Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 12:20 PM

50,232 posts, read 46,991,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Somewhere in the last 30 years, the house had picked up about a 500' of coaxial cable. You probably think I am exaggerating, but it was 7 layers deep in some places and the house is over 70' long. There were splitters everywhere. As the point of entry changed at least twice, the techs were just adding cable rather than removing anything.

I fished all the coaxial out of the walls and ceiling joists and threw it all away and replaced it with RG-6 cable. There is only one place where RG-59 still exists as the cable guys had put on new F-connectors after fishing it through a tiny hole in the floor. To replace it I would have to cut off the connectors and buy a tool to add new ones. I just figured it wasn't worth it.

But I simplified it to a single 30' run to a 4 way splitter. I run one leg to the modem, and the other 3 to televisions. I removed all amplifiers as they were no longer necessary.

If you can get rid of splitters, that will take care of a lot of problems. Also try to tie off open connections by buying splitters with fewer legs. Cleaning the connections with DeoxIT Contact Cleaner is also a good idea.
If one had analog before it was probably fine and the mini-box can't run with. If that's the case an amp just amplifies the noise so to speak. Splitters are usually the problem.

Usually Cox won't charge you for equipment if you go the front counter and pick it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 01:28 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,527,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatanka01 View Post
Those passive splitters have HUGE insertion losses and you just can't split a cable 4-6 ways without amplification (and expect it to work).
The newest cable equipment has all 6 tuners in one box with a DVR and a CableCARD. The secondary televisions use "client" boxes and borrow one of the tuners on the primary box. Instead of 8 way splitters, you only need to split the coaxial to the modem and to the DVR with coaxial, as the clients only require Cat5e or Cat6 and a run to a common router.

It is possible to use coaxial and MoCA, but then you need all the splits.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:36 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times
If I understand what the OP is looking for we used one of these at our last house and it did an excellent job.

RCA DT140M Coax Amplifiers | eBay

Old 08-15-2016, 01:50 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,527,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If I understand what the OP is looking for we used one of these at our last house and it did an excellent job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you have a lot of interference on the signal it's not going to help and will actually make it worse because it adds it's own noise. Apparently they are only useful if you already have a clean signal and need to boost it for splitting into multiple lines.
Without knowing anything about the individual problem, there is no way to know if the amplifier will help or hurt a problem.
Amplifiers make both signal and noise louder. Generally you are looking for the ratio of signal to noise to get better.

Eliminating extra splits helps quite a bit. So does keeping most of the signal going to the modem. Sometimes you want to use a "tap" or an "unbalanced split" instead of a "balanced split".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology