Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2017, 11:00 PM

6,952 posts, read 6,877,619 times

Advertisements

Maybe the Citizen Scientist is the answer? The ordinary person who is passionate about a subject yet has no formal Masters or PhD science qualification? Obviously, this is not ideal, but unless there is money for science to investigate, then any unpopular subject will not attract funding and will not be investigated in a scientific way.

What we dont need is for orthodox science and science-types to attack and denigrate the efforts of these people who are investigating these subjects for the rest of the population. That is both unhelpful and unprofessional and, since science is trying to promote itself as an authority on some matters, it better make an effort to embrace the other matters it cannot investigate. To me this appears as a dog-in-the-manger response and is evidenced by the kind of derisory remarks we get when subjects such as Bigfoot, Aliens, Ghosts, and anything else which has not yet been 'explained' by science. If it appears to me this way, then it probably appears to others in the same way. I am not unique and I represent a certain percentage of the population.

I know, the science done by Citizen Scientists may be poor and may not be done in the correct way, but it IS something which is being done and it might provide a basis for a proper scientific investigation should the money suddenly be forthcoming in the future. These investigations and data not be able to be cited in future papers, which seems to be everything to science, but at least it is a start to solving the problem. Without this start, nothing is ever known and we get even more tales and stories which remain undocumented.

An example of this may be the 411 missing persons investigations in national Forests. David Paulides was a policeman and not a scientist, but, as a policeman, he is a credible investigator - at least it was good enough when he was in the force, so I assume it is good enough now he is not in the force any longer. So what of the information he documents? The folks who go missing in the forests is a really important issue for all of us and which needs money and time spent to investigate.

So, how do we, as a society, investigate things which are reported and for which there is no funding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 01:38 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times
The best science is done with paper and pencil and thought experiments.
Insight cannot be bought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology