Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 05:17 AM

108 posts, read 148,317 times

Advertisements

I live in a small town in central Arizona (about 80 miles northeast of Phoenix) and I work in the Phoenix Metro area (Scottsdale) and I commute to and from work. Much of the drive is on a highway that is in between the two areas where there are no cities/towns and I can not get a good AM radio signal for much of this time. I really like listening to talk/sports talk radio, so it's really frustrating to end up getting mostly static for 20-30 minutes of my drive each day. I have iHeart Radio on my cell phone, and I have unlimited LTE data with T-Mobile, but T-Mobile does not get service for much of this drive, either, so that's not an option.

While driving home from work the other morning and listening to some AM radio sports talk show (either Outkick The Coverage with Clay Travis on Fox Sports Radio, or Mike & Mike on ESPN Radio), as the static started to take over the sound of the talking coming from the radio, I remembered how satellite radio used to be a thing and was a popular service, and I thought I'd try to see if it's still around and if it might be a good/affordable option for my situation.

So, I'm curious if any of you on here use or have used satellite radio? And if so, could you offer me some advice/suggestions and share some of your experiences with the service with me?

1.) Specifically, did/does satellite radio get a good/strong/clear signal even while driving outside of large cities/up in the mountains/in the desert? Or are there times/places where you will struggle to get a good signal even with a satellite radio receiver?

2.) Which is the best option/service: Sirius, XM Radio, or SiriusXM? And why?

3.) I would like to be able to listen to AM radio stations/shows - specifically, Fox Sports Radio, ESPN Radio, and the Coast to Coast AM radio show - do both/only one of these services offer all 3 of these stations/shows?

4.) Can anyone recommend a good, affordable satellite radio receiver? Around/under $40-$50, preferably. I saw some deals on Best Buy's website for some satellite radio receivers on sale for around $20, that seemed to have good reviews, but I'm not sure which service/receiver to try to purchase.

5.) Can anyone offer some specific suggestions for deals on a satellite radio subscription/monthly service for one of the satellite radio services?

As usual, sorry for writing so much. And in case it matters, I drive a 2000 Honda Accord and I currently have a Sony radio/head unit in it, that does have an Aux input on the front panel. If someone would reply and try to offer me some helpful advice/information, please know that it would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 05:44 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,982,813 times
I won't go point for point on answers, you'd have to look at each services channel lineup to see what's available, they don't rebroadcast your local AM/FM stations, but popular shows may be available. Fox has a number of their networks on Sat, ESPN as well IIRC (haven't had the service for years).

Sat radio actually works better out in the open than in cities, it needs a clear line of sight to the sky, tall buildings prevent this.

As far as deals, you used to be able to get renewals on ebay pretty cheap but not any longer it seems. If you let your subscription expire they'll start bombarding you with snail mail with discounts, last one I got was I think 20 or 25 bucks for 5 months of service.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:09 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,912,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I won't go point for point on answers, you'd have to look at each services channel lineup to see what's available, they don't rebroadcast your local AM/FM stations, but popular shows may be available. Fox has a number of their networks on Sat, ESPN as well IIRC (haven't had the service for years).

Sat radio actually works better out in the open than in cities, it needs a clear line of sight to the sky, tall buildings prevent this.

As far as deals, you used to be able to get renewals on ebay pretty cheap but not any longer it seems. If you let your subscription expire they'll start bombarding you with snail mail with discounts, last one I got was I think 20 or 25 bucks for 5 months of service.
hah this is what i like about them. Pay 20 bucks for 6 months vs 12+ a month.. I let mine run out and wait till i get the letter and reup it again.. 40 dollars a year not too bad, vs 100+ what they ask.

I drive 60 miles daily to work and love my sat radio. If you have open road, than it will be strong and sound is better.. Good luck.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:28 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,668,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Renegade View Post
1.) Specifically, did/does satellite radio get a good/strong/clear signal even while driving outside of large cities/up in the mountains/in the desert? Or are there times/places where you will struggle to get a good signal even with a satellite radio receiver?
Already answered, but yes.

Quote:
2.) Which is the best option/service: Sirius, XM Radio, or SiriusXM? And why?
Boy, you are out of the loop. Sirius and XM are no SiriusXM. They've merged.

Quote:
3.) I would like to be able to listen to AM radio stations/shows - specifically, Fox Sports Radio, ESPN Radio, and the Coast to Coast AM radio show - do both/only one of these services offer all 3 of these stations/shows?
SiriusXM Channel Lineup and Stations - SiriusXM Radio
There's also a free online trial you can check out.

Quote:
4.) Can anyone recommend a good, affordable satellite radio receiver? Around/under $40-$50, preferably. I saw some deals on Best Buy's website for some satellite radio receivers on sale for around $20, that seemed to have good reviews, but I'm not sure which service/receiver to try to purchase.
Any will work. The key is a proper install in your car.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:20 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,673,750 times
I drive all over Arizona without interruptions in satellite coverage. I have original equipment receivers in my cars, but aftermarket ones should work OK too. There are only occasional interruptions from the signal in places where there is very high terrain immediately adjacent to the car, but it's not frequent, especially on the 87 (for example). I can't really remember any big interruptions on that highway.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:14 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
I used to have XM in my car but got tired of dealing with all the wires involved,it was a Delphi 2 unit with cradle,if you do get into it get a unit professionally installed in your dash. For about $20 a month you get an impressive list of channels to chose from,well worth it IMO.
After about 5 years i got tired of it and cancelled my subscription,a friend told me if i dont turn on the unit for about a month after cancelling the subscription their cancel signal will not deactivate the service,seems to work as a year later i am not being debited the monthly charge and i still have full satellite radio service on my home unit.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:06 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,275,010 times
It certainly offers an entertainment bargain at 20 bucks for 5 or 6 months. I wouldn't pay regular price, personally... the sound quality is a bit lacking obviously, which is an ongoing complaint since the service began, but it's not totally terrible.

I find myself considering rejoining after reading this thread, lol... if I can get the discount.

Last edited by sholomar; 01-04-2017 at 09:16 AM..

Old 01-04-2017, 02:32 PM

16,541 posts, read 19,668,514 times
I never thought sound quality was poor. I just got a new car and a 4 month free trial. I'll comment back after I activate it.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:34 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,982,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I never thought sound quality was poor. I just got a new car and a 4 month free trial. I'll comment back after I activate it.
You can definitely tell the audio is highly compressed, even compared to FM the quality is noticeable, never bothered me as I'm not an audiophile.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:13 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,414,136 times
Hate paying regular price. They're not a agreeable anymore to the cancel threat as they've been in the past. I have two devices that I like to keep alive (car and portable for the RV). Can't see paying the $400/2 device fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology