Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 03:23 PM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,053,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Do you mean weightless or massless? Weight wait, don't tell me. You mean the force of gravity is still acting upon them but has been counterpoised by another force. Their weight, as measured on a scale travelling with them, is zero. The effect in the immediate environment is weightless, so the nay-sayers have a point. After all, when we weigh baggage getting on a plane in Montreal, we don't verify its weight when it arrives in Mexico and is traveling faster around the earth. (FWIW, it weighs more or less the same, but because of other factors.)
Not again...I give up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 01:22 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,517,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Because sh*t floats.
Indeed. Except for the rare exceptions when you get a person who actually knows what they're doing and can hire.

My lead at a project was because of that. Yeah, we were buddy buddy with the Project Manager, but thats because he recognized good work and got us jobs.

The other shift lead? He tried to blame a my documents folder being deleted on one of my teammates. He then publicly told everyone this at a meeting to discuss the issues between the two teams

The guy they tried to pin it on, had like 5+ years of data recovery experience. Within 2 days, he showed that the file had been removed at 11:45pm. An hour and 15 minutes after he left for the day.

And yeah, Im about to start charging them. I'm glad my mom does my friend's books, because I just tell her to call Mike, I'm too busy

Old 02-21-2008, 01:39 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,719,707 times
I get this all the time too...Is it because we look or sound young? It's gotten to the point that I just tell them the opposite of what I would actually do just because I know they will not listen at all anyway.......ha ha. Also, at work, since they don't listen their pc will always be messed up=job security.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:26 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,797,631 times
Oh that's interesting; I don't really have this problem. If I give tech advice...people usually get right on it. But I don't like being everyone's free "help desk support" if you know what I mean. I'm a nice person...but I don't like being taken advantage of. For example, my mom's boyfriend brought a plasma TV w/the whole surround sound system and on top of that wanted to know how to connect his laptop and camcorder. I seriously didn't even get over to his place until the end of January and basically set up everything, marked the important pages in the manual, and showed him where the inputs were labeled.

Of course my mom wasn't too happy that I took so long; but hey, why not call the Geek Squad or try to read the manual or something; you know?

Old 02-23-2008, 01:30 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,517,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therewego View Post
I get this all the time too...Is it because we look or sound young? It's gotten to the point that I just tell them the opposite of what I would actually do just because I know they will not listen at all anyway.......ha ha. Also, at work, since they don't listen their pc will always be messed up=job security.
I tell my boss that all the time (Boss at my desk clerk job)

Its so fun, especially when the person knows they're asking dumb questions. They ask things like, "Is this a stupid question? Should I know this?"

My reply, 'Yep! But, people like you give me job security."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology