Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 10:54 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,503,079 times

Advertisements

Just ignore it? Or constantly ask you question after question and don't believe your answers?

Case in point:
My friend's mom calls me occasionally for tech advice with her computer. And she mentioned that her mcafee subscription or whatever was up. I told her, use Avast Antivirus. She asked, 'what does it cost"? My reply, "Nothing. Its free." Her reply, 'Is it a virus?!"

GRRR! Woman! I work with PCs for a living. Its how I make money... both independent contracting, and as an employee of a company. please, if you ask my advice... just take it. its okay to ask me a question or two... but, when i tell you its what I use at home, and I can guarantee my computer is exposed to more viruses than hers ever will be...

(my PC is on the campus network, and that network is infested with viruses, you sick sick people who were thinking otherwise)

/rant.

Please post yours and validate my post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 11:39 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,016 times
I know the feeling you speak of. I've even seen it on this forum. People will ask a question, to which I've replied, then they ask the same question (possibly with different phrasing) on the same thread after they've received an answer. Sometimes they start a new thread to ask the same question again after it's already been answered.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:06 AM

3,972 posts, read 5,163,440 times
What's worse is when it's a co-worker that won't believe what your telling them.

Case in point, I'm a comp tech for a large public entity. I one of five guys that maintain computers on our network. A couple of years ago we started building our images with NTFS instead of FAT32 (we were running WinXP Pro). Our lead network tech found out about it and had a fit. He wanted us to go back and using Partition Magic, convert them back to FAT32. He claimed FAT32 was easier to troubleshoot and quicker. We told him we would rather rebuild the image using NTFS instead. He said that would take to long.

After explaining to him multiple times it isn't a good idea to go back from NTFS, he decided to try it himself. It worked fine at first, then started coming up with various errors, all related to the fall back to FAT32.

He claimed we sabotaged the machine just to make him look bad. I sent him a bunch of links to various sites that explained the errors and how they were caused by going from NTFS to FAT32. He still didn't believe it was anything he did.

He didn't talk to us for a couple of months and we're still building the images with NTFS.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:09 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
often, we do not say what people want to hear.
film 6th sense, a little boy, "people hear and see just what they want to".

Old 02-20-2008, 03:01 AM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,045,575 times
Or like when you try to explain to somebody that the astronauts on the Space Shuttle are not weightless, and the reason they float is because the shuttle is centripetally accelerating, just like water in a bucket swinging over one's head is not weightless -- and people will just ignore the rational and insist that floating equates to weightless.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:18 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Do you mean weightless or massless? Weight wait, don't tell me. You mean the force of gravity is still acting upon them but has been counterpoised by another force. Their weight, as measured on a scale travelling with them, is zero. The effect in the immediate environment is weightless, so the nay-sayers have a point. After all, when we weigh baggage getting on a plane in Montreal, we don't verify its weight when it arrives in Mexico and is traveling faster around the earth. (FWIW, it weighs more or less the same, but because of other factors.)

Or, to use a different example, when a person standing on a scale falls from a building towards the earth, and hasn't yet reached terminal velocity and been seriously affected by air resistance, that person experiences a brief sensation of weightlessness, proven by not being able to stay on the scale, even though gravity is still pulling them both towards the pavement. By the definition of weightless you are using, there never is weightlessness, even in the far reaches of outer space, and the word has no meaning. Methinks your definition serves only to confuse, while trying to state that people in orbit are still affected by gravity. One can be weightless and still be affected by gravity.

Don't sweat the people not listening to free advice. Charge them for it, and then if they don't use it you still have some satisfaction.

I have a relative that was repeatedly asking what to do about a particular problem, to which I always gave the same logical response. After the fourth time, I flat out said that I didn't want to hear about it anymore, that I had given my advice and no longer cared. The next conversation, my advice had been followed. I think she had been recursive until I was on the verge of cursing.

Last edited by harry chickpea; 02-20-2008 at 08:39 AM..

Old 02-20-2008, 11:06 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
One of my favorites is when I 'm on the phone walking someone through a fix. I'll tell them to do a few things, perhaps to get to a certain screen so I can ask about a value or if a box is checked. When I ask for the information I get, "Oh I'm not on that screen. I looked at something else."

Or your in the middle of the same scenario and you ask them to wait while you check on something. You hear the keyboard clicking in the background. I always ask what they're doing and get some idiot answer about looking at a screen or something. I then ask if the screen I told them to wait on is still displayed. "No, I'm looking at something else."

I give them two of these. I then tell them one of two things depending on my mood and few other things.

1. "You realize that the extra time you're making me use to get you back to screen where I told you to wait is billable, don't you?"

2. "Tell you what, Why don't you call the Geek Squad. If you're not going to follow my instructions I don't want you as a client."

Had another guy: Mr question. He would ask a question, let me get out three or four words and ask another. Over and over and over. Finally during one of his interrupting rants. I started repeating his name until he finally stopped and asked me "what"? "Dave, if you're going to ask me a question and not let me answer it before you ask another one why do you ask me a question?" Fifteen seconds of silence. "Sorry." Didn't happen again.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:08 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
What's worse is when it's a co-worker that won't believe what your telling them.

Case in point, I'm a comp tech for a large public entity. I one of five guys that maintain computers on our network. A couple of years ago we started building our images with NTFS instead of FAT32 (we were running WinXP Pro). Our lead network tech found out about it and had a fit. He wanted us to go back and using Partition Magic, convert them back to FAT32. He claimed FAT32 was easier to troubleshoot and quicker. We told him we would rather rebuild the image using NTFS instead. He said that would take to long.

After explaining to him multiple times it isn't a good idea to go back from NTFS, he decided to try it himself. It worked fine at first, then started coming up with various errors, all related to the fall back to FAT32.

He claimed we sabotaged the machine just to make him look bad. I sent him a bunch of links to various sites that explained the errors and how they were caused by going from NTFS to FAT32. He still didn't believe it was anything he did.

He didn't talk to us for a couple of months and we're still building the images with NTFS.
Why is it always the lead tech that is clueless? One of the reasons I started my own business was to get away from the idiots. They were best at butt kissing so they got the top job. Then the rest of us had to work around all the stupid ideas that came out of that mushy head.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:48 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Why is it always the lead tech that is clueless?
It's the Peter Principle in action.

Speaking as a Lead Analyst with a technical manager who also has a clue, I would respond by saying that the above is not always true. Just sometimes.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:31 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,753,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Why is it always the lead tech that is clueless? One of the reasons I started my own business was to get away from the idiots. They were best at butt kissing so they got the top job. Then the rest of us had to work around all the stupid ideas that came out of that mushy head.
Because sh*t floats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology