Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 11:23 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Do you really think the iPhone is still a status symbol? Imo, it's pretty ubiquitous. I never see iPhone users and think it's anything special. In fact, I expect to see the iPhone bc it's what most of us have. It's like a Honda.
Even though they're common, I really do think people think of them as a status symbol. For some reason they think iPhones are seen as "cooler" and don't want to be seen with an Android.

I always thought that was stupid, I had a Galaxy S3 from 2012 to 2016 and it was a great phone, it finally died after 4 years. There was probably an easy fix, but I switched carriers and got a new (but inferior) phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 02:11 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
I'm in my 60's......to me it's the younger folks version of what we used to call "keepin up with the Jones"

Old 11-14-2017, 02:32 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I'm in my 60's......to me it's the younger folks version of what we used to call "keepin up with the Jones"
I'm 22 and I use that expression

Old 11-14-2017, 04:21 AM

5,675 posts, read 5,885,028 times
I currently have a iPhone 6 PLUS. 2reasons - 1. My Galaxy wouldn't work with my truck, so when that contract was up I changed to the IPhone which does. 2, At the time, there wasn't a phone as big as the 6 Plus, and it was getting hard for me to see the screen. Ive had my 6 Plus long enough now my eyes are getting worse so its getting harder for me to see the screen on it.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:43 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
My in laws are in their 70’s. Both have an iPhone and Apple Watch. Why? Because they actually use them. Certainly not as a status symbol as they wear nerdy clothes and Tevas. They get to FaceTime with the grandkids every day.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:25 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,401,706 times
I used to upgrade my iphone every year when the new one came out because when they were relatively young, each year they changed quite a bit. Each incremental update was great. TouchID, for example, made a HUGE difference in my day to day activity since my employer requires long passcodes.

I stopped upgrading once I got the iPhone 6- every iPhone since then has been basically the same. I'm not interested in upgrading to the 8 or the X as they still don't have anything compelling for me.

Unfortunately, Apple got me this time- their iOS 11 software is so slow that my iPhone 6 isn't really cutting it anymore. It takes forever even just to send a text. I'm reluctant to fork over money to reward them for this poor behavior though so I may just pick up a used 6s or 7 instead of getting a new 8 or X. I use prepaid plans so that I'm not making any phone payments. I'm stuck with an iPhone though since my work only allows iPhones or Blackberries (lol!) for work email.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:30 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
I dont get the whole getting new smart phone every year either but then again what do i know i still have a flip phone lol.I agree its "keeping up with the Jones" but I would rather save my money

Old 11-14-2017, 08:58 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,090,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I used to upgrade my iphone every year when the new one came out because when they were relatively young, each year they changed quite a bit. Each incremental update was great. TouchID, for example, made a HUGE difference in my day to day activity since my employer requires long passcodes.

I stopped upgrading once I got the iPhone 6- every iPhone since then has been basically the same. I'm not interested in upgrading to the 8 or the X as they still don't have anything compelling for me.

Unfortunately, Apple got me this time- their iOS 11 software is so slow that my iPhone 6 isn't really cutting it anymore. It takes forever even just to send a text. I'm reluctant to fork over money to reward them for this poor behavior though so I may just pick up a used 6s or 7 instead of getting a new 8 or X. I use prepaid plans so that I'm not making any phone payments. I'm stuck with an iPhone though since my work only allows iPhones or Blackberries (lol!) for work email.
(I think) the "new" upgrade with this new iPhone (my buddy told me, who is getting one) face recognition..??? Correct me if I'm wrong...

Just stupid **** if you ask me. Even if I had the disposable income I wouldn't give basically the most powerful and money making company on the planet even more money.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:32 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Keeth View Post
I don't get it. Maybe I'm just a complete idiot, but why do people need/get a new iPhone every year, and how much better (if at all) than your average Android phone??

I feel like an idiot or like I'm out of the loop for not really knowing what this iPhone craziness is all about...?

I am thinking about getting a "new" Note 4 from my now Note 3, and to me that seems like it would be good enough for mr.

I don't know, maybe someone here can explain this Apple craze to me in layman's terms??
Each new phone has new features. If you're not an Apple fan, you won't understand. Oh and not everyone who is an Apple fan gets a new phone every year. My phone is 3 years old and it's needing replacement. The screen is burning out.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:00 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
My work phone was a 12 year old Nokia... it died.

Work alternates between Apple and Android...

I don't have a dog in this hunt... having used both the Android will have service where the Apple doesn't which came as a surprise or another way to put it is the Apple loses service first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology