Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2015, 06:50 AM

128 posts, read 93,940 times

Advertisements

I install motorized blinds/shades that come with remotes that have two modes of operation either radio frequency or infrared. I do not understand why the option of infrared. With the infrared you have to aim the remote directly at the motor end of the shade to operate. Whereas the radio frequency it doesn't matter what direction you have the remote aimed at. So whats the advantage of having an infrared option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 08:04 AM

2,311 posts, read 1,846,941 times
Doesn't infrared have less chance or no interference?

Old 11-29-2015, 08:05 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
My first guess would be infrared is cheaper to implement. My second guess would be no interference or operation from other devices, e.g. your neighbor isn't going to be able to open and close your shades, turn your TV on or off etc. Additionally if they have a device on the same wavelength it can cause interference. Unless the remotes and the shades are paired that's a distinct possibility.

This is actually issue with garage door openers at least ones made years ago, same thing with the cheap remote doorbells. The garage doors now use a unique identifier that pair the remote with the garage door.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:51 PM

213 posts, read 216,758 times
I would speculate it is for legacy reasons. Lot's of people have home systems that use only infrared "universal" controllers. Thus the blinds can be sold to customers with infrared only universal remotes and don't want the hassle of multiple controllers.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:56 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,578,057 times
Default Paranoid customers

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowtreatments View Post
So whats the advantage of having an infrared option?
The security and interference issues of RF vs IR shouldn't be an issue in a well designed system. I think that it comes down to the bottom line that IR is incredibly inexpensive to implement, so why not have the option to pacify the paranoid consumer?

You have customers who are not only afraid of health risks, but that there are home thieves who will open their shades to see if anyone is home as they are casing the place.

Forbes article, Why Scientists Say Wi-Fi Signals Won't Give Your Kids Cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology