Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 08:24 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I want one of those government jobs where you spy on people all day..."what did she buy on amazon.com? what did he buy at the grocery store? where did she eat lunch today?" There must be millions of these government phone spy jobs available. I bet I could work at home as a government phone spy and make a lot of money spying on the random details of everyday life of all 325 million citizens of this country.

That's a lot of government phone spy jobs.
Its not humans at work. It is computers.

Take a moment to learn what is really happening instead of creating fantasies.

https://nsa.gov1.info/data/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 02:47 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
"Look Harry - There goes that Joe Smith fella in Tyler Texas going to Wal-Mart again - write up a report."
LOL.

I disagree with your POV on this issue, but that ^^^^^ is still D**N funny.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:19 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kode View Post
Apparently tracking secretly started in 2010. The government has detailed maps on every cell phone user.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...fac_story.html

https://www.eff.org/issues/cell-tracking

Report: iPhones secretly track their users' locations - CNN.com

When is it too much?
Did you think it to be otherwise? they can also track where you go on your computer,track credit/debit card transactions and through event data recorders track your driving habits,Then if they really get interested they can track your movements by satellite or by hyper listening devices. The days of privacy are over.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:39 AM

808 posts, read 541,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
If we have to get national IDs, we will then become what I used to see in old b&w movies, when ordinary German citizens walking down the street were stopped by the SS for some reason, and the citizens had to show their "papers." When I was a kid, that seemed so horrible. So fascist. I also wondered what kind of papers those were. Because in America, things like that didn't happen. Then the Patriot Act happened, and all that changed.
Actually, it started long before the Patriot Act. I remember the Oklahoma City bombing, and within two days, Congress passed a law that got rid of habeas corpus, and severely limited other constitutional protections. I think it redfined terrorist as anyone who threated corporate profits. They obviously had this on the shelf, waiting for an opportunity to ram it through.

Snowden's release just made public what researchers had been saying since the 80s, at least.

What's different is that nowadays, people don't care. Back in the 60s and 70s, people were adamant that only repressive regimes made people show their papers, and threw people into indefinite confinement.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:45 AM

808 posts, read 541,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Who cares? If you do, get a grip. There are a lot of people freaking out over a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. Unless you are doing illegal activities the feds don't give a damn about you or your life.
You are not aware of how much our quality of life depends upon investigative reporters, whistle-blowers, activists, and other people who publicize information that powerful people would like to be kept hidden.

You are also not aware of how important it is that technology companies that are innovative and doing good work stay in business, and not have their trade secrets stolen by criminal enterprises. When the honest companies are out of business, and only the criminals are left, our quality of life will also deteriorate.

The point about being able to listen in and monitor anyone's phone calls is not to necessarily monitor the activities of the peons, it is to stop embarrassing leaks, engage in industrial espionage, or blackmain decision-makers.

These are all things that will severely impact all of us.

*You* should get a grip.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:56 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
I'd say it's been about 8-10 years since phones have been using E-911 which allows this chip.

If you have a phone 10 years or older, you'd have to manually load it onto a network with your SIM Card, or forge an ESN to activate on Sprint or Verizion as they will not allow non E-911 phones to run on their network.

I hold a minor concern that these new phones without having removable batteries are going to be harder to turn "off" than we think.
That's why snowden put his in the microwave, or you could wrap it in foil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology