Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 03:41 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
I think ultra-realistic full sensory virtual reality is much more likely-stuff that taps into your brain. I think people would just be too creeped out to date a robot.
Sure we say that now as i get what your saying.....but in the future these will be so realistic that even the smell of them will be human as you'll just not know the difference.

Yeah we joke about them as being a sex toy for people but they could help the ''Old Folks'' in their 80's or older that live alone and that need companionship as you hear of most elder are lonely as everyone they knew in their lives are dead and gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 03:43 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
Wonder if the female robots will ask how you're feeling afterwards.

(Just kidding!)

"Does this battery pack make my butt look big?"

Old 02-21-2008, 07:32 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
A cool article with Computer Pioneer and Robotic expert David Levy saying that in 50 years humans can and will marry robots as they will be so advanced we won't be able to tell the difference between them and humans.

Humans Marrying Robots? A Q&A with David Levy: Scientific American
Makes sense

......in Bizarro World

Old 02-21-2008, 08:36 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Sure we say that now as i get what your saying.....but in the future these will be so realistic that even the smell of them will be human as you'll just not know the difference.
So your saying the only way to know if anyone is real is punching them in the stomach? I think i'll do that whenever I go out with someone, just to make sure they are human.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:04 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
I'll be surprised if a realistic robot happens as soon as 50 years. There are too many technical and heuristic hurdles to overcome.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:59 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I'll be surprised if a realistic robot happens as soon as 50 years. There are too many technical and heuristic hurdles to overcome.
I agree. Heck they can't even make film yet that can fool even a casual observer.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:04 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I think 50 years is more than enough time to cover the tech. hurdles-now the ethical and moral implications, thats a different story. I mean, we can barely get along as different races, can you imagine a civil rights movement with AI and humans?? By the way, if these robots are true AI (artificial intel) then they are self aware. And who says they will want to be a part of our society?

Old 02-21-2008, 05:22 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
This Thread reminds me of the movie Rocky 4 when Rocky bought Paulie a Robot and at first it talked like how a Robot would sound and then later in the movie when they were going over to Russia to fight Drago the Robot had a Womens voice and it was nagging Paulie and saying stuff like ''Paulie where's socks and did you pack your toothbrush and if i told you once i've told you a thousand times .....''.

lol.....That was too damn funny.....lol......

Old 02-21-2008, 08:50 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Marrying a robot could be quite good. If you're not good looking enough to attract the opposite sex of a real human, then presumbly a robot could be programmed to think you're gorgeous for days. and want to marry you.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:58 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
I think 50 years is more than enough time to cover the tech. hurdles-now the ethical and moral implications, thats a different story. I mean, we can barely get along as different races, can you imagine a civil rights movement with AI and humans?? By the way, if these robots are true AI (artificial intel) then they are self aware. And who says they will want to be a part of our society?
And I thought junior high was bad enough when I went. Can you imagine calling up a robot for a date and getting turned down?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology