Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 11:19 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
My first cell phone was as big as my wired house phone. It didn't stick out of my back pocket because it wouldn't fit in my back pocket. The sizes kept getting smaller as they evolved and eventually my phone was the size of a fun size candy bar.

My current phone is bigger than that, but a tad smaller than an iPhone. It's a Samsung Galaxy series and it's a TracFone. It makes/takes voice calls; takes pictures; I can text on it but my son showed me the little microphone and now my big fingers don't get in the way!

It has some other doodads that I don't even bother to use. And the phone cost about $50.+ on sale and it costs $100. a year to run it. I'm inclined to agree with another poster who equated the iPhone with "keepin' up with the Joneses". Certainly, there are people who are required to have whatever technology exists in it, but for most, it's a statement.

And don't tell me I wouldn't understand - believe me, I do. Coming down the mountain, only one out of four people in the car had service. Guess who?
My $10 TracFone works great and I spend about $100/year total. I only use it for emergency calls or when the power goes out. Since a $20 card last me 90 days; I can even get an new phone every year; I could even get a new phone each year and still be under the $100/year. The current phone I have now is about five years old and still gets the reception of the best.

Maybe I am just too old to understand this compulsion about having the newest and best? At work I watch other workers at break and lunch that cannot communicate with each other. They sit by their selves and watch movies, play games, talk to people they don't know; but cannot talk to the coworkers along side of them. The only exception to that is when they find the next novel, new, disgusting, video online that they want to show off to a coworker - almost to say: 'Look, I can search better than you!'.

I am curious how much the average individual spends on the newest and best phone plus their contract and 'extra' charges. I look at Consumer Reports (https://www.consumerreports.org/u-s-...ns-save-money/) and it takes a lawyer and accountant to figure out which plan is best for you. They write these plans so consumers will never get the upper hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 11:33 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Apple got to where they are with marketing. A good product? Sure. But there were better products. The Rio Karma for example SMOKED any DAP Apple ever put out. These smaller companies couldn't compete where it mattered most: on TV.
There is nothing new under the sun. Apple's success is due to marketing the *right ideas* at the *right time*. The Mac was the first computer that could be used via a completely graphical interface, without having to use the command line interface. Did they invent this? No. The first working solutions for a graphical interface came out of Xerox PARC in the early 70s -- but that owed its concepts from Ivan Sutherland's PhD thesis in 1963. Sutherland was in turn inspired by Vannevar Bush's 1945 article, "As We May Think", which first defined the desktop metaphor.

Apple's history has one of seeing the right fork in the path and choosing it, even if at the time it seemed risky. The Mac added the USB port, and was mocked for it. Ditto with removing the CD drive. They invented neither of these things, but they knew how to read the present and future market. Henry Ford's and Thomas Edison's successes were also built on the backs of those who came before.

Buying a Macintosh was always like buying a Volvo rather than a Chevy Nova. You bought it because it would last, would require minimal maintenance, and would have a total cost of ownership lower than that of a PC. The enterprise market is recognizing this, which is why you see more and more articles like this one:

https://www.jamf.com/blog/total-cost...he-enterprise/

Interestingly, this has changed - a higher-end Windows 10 machine today in my opinion can be just as good as a Mac. A good part of this is due to Apple's influence on the market -- but it's gone two ways, and the Mac OS has also picked up things from Windows along the way. What I see happening with smart phones is similar. To claim all of Apple's success over the decades is due to TV marketing is just silly.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:05 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Something else that Apple has done was to introduce an "all-in-one" desktop, the iMac. It's very possible that the idea was already out there somewhere in some computer design, but it was Apple who made it popular starting around 2009 with the slim design. I started seeing these iMacs in futuristic movies, and now they are all over the place as the idea has caught with the PC market. I use two 2009 21" screen iMacs for photo editing, and the only thing I did to them was to max-out the RAM.

This is the future iMac Pro, but it will be expensive:
https://www.apple.com/imac-pro/

Old 11-18-2017, 01:52 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post

This is the future iMac Pro, but it will be expensive:
https://www.apple.com/imac-pro/
Well, it's focused at those professional users who can use all that power - like people developing virtual or augmented reality software, or video and graphic designers. Your average information consumer has no need of it - but that's not who it's aimed at - probably you as a photo editor don't need that much power, either. As the ad says,

Quote:
everyone from video editors to 3D animators to musicians to software developers to scientists

Old 11-18-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Well, it's focused at those professional users who can use all that power - like people developing virtual or augmented reality software, or video and graphic designers. Your average information consumer has no need of it - but that's not who it's aimed at - probably you as a photo editor don't need that much power, either. As the ad says,
Yes, that's true. There are other iMac models (the regular iMac) that aren't as powerful and cost a lot less. Well, still expensive starting around $1,200, but that's a lot cheaper then the iMac Pro.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:52 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
To claim all of Apple's success over the decades is due to TV marketing is just silly.
And everything you posted left them with what? A 10% market share at their peak? Apple IS the iPhone. Apple made the first 'cool' smartphone, no question. But if they had marketed like Microsoft was advertising Windows Mobile phones back then? Come on...
Some say Jobs was a genius. No. Jobs knew marketing. All the big guys forgot about that. Do you remember any Palm Pilot commercials? Windows mobile? Hell no.
Samsung finally realized "man, we better start marketing" and look where they are now.

Re: Apple in the enterprise. Yea OK. As an IT Manager supporting 40 Wndows workstations and 2 Apples let me tell you: there is still one long road ahead for Apple to make any headway in enterprise. They don't care about enterprise.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:51 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,088,791 times
Man I didn't expect this OP/question to lead to such a long thread.

Thanks for all the replies.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:21 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
My $10 TracFone works great and I spend about $100/year total. I only use it for emergency calls or when the power goes out. Since a $20 card last me 90 days; I can even get an new phone every year; I could even get a new phone each year and still be under the $100/year. The current phone I have now is about five years old and still gets the reception of the best.

Maybe I am just too old to understand this compulsion about having the newest and best? At work I watch other workers at break and lunch that cannot communicate with each other. They sit by their selves and watch movies, play games, talk to people they don't know; but cannot talk to the coworkers along side of them. The only exception to that is when they find the next novel, new, disgusting, video online that they want to show off to a coworker - almost to say: 'Look, I can search better than you!'.

I am curious how much the average individual spends on the newest and best phone plus their contract and 'extra' charges. I look at Consumer Reports (https://www.consumerreports.org/u-s-...ns-save-money/) and it takes a lawyer and accountant to figure out which plan is best for you. They write these plans so consumers will never get the upper hand.
Nothing wrong with using a TracFone. It sounds like for you that is the best option. It all depends on what you use your phone for. For me it is far from only a phone. I stated in another post about all the things that I use the iPhone for and those things I am betting could be used for any smart phone on the market. For me it is like having a personal assistant and with the amount of time I spend with work, kids, my wife, projects that I am working on, a basic phone would not cut it.

Take today. I received two proposals from vendors, sent them to my Director. He downloaded them, signed them, had our office coordinator scan them and send the signed copies back to me. I forwarded them to the two vendors and received a confirmation from both on when the work will commence. This took less than 10 minutes for the above to happen. If I had waited to get back to my desk and look at emails it might have taken a day to have all of this done.

Here is how we used to do things:

Day 1. In the past I would have checked my emails in the morning, at lunch, or around 2pm, printed up the proposals, submitted the proposal to the office coordinator, she would have placed the proposal in his inbox, he would have grabbed a stack of in boxed items and went thru those. Not sure where mine would have been on the stack. Chances are though we would have been into the next day.

Day 2. When the Director got around to the proposal he would sign it and put it in his out box. Sometime during the day the office coordinator would pick up what ever was in the out box. If she knew the fax number she would fax them out. If not she would get them back to me or who ever sent them so that we could take care of it. That might be another day before that got done.

Day 3. When I got the proposal I would either email it or mail it out to the contractor. Eventually we learned how to use scanners and found that with many contractors we could email the proposals back. At first this was something that I handled. Still got me out to day three in the process.

The money saved from doing things as fast as we can is well worth the cost of buying an iPhone. Our healthcare organization has realized this. Most of us have been using iPad's at our two hospitals and clinic systems. Next year many people are getting company issued iPhone's. The Doctors have been using them for years now. Most things in healthcare is sent electronically. With the iPhone's they have found that you can maintain security very well. We also have to include an app in all company provided devices that will eliminate the memory if the device is found to have a virus or some other kind of malware. If you want to use your personal iPhone it is not recommended for work in our system. I have too much data to deal with losing. I know, I should be backing it up more. I am lazy. LOL

Old 11-20-2017, 06:34 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,915,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
And everything you posted left them with what? A 10% market share at their peak? Apple IS the iPhone. Apple made the first 'cool' smartphone, no question. But if they had marketed like Microsoft was advertising Windows Mobile phones back then? Come on...
Some say Jobs was a genius. No. Jobs knew marketing. All the big guys forgot about that. Do you remember any Palm Pilot commercials? Windows mobile? Hell no.
Samsung finally realized "man, we better start marketing" and look where they are now.

Re: Apple in the enterprise. Yea OK. As an IT Manager supporting 40 Wndows workstations and 2 Apples let me tell you: there is still one long road ahead for Apple to make any headway in enterprise. They don't care about enterprise.

Yea they really do not care for business use in a domain setting. We have over 300 PC users and 5 mac users ( they refuse to let their G4s go) We got more issues out the macs then windows when it comes to a enterprise setting. But yet they want to price their 100 buck machines for the rich masses.. or the ones that choose monthly credit card debts.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Yea they really do not care for business use in a domain setting. We have over 300 PC users and 5 mac users ( they refuse to let their G4s go) We got more issues out the macs then windows when it comes to a enterprise setting. But yet they want to price their 100 buck machines for the rich masses.. or the ones that choose monthly credit card debts.
Why should Apple change when it's doing so well?
How Apple Inc. Makes Most of Its Money | Fox Business
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology