want skype on your laptop. And if you have the option of not taking part in the work Skype discussion. Then I guess you don't have the need. But on the flip side, let's say you are a consultant and the client is asking you to participate. Not doing so can jeopardize the contract (and thus your job). In a way, then I guess you need to install it

Also - there is need, and there is want. SMS is my primary way of communication. Do I absolutely need it? Of course not. I just prefer it. However, I have friends who don't text. So if I really want to communicate with them, I'll need to call or email. You adopt to your situation.

Old 10-02-2015, 06:05 PM

282 posts, read 219,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
So your reason for not participating in a project was because you refused to download a free app. I would call that a backward employee.
Ya. I am also boggled by the OP's reason. And I don't see why using Skype for work will automatically make you prey for those who want to be intimate with you?

I mean you install for WORK purpose only so the only ones who can have access on your skype is your work. NO ONE else.

Now if what you are worried about is spam calls you can always block them, ignore them and delete them like for serious OP what's wrong with you? I am confused.

Old 10-04-2015, 02:00 AM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,123 times
I use Skype on my phone for video chatting with family members that live in other states. I think video chatting is the only free option from Skype.

I also use GPS on my phone to get to locations I've never been too or to browse the web, use weather apps or news apps to know what's happening in the world or read books from my Barnes and Noble Nook app (don't have to carry around books if they're all on my phone). I can also read emails or study powerpoints from class on my phone.

There's also the usual social media apps; Google+, instagram, Facebook, Twitter or watching videos from YouTube, far more convenient having it all on your phone instead of carrying around a large laptop.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:18 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,340,178 times
Skype is only free from one skype user to another skype user. If someone is planning on using it to save money on long distance calls in general, they would do better to get some sort of free long distance calling service like Tracfone, etc.

Whatever reason you have for having it, or not having it, is valid.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:26 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Which is a smart phone, right?
Yes, Skype installs automatically to win 10 and annoys me. Had to uninstall it. Had some Skype job interviews. have some friends overseas where the preferred method of contact would be Skype.

But I have to be told to turn on Skype in advance, i don't run it.

At work we use other means.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:58 PM

58 posts, read 34,907 times
Most of what people do ever in their life has all to do with wanting to do it rather than needing to because if people only ever did what they needed to do, life would be a pointless exercise in existing for the sake of existing, being a mindless boring bland meaningless entity with no purpose, spirit nor passion. No doubt this sums you up very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology