Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 04:45 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times

Advertisements

I have read that climate change has slowed the next ice age which would kill off much of the planet. So thanks to climate change we are alive because there is no ice age yet.

In the long term, the sun will grow brighter and send more heat to our planet. Climate change prepares us to deal with the growing sun way in advance. Once again thanks to climate change we are prepared.

Ultimately the sun, the biggest climate changer, will destroy earth. So the crying and whining about climate change is moot in the larger scheme of things.

Last edited by davidt1; 10-02-2017 at 04:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 05:22 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Yes just by eyeballing it you would not say that it's flat-lined nor does the graph demonstrate this..
If this does not appear to you to be going down or at least flat lined I'd suggest a trip to the eye doctor is in order. That's about 2008 and onward.

Quote:
  • Cherrypick a very small amount of data during which the short-term noise has dampened the long-term incline.
  • Ignore the long-term trend.
  • Refuse to examine the reasons behind the short-term change.
LOL. I've done none of this, you better head to the reading comprehension class after your visit to the eye doctor. What I have done is provided what is probably the longest historical record we have of observed data and have pointed out an anomaly at the end. As I have explained this anomaly is a very small sample size and in the grand scheme of things doesn't mean anything.

If you have somehow managed to get something else out what I have posted feel free to point out the very specific things I have said that are not factual.

Last edited by thecoalman; 08-01-2020 at 05:29 PM..

Old 10-02-2017, 05:31 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I have read that climate change has slowed the next ice age which would kill off much of the planet. So thanks to climate change we are alive because there is no ice age yet.
This is pretty silly if you stop to actually think about it. You really should worry about global warming impacts in the next 100 years, not an ice age that won't occur in over 10,000 years.
Quote:
In the long term, the sun will grow brighter and send more heat to our planet. Climate change prepares us to deal with the growing sun way in advance. Once again thanks to climate change we are prepared.
Humans will be long gone before the sun becomes a red giant in 5 Billion years. So this thinking is a bit silly as well.
Quote:
Ultimately the sun, the biggest climate changer, will destroy earth.
Another silly myth. I highly recommend you actually learn about these myths so that you can understand why they are myths and stop spouting them. There has been no correlation between cosmic rays and global temperatures over the last 30 years of global warming. In fact, in recent years when cosmic rays should have been having their largest cooling effect on record, temperatures have been at their highest on record.

What's the link between cosmic rays and climate change?

Sun & climate: moving in opposite directions
Quote:
So the crying and whining about climate change is moot in the larger scheme of things.
No one is crying or whining. We just have a very misinformed world population that needs educating on facts vs. politically driven myths.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If this does not appear to you to be going down or at least flat lined I'd suggest a trip to the eye doctor is in order. That's about 2008 and onward.
A short term fluctuation downward is not a flat-line as you were claiming.
Quote:
LOL. I've done none of this, you better head to the reading comprehension class after your visit to the eye doctor.
Nothing wrong with my eyesight or my reading comprehension. Care to stop the ad hominem attacks and work on a civil discussion?
Quote:

If you have somehow managed to get something else out what I have posted feel free to point out the very specific things I have said that are not factual.
OK here you go.
Quote:
https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sl...?stnid=8518750
Note the downward trend since about 2010.... One thing to note about these graphs is that they do not account for land movement.
Climate science deniers love to hang on to this one little short term pot hole and to try and dismiss the fact that sea levels are rising faster than the previous century..

I recommend you watch this video...it goes over this climate science tactic.

If you can't spare the entire 4:30 minute video...skip to 2:55 and you will find your cherry picking myth exposed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBs_K59K6GY

Old 10-02-2017, 05:50 PM

It is not a myth that the sun is the ultimate climate changer. You contradict yourself in the same post, first admitting that the sun will become a red giant; then saying that sun is no climate changer. The gradually brighter sun will make the earth warmer and warmer and warmer. Man-made climate change problems pale compared to the heat brought on by the sun. All it take is common sense to see through this. Gradual increases in temperature is one major defining factor of climate change. Warmer temperature heats up water causing severe storms, rising water, etc. A brighter sun brings on the same problems but on a much larger scale. Given that the sun can and does do all this, how is it not a climate changer? Don't get stuck on cosmic rays this and cosmic rays that. Think Warmer Temperature.

Another way to look at this: a little further away from the sun and earth is frozen; a little closer and earth is a burning furnace. Still think the sun is not a climate changer?

Last edited by davidt1; 10-02-2017 at 06:00 PM..

Old 10-02-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
It is no myth that the sun is the ultimate climate changer. You contradict yourself in the same post, first admitting that the sun will become a red giant; then saying that sun is no climate changer.
You don't know what you are talking about.

While the link between cosmic rays and cloud cover is yet to be confirmed, more importantly, there has been no correlation between cosmic rays and global temperatures over the last 30 years of global warming. In fact, in recent years when cosmic rays should have been having their largest cooling effect on record, temperatures have been at their highest on record.
Quote:
The gradually brighter sun will make the earth warmer and warmer and warmer.
Man-made climate change problems pale compared to the heat brought on by the sun.
It's important to be knowledge about what you discuss. I posted 2 links in my response to you and it's clear that you did not take the time to read them.
Quote:
All it take is common sense to see through this.
What you posted may seem like common sense to you but it's nonsense.
Quote:
A brighter sun brings on the same problems but on a much larger scale.
Quote:
Given that the sun can and does do all this, how is it not a climate changer? Don't get stuck and cosmic rays this and cosmic rays that. Think Warmer Temperature.
Cosmic ray counts have increased over the past 50 years, so if they do influence global temperatures, they are having a cooling effect.

I would stop trying to rely on your common sense and instead educate yourself on theses topics.

Old 10-02-2017, 06:11 PM

So I guess the sun being a red giant will have a cooling effect on earth and it won't get vaporized and everything will be fine. Scientists will have a hard time swallowing this one.

Is it not a scientific fact that if earth was closer to the sun, it would be a lot hotter and there would be global warming gone wild? Or am I just dreaming this up? You are so silly cause you don't agree with me, says the impressionable climate change fanatic.

Last edited by davidt1; 10-02-2017 at 06:34 PM..

Old 10-02-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
So I guess the sun being a red giant will have a cooling effect on earth and it won't get vaporized and everything will be fine. Scientists will have hard time swallowing this one.
When the sun becomes a red giant means the sun is on it's death bead...this won't occur for another 5 Billion years. Earth won't matter at that point. But why waste the earth now? The earth will live on for another 5 Billion years. All stars die...it's just how the Universe works. So according to you this means don't take care of the planet while you can?

The effects of global warming are hitting us hard right now and the impact is going to be costly and deadly over the next 100 years.
Quote:
Is it not a scientific fact that if earth was closer to the sun, it would be a lot hotter and there would be global warming gone wild? Or am I just dreaming this up?
The fact is we are not closer to the Sun...we are in the Goldilocks zone, therefore there is no reason to bring up an off topic discussion that has NOTHING to do with global warming.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:06 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,164,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
The effects of global warming are hitting us hard right now and the impact is going to be costly and deadly over the next 100 years.
Climate change is costly and deadly... in 2017. Climate change made hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria worse due to abnormally warm Gulf of Mexico waters coupled with sea level rise.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Climate change is costly and deadly... in 2017. Climate change made hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria worse due to abnormally warm Gulf of Mexico waters coupled with sea level rise.
Agree and it will continue to be deadly and costly over the next 100 years.

Government and people will hopefully get tired of the associated costs and deaths tied to human caused global warming. Unfortunately I think it's going to take a lot of costs and death to wake the masses up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology