Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 08:17 AM

25,956 posts, read 24,675,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I think it has to do with the fact that overall, humans today, don't face the survival challenges that they did in the past.

At first, intelligence was most likely a major factor in our survival and reproductive probability, thus it increased rapidly, but that is not the case anymore. Over time, we have invented many things that replace the need for intelligence. In fact we are seeing a trend where people lack the ability to discern what is true from what is not true. We see many who don't understand science and who stand in denial of it...this leads to a complete dismantling of an informed democracy.
That might have to do with the confusion resulting from information overload. One can't really blame people for not knowing anymore what is correct and what isn't. Many decisions would require way more than common sense and high-school knowledge. People feel lost in view of their ignorance and thus fall for people who act as if they were in the know.

Many modern humans are very specialized in one area, but have no clue of anything else. Thousands of years ago there was so little knowledge that the difference between individuals was much less. If you had the time and motivation, you could easily learn whatever there was to learn. Now that is impossible.

I think even the less intelligent people of today are slightly more intelligent than people thousands of years ago. But the bright ones today are way more intelligent than people thousands of years ago. Of course it is probably just volatile intelligence that is lost when the person dies. Nothing genetic, that gets carried over to the kids.

Last edited by Neuling; 06-07-2017 at 08:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
As for our species, I believe that birth is a limitation-you can make a baby's head only so large before birth becomes unworkable.
There is already an epidemic of C-sections, at least here in Portugal.

Nor do I think that an increase of intelligence requires bigger heads. Neanderthals had bigger heads and brains than we do, but their brains were not quite as evolved as ours in terms of quality and they were not as smart as we are. (At least that is what I have read repeatedly, but who knows, maybe that is just the usual anti-Neanderthal sentiment of the past.)

Old 06-08-2017, 01:04 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,231,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That might have to do with the confusion resulting from information overload. One can't really blame people for not knowing anymore what is correct and what isn't.
Can you provide an example of each claim?
Quote:
Many decisions would require way more than common sense and high-school knowledge. People feel lost in view of their ignorance and thus fall for people who act as if they were in the know.
I don't know what most people feel thus I can't offer a true and valid response.
Quote:
Many modern humans are very specialized in one area, but have no clue of anything else.
I would say the opposite is true. Most intellectuals today have RANGE!
Quote:
Thousands of years ago there was so little knowledge that the difference between individuals was much less.
Can you please provide support for this claim?
Quote:
If you had the time and motivation, you could easily learn whatever there was to learn.
This is not the truth for everyone. This is only true if you possess the capacity to learn.
Quote:
I think even the less intelligent people of today are slightly more intelligent than people thousands of years ago.
Do you have anything to substantiate this claim?

Old 06-08-2017, 02:49 AM

It's what I have observed and deducted...

5 or 10ky ago life was very simple, society was not split into "intellectual classes", there was no "intellectual gentrification", not least because people did not have writing, yet.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:58 AM

Quote:
From ALL aspects of life on this planet? Can you honestly say yes?
Quote:
5 or 10ky ago
Can you please define this?

Old 06-08-2017, 03:27 AM

Quote:
From ALL aspects of life on this planet? Can you honestly say yes?
Can you please define this?
I don't understand your first question.

ky = kiloyear = 1000 years, a common abbreviation in such discussions

Go to bed

Old 06-08-2017, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I don't understand your first question.
You claim to have observed and deducted your conclusions...I am asking if you have based this conclusion on observing ALL of the life forms on this planet?
Quote:
ky = kiloyear = 1000 years, a common abbreviation in such discussions.
Perhaps in your neck of the woods.
Quote:
Go to bed
I doing my best to get there! No doubt when the alarm goes off I will be suffering.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:10 AM

Of course not for all life forms, I only care about humans in this context.

No, ky really is used in some scientific disciplines such as anthropology.

Yes, go to bed while I will go and do the laundry

Old 06-08-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Of course not for all life forms, I only care about humans in this context.

No, ky really is used in some scientific disciplines such as anthropology.

Yes, go to bed while I will go and do the laundry
I think we have not reached peak intelligence...especially since we are not utilizing 100% of our brains capacity. And not everyone is born as a child prodigy.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I think we have not reached peak intelligence...especially since we are not utilizing 100% of our brains capacity. And not everyone is born as a child prodigy.
Again, that notion is a myth and not supported by science:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_pe...the_brain_myth

Would be interesting to know in which respect a prodigy's brain differs from a normal brain, if at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology