Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 06:25 AM

4,213 posts, read 4,737,906 times

Advertisements

I want to take a drone on my Kauai trip coming up in 2 weeks. I have never used or handled one before.

Are they easy to learn how to use?

I was eyeing a few on Amazon and would love something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/DJI-Phantom-P...+phantom+3+pro

They're obviously not cheap though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 10:36 AM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Are they easy to learn how to use?
I own 2 DJI Phantoms.

They are incredibly easy to fly. Anybody can learn to do it in a few minutes. They automatically prevent you from flying in unauthorized places, such as around airports.

Learning all the features may take a few practice sessions. YouTube has many tutorials.

You can even have them fly and photograph a preset path all by themselves - you just stand and watch. Like this one of mine from last fall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t7piIxX3N0&t=56s

Old 06-15-2017, 12:23 PM

16,541 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Fact: the more expensive they are, the easier they are to fly.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
I own 2 DJI Phantoms.

They are incredibly easy to fly. Anybody can learn to do it in a few minutes. They automatically prevent you from flying in unauthorized places, such as around airports.

Learning all the features may take a few practice sessions. YouTube has many tutorials.

You can even have them fly and photograph a preset path all by themselves - you just stand and watch. Like this one of mine from last fall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t7piIxX3N0&t=56s
Thank you for sharing your video!!

Which model was used to film that one? On another forum they were saying I would need several weeks to learn to use it and that there are lots of rules/regulations surrounding using them, etc. They also stated it's a bit large to travel with but if I were to purchase one I know they have cases and I could carry it on.

I honestly was thinking to just stick to getting a GoPro instead.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Fact: the more expensive they are, the easier they are to fly.
So I should get a Mavic?

To be honest, I want something easy to fly because when I return from the trip I will likely re-sell it as I just want to use it for this trip).

Can't do that if I have trouble figuring out how to use it and crash or lose the thing....

Old 06-15-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Thank you for sharing your video!!

Which model was used to film that one? ..........
I used a DJI Phantom 4. The one you linked to it maybe not quite as convenient, but almost. If you get one, get an extra battery.

Basic flying it is very easy. It will take off automatically if you wish.

In flight it's just a matter of going up and down, forward and back, side to side, turning, etc. If you take your hands off the controls it hovers in place, so if you get confused on your first flights it won't crash.

If you get really confused (unlikely) or lose sight of it you press "Home" and it will fly back by itself and land where it took off (it has GPS).

As far as rules: I already mentioned that it will automatically restrict your flying in restricted areas. As far as other ones, if you use common sense you probably won't violate any of them - don't fly low over roads and distract drivers - don't get in the way of emergency helicopters - don't hover over strangers houses, don't fly over stadiums, etc. It's amazing how many drone pilots don't get this.

You will probably take some pictures on your first flight.

If you will have time for 6 or so flight sessions before your trip to practice and learn the more advanced features then I would say go for it. If you will be extremely busy with other things then I would say no.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:18 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Good topic! I have been thinking about getting to drone to drop off and pick up dry cleanings nearby. Will use to pick up food orders too. Glad to hear that these things are GPS enabled. I need one that can fly autonomously. I would enter the address and it would fly there and land for a certain amount time (long enough for people to attach stuff to it) and flies home.

Any recommendations?

Last edited by davidt1; 06-15-2017 at 04:31 PM..

Old 06-15-2017, 06:39 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
Transporting this to Hawaii may be a challenge. These operate with lithium batteries and there are restrictions on having them on airplanes.
You should have several battery packs so you don't have to wait while your pack is recharged. Charging the lithium batteries is not a trivial task since there is a serious risk of fire and explosion if they are mishandled. Chargers and power supplies are often overlooked in the capital costs of the hobby.
Stop by one of the radio control forums or electric flyer forums for more information. A real hobby store can help you, too. If you buy from them they will be more helpful.
You will need to have an FAA license, but that is trivial and is available on line.
You should join the Academy of Model Aeronautics, if for no other reason, than the education and liability insurance. Your homeowners may not apply.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:35 PM

People bring drones with them on airplanes all of the time, just as they bring laptops, tablets, cell phones, kindles, etc., which all have lithium batteries. Extra, uninstalled batteries can't be checked and have to be in your carry-on bag.

Lithium battery fires and explosions are very rare - in fact, when they happen they make the news.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:09 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Good topic! I have been thinking about getting to drone to drop off and pick up dry cleanings nearby. Will use to pick up food orders too. Glad to hear that these things are GPS enabled. I need one that can fly autonomously. I would enter the address and it would fly there and land for a certain amount time (long enough for people to attach stuff to it) and flies home.

Any recommendations?
We'll need a bit more information. What would be the total weight of the dry cleaning, bags, hangers, etc. that your drone will be carrying at any one time? How are you planning to secure the cargo to the drone?

Most of the dry cleaners in my area are staffed by a single person a lot of the time. I doubt they will be willing to leave their store to try and attach a payload to either a hovering multibladed drone or a drone lying on the ground. Are they supposed to lay your clothes on the ground and clip the hangers to the drone?

Also the best civilian GPS is not good enough to pinpoint WHERE at the address the drone will land. Not much use on the roof or in the middle of the parking lot. And if you are planning on manually piloting it, then GPS is irrelevant.

Best of luck, a successful implementation would make a great YouTube video.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology