Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Time Travel : Is it possible?
Yes it is possible but we dont have the technology yet 17 33.33%
Yes its possible but it cant be proven 13 25.49%
No it is scientificaly impossible to time travel 21 41.18%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 10:23 AM

409 posts, read 2,633,880 times

Advertisements

What do you think about time travel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 11:12 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,005 times
It is possible to travel to the future in theory. Supposedly if one revolves around the Earth fast enough for enough time more time will pass on Earth than it does for him. I was told by a physics teacher that if a man orbited the Earth at the speed of light for 40 years, 10,000 years will have passed on Earth. It all based on Einstein's theories. I don't whether or not any of them would actually work. But Einstein would argue that it would be impossible to travel backward in time. Whenever some one who is schooled in physics tries to explain that sort of thing to me, my brain shuts down.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:56 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,309,432 times
I figure it's probably possible. Though i'm not a physicist, time is a constant and I don't think that a change in velocity will change that. However there probably is a way to alter the fabric of time to move between periods of time, both forwards and backwards.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:12 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreidi View Post
What do you think about time travel?
I'm travelling forward in time right now!

Old 02-15-2008, 12:28 PM

667 posts, read 2,300,319 times
Ever heard of the Hyper Dimensional Resonator (HDR)? I know, sounds corny, but I've actually been following it since I was 19. A man named Steven Gibbs invented it & claims that with this device one can travel in time. Google it.

Other that than, yes, I do think that it is possible. I don't have any real education behind what I believe, but I also believe in the Loch Ness monster, so go figure.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:15 PM

409 posts, read 2,633,880 times
I think that if someone would travel in time a new "PARALLEL REALITY" would exist leaving the original reality intact and changing the outcome of the new one.
Thats one of me theories.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:46 AM

1,181 posts, read 4,009,835 times
Time travel in the future is not just theory...it has been experimentally proven...although very subtly.

In order to notice effects of time travel one must travel at speeds which are a considerable fraction of the speed of light. By doing so one may experience "time dilation."

In very simplistic terms, anything moving with respect to another object will have its time dilated with respect to the stationary object. This means that even at slow speeds a moving object experiences "time dilation" or a slowing of time, however at slow speeds the time gap is so small its completely unmeasurable.

If an object is in orbit (or anywhere for that matter) is moving at very very slow speeds when compared to the speed of light. I suppose if it orbited for 40 years you might be able to measure a tiny "time dilation" effect. I could calculate it, but won't bother right now. I'm guessing it would be less than a 1 second (if that) over a 40 year period.

In order for your experiment to work, the person would have to move at speeds near the speed of light to notice the effects you're suggesting. Obviously, speeds like that are entirely impossible right now, so it can't be done on things the size of baseballs and spaceships...at least right now.

However, the concept of "time dilation or the "slowing of time for a moving object" is not theory. It is something that has been verified repeatedly in particle physics. In fact, scientists who study fundamental particles have to correct for time dilation in order for things to "work out correctly" and actually use it very regularly.

I would also add that these effects, known as "relativistic effects" are something that are corrected for all the time in certain technologies. In fact, the military version of GPS must correct for relativistic effects which arise under the "general theory of relativity" in order for the system to be accurate. I won't get into "GR" because its quite a bit more complicated than "special relativity" (which is described by the moving object example). I'll just add that Einstein also showed that clocks run slower in large gravitational fields, but that's a different discussion.

Old 02-16-2008, 04:45 AM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,045,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
Time travel in the future is not just theory...it has been experimentally proven...although very subtly.
A theory is an explanation for something that has been proven to occur.

Regarding the poll, I didn't vote. It is absolutely possible to travel through time at a different rate than another entity in a separate frame of reference, and even needs to be taken into account when making various computations related to manned space flight as well as the timing of out space satellites.

So, it is possible, and it's not a matter of technology because even when you run with your legs, time flows at a different rate than it does for somebody standing still watching you.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:34 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,009,835 times
Yes, its a matter a degree. The point of the question though is asking whether or not space travel, in a noticeable sense, is possible. As I clearly stated, even at slow speeds time dilation occurs. But the point of the question is not to address these subtle effects...its to address time differences that are large enough for a human to notice.

That is absolutely a matter of technology.

I would also add your mixing the use of the word "theory." The way it was framed in the early posts it is clearly the layman's version of "theory." In science there are theoretical descriptions of expected behavior which are governed by things like "the theory of gravity" or the "theory of relativity." However, even scientists use the word "theory" to describe things that have been "done on paper" as opposed to things done by experiment. This latter description is clearly what the poster was suggesting.

Also, the correction made in satellites is due to general relativity not special relativity.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:10 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,164,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I'm travelling forward in time right now!
Were all stuck in a river of time flowing in one direction only. It's like a raging river with no way to get out. We are prisoners, for now.

Yes, time travel into the future is possible if you go a significant fraction of light speed. Going backwards in time, that's a completely different problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology