Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 03:36 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times

Advertisements

I keep getting these damned calls from Card Services, always with different phone numbers, sometimes 800, other times just random. -- I checked all my credit cards and all are healthy with no unexpected charges. This has been going on for months.

Today I called one back, expecting a disconnected number or something. The person answered, "Card Services." I hung up.

This is just the scam, right?

As a secondary question, has anybody ever asked their CC company to give them an entirely different credit card number, just "because?"

And as a final thought, I'm thinking of changing my phone number. I'm getting several junk calls a day everything from what I described above, to calls where nobody ever says anything after I answer, all of them from all over. It's got to the point where I don't even answer my phone most of the time unless I recognize the caller ID or phone number. It's turned my phone into almost a useless piece of junk. -- It's just the thought of all the utilities and businesses and everybody else I'd have to update my phone number with (particularly business related) or I would have changed my phone number long time ago.

One of my favorite caller IDs is "800 SERVICE." At least I know that one is fake for sure. Unless it just means it's any 800 number. But I get 800 calls without that too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 04:05 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,834 times
Chances are very likely the caller is trying to scam you of your credit card number to make unauthorized charges. The scammers can easily spoof or "fake" the caller ID.

Thanks for posting this, as it never hurts to share this information with anyone who may not be aware of this type of scam called vishing - "voice phishing" or (phone fraud scam).

Last edited by maus; 03-01-2017 at 04:33 PM..

Old 03-01-2017, 04:15 PM

I posted it more out of public service motivation, and also curious how many others are getting deluged by such calls.

Like I'd ever give any information to somebody who called me and claims to be "Card Services."

If I didn't think it was a total waste of time, just for fun I'd like to ask "What card?" I guess they'd probably say Visa. (Best guess.) But I just end up wasting more of my time than if I just hang up.

As long as my CC statements (verified current charges online) are in order and my cards keep working my CC issuer has no reason to call me. And if the caller is legitimate, I'm sure continued not answering they'll turn off the card, and then I'll know to call them.

I sure wish it wasn't bad for your credit score to close cards. I don't have that many but I'm tempted to cut it down to two. Put all your eggs in one basket, then watch that basket VERY carefully.

By the way, if you REALLY want to talk to "Card Services" call the number on the back of your credit card! That one is for sure the real one!

Old 03-01-2017, 04:27 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,478,655 times
For a long time we got Rachel at Credit Card Services, then a rotating type of scam call. Even our cell phones are affected. We do not answer anything we do not know but let it go to answering machine. We are on the Do Not Call List which is totally ineffective.

I never carry a balance and watch all my charges carefully. Been around long enough to know these are all scams.

Old 03-01-2017, 04:28 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,774,958 times
They are a scam. Just Google "Card services scam".

The problem with them is they do not obey the "Do not call" registry and they use fraudulent practices when robo calling. You will NEVER be able to block their calls. Don't think that asking them to remove you from their list will help; it won't.

I had a real problem with them even though I do not carry a balance on any of my cards. They just don't stop calling.

Old 03-01-2017, 04:58 PM

Just to make it clear, I've been aware for the "Card Services" scam for a long time, maybe years. I never had a doubt the calls are fraudulent.

In any case no matter who the caller I always make them give ME information first! I've had callers that got so indignant that I told them (censored version), "It's my ------- phone and I'm the one who determines how it's used, and if you don't like that you can just go --------!!!"

I've been on the "do not call" list since the beginning, but it slowly started crumbling about 1-2 years ago. There was also some sort of understanding that cellphones were not to be called, and now that is starting to fail too.

And yes, robo calling. No way to stop that. No way to block random numbers.

And same thing with caller ID, they have had caller ID spoofing for a long time, and I suspect with VOIP service that by now you can use a device or software to set any caller number and caller ID you want.

And yet it gets worse! Do you realize that all the major cellular carriers have an email-to-text gateway where an email sent to a special email which your 10 digit phone number is part of, will appear as a text message on your cell? I'm starting to get those too!

This just keeps going on and on and on. First it was junk mail. Then they invented email and you got spam. Only in the last perhaps last decade did they start putting a damper on junk phone calls, causing passage of whatever legislation gave rise to the Do Not Call list and telemarketing regulations, now widely ignored. I suspect part of that is the government doesn't enforce it any more, or maybe most calls are spoofed and it is beyond the capability of the government to control. And the next big wave to hit will be junk text messages!

If you haven't heard about junk text yet, I promise you will. Fortunately my cell provider tells me there's a way to turn that off. I tried to follow their directions, didn't work. When the volume increases to an unacceptable level I'll call them back and have them walk me through it.

Jeez! For every form of communications there is somebody who wants to use and abuse it to force their messages on you!

It all started with those damned bible people knocking on your front door! Like yeah, I just decided to change my religion because you knocked on my door? ... I don't think so.

I guess I'm just ranting. All I know for sure is that my VOIP number is virtually useless now. If I wasn't running a business I'd just cut the wire and use my cell, but I don't want to be bothered by most businesses on my cellphone.

And anyway, you just know that the more people who cut the wire, the more this will shift over to your cell, and then you'll be getting "Card Services" calls while you're driving, shopping or eating in restaurants.

I wish they'd make Do Not Call work again. Or beef it up to deal with caller ID spoofing. Even better, fix the damned phone system so that caller ID spoofing is not possible.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:02 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
For land Lines I find Nomorobo blocks >95% of the calls but it is still annoying because it rings once before they get hung up on. Cell phone I don't have many issues but I hear there are pay services that work ok.

Old 03-01-2017, 06:20 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
YES, they are scam calls, and IO'm about to ask for a new phone number, as once you have answered, they KNOW you are there. ANd they try to do things like trick you into saying "YES" to "can you hear me" or the like so they can scam charge your credit card with a recording they place your "yes" into that sounds like you authorized them to charge something.

Ignore calls you don;t recognize and eventually, hopefully they will give up?

There are also calls that read out "US Federal Gov't...same deal A SCAM.

I rarely answer the phone when it rings these days. GOOD thing, I have a mechanical voice answering machine.

SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM ALERT!

Old 03-01-2017, 06:35 PM

If they are block dialing, changing your phone number won't help.

I also heard about the "yes" scam, similar but different. Not worth explaining.

I've been ignoring the calls for most of a year. I doubt hoping they will give up is a viable strategy.

I'd love for the government to phone me. Wow would I give them a piece of my mind! First Amendment, baby!!!

Old 03-01-2017, 06:38 PM

61,704 posts, read 87,101,195 times
I still have a landline home phone, but I didn't hear it ringing for a few years now...
The other day, just being curious, I checked if it still has a dial tone - it does. Checked the answering system - no messages.
Called myself from work, left a message - it works. Called myself from a cell phone, just to check on the ring - it rings.
So, I guess, the phone works. I just don't get any phone calls

Note: I am on the Do NOT Call List, the number is unlisted and unpublished. This combination seem to work for me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology