Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2018, 02:31 PM

396 posts, read 434,524 times

Advertisements

Hi All! Hoping someone can offer up some advice, as I am a complete dimwit when it comes to electronics. Had someone install IR repeaters a few weeks back. Cable boxes are in the basement. All seemed to be well for a few weeks until a few days ago. We cannot change channels with the optimum (cable) remote. We can turn the tv on/off and change the volume, but not the channels. Have tried reprogramming the remote, changed out the cable box, but nothing works. Of course the guy who installed the repeaters, took the money and ran. No response from him. Do you think I just need to purchase a new IR repeater? The channels change with the remote f I go down to the basement. It is just the one tv. The cable boxes are side by side. Any ideas? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 08:05 PM

23,585 posts, read 70,350,712 times
IR repeaters are dumb appliances, in that they poorly repeat what they have been told. I have one that I have had for years. From my experience, your remote may need fresh batteries, and there may be a need to aim it at a bright light colored wall instead of directly at the IR receiver. The emitter in the basement might not be aimed exactly right either, or it might work better if aimed at a sheet of white translucent plastic or white paper, so that the receiver there gets a better chance to decode the IR signal.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:45 PM

396 posts, read 434,524 times
Thanks Harry! Had no idea IR repeaters were so finicky. Will try all of the above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology